NCD: Matrix NL212

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
For those of you who don't know, this is the NeoLight 2x12" cab from Matrix - super-light, with neo speakers and bottom ported to let some bassy goodness out.

Mine's just arrived, and having had a 10-minute tonk around with it and comparing it to my Jet City 2x12", I can say a few things:

1 - It's not as toppy or brittle as neo speakers are assumed to be
2 - In fact, the overall sound is very balanced and pleasant
3 - Scratch that, it sounds pretty bloody good
4 - Plenty of low-end at loud-home volume
5 - I have no worries about how it's going to sound with the band
6 - Ye fucking gods, it's light. I don't just mean "not very heavy"; it's actually *light*. Lighter than my lead bag (with the small pedalboard in it).

Any of you with a bad back really need to think about getting one of these things.

@lightninboy - excellent work with these things. I'm thoroughly impressed.
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Very expensive? Needs pics or it's a vertex
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    just picked up a Matrix xt800.  Would be a match made in heaven I suspect.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    timmysoft said:
    Very expensive?
    Google suggests £498.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Sporky said:
    timmysoft said:
    Very expensive?
    Google suggests £498.
    Yep - although this one was slightly cheaper as it's B-stock (from a deal done at the Guitar Show).

Not the cheapest cab on the planet, but given how much pain it's going to save me from...it's well worth it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28035
    That doesn't seem a ridiculous price to me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited March 2016
    Sporky said:
    In the grand scheme of things, no. However, you have to bear in mind that I come from a world of £120 Jet City cabs, so it was a bit of a jolt ;)
    <space for hire>
    prh777 said:
    just picked up a Matrix xt800.  Would be a match made in heaven I suspect.
    It's actually designed - to my knowledge - to go with the VB800, the JCM800-alike hybrid amp. That's what I tried it with at the show, and it sounded great (especially with the Suhr Riot they had on hand...).

Sounds great with my Kraken too; haven't tried it with the JCA50H yet.
    <space for hire>
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    digitalscream;70656" said:
    For those of you who don't know, this is the NeoLight 2x12" cab from Matrix - super-light, with neo speakers and bottom ported to let some bassy goodness out.

Mine's just arrived, and having had a 10-minute tonk around with it and comparing it to my Jet City 2x12", I can say a few things:

1 - It's not as toppy or brittle as neo speakers are assumed to be2 - In fact, the overall sound is very balanced and pleasant3 - Scratch that, it sounds pretty bloody good4 - Plenty of low-end at loud-home volume5 - I have no worries about how it's going to sound with the band6 - Ye fucking gods, it's light. I don't just mean "not very heavy"; it's actually *light*. Lighter than my lead bag (with the small pedalboard in it).

Any of you with a bad back really need to think about getting one of these things.

@lightninboy - excellent work with these things. I'm thoroughly impressed.
    Ive been eyeing one of these for the exact same reason
    @Cabicular - I was going to say that you're welcome to try mine out if we end up gigging in your neck of the woods any time, but then I realised that the odds of us ever playing that far north are extremely limited ;)
    <space for hire>
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    There are only 2 gigs up here and they are both mine!!!! ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    There are only 2 gigs up here and they are both mine!!!! ;)
    :D

Well, the best thing I can say about this right now is that it really does sound the way you'd expect a guitar cab to sound - and a much bigger, heavier cab to boot.

Can't really say any more until I've got it wound up at band volume, so you'll have to wait until after Thursday evening for a proper assessment :)
    <space for hire>
  • Did it come with a cigarette case?
    Did it come with a cigarette case?
    I feel like there's a joke I should be getting here...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Been thinking of one for ages as well.  

I do have a Zilla 2x12, that is ported and while not light goes have casters, so isnt a problem apart from stairs and car boots. 

The + for the Zilla is weight, and hopefully being quite neutral sounding (while not sounding flat) as I use an AFX, that would (in theory) give a better platform for the individual amp sims to shine through.

- points, worried about the neos - and the lifelessness/brittleness that tend to have, and the fact I do like the Zillas look.

I may try one if/when I sell my GT1000FX as it would get 80% of the money I need for the cab.  I do have a bad back.....
    The + for the Zilla is weight, and hopefully being quite neutral sounding (while not sounding flat) as I use an AFX, that would (in theory) give a better platform for the individual amp sims to shine through.
    The NL212 isn't neutral-sounding at all - at low volumes, it's a bit like a V30 with added clarity in the low end (so more like a V-Type, I guess).

It's also definitely not lifeless or brittle.
    <space for hire>
  • Been thinking of one for ages as well.  

I do have a Zilla 2x12, that is ported and while not light goes have casters, so isnt a problem apart from stairs and car boots. 

- points, worried about the neos - and the lifelessness/brittleness that tend to have, and the fact I do like the Zillas look.

I may try one if/when I sell my GT1000FX as it would get 80% of the money I need for the cab.  I do have a bad back.....
    May help you to know that we don't use the Celestions in the NL cabs anymore. They were a little bit brittler sounding. We got a very excellent Italian speaker manufacturer to build us a Neo V30 (bizarrely something that no one else thought to ask them to do) and they've done a stellar job. Tiny bit more top end than the real thing but easily sorted by knocking the Presence down on a real amp or tweaking a preset. 

Whilst we did have one eye on the VB800 when these things were built (which was way before we finished the VB800) we knew also that the lightweight route was something we wanted to pursue in all areas so seemed like a good idea. Hopefully my nagging about a 4x12 will pay off soon!
    Matrix Amplification Product Elf and Guitar Demonstrator!
  • Um.  Ill see how things go.  Im not a huge fan of V30s on their own.  I do like them mixed with a G12h70 or a CL80.

Ideally Id want either a neutral sound - more EV type, OR something very close to what I have (the V30/G12H70 mix).  
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I SO want a vertical version of this cab! I know you could put feet on one end and use it that way but I'm not sure the port would work as well like that? Would also look a bit odd I think.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24203
    Sporky said:
    In the grand scheme of things, no. However, you have to bear in mind that I come from a world of £120 Jet City cabs, so it was a bit of a jolt ;)
    Stay away from good bass cabs then!
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Always fancied one of these, more now I live in an apartment with no lift.