"Best" parlour guitar for under £500.

Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
So I have a bonus due at the end of April and looking to spend maximum of £500 on an acoustic parlour guitar.  Looking for something that has a bit of poke, kind of bluesy/country style stuff, fingerpicking rather than flat picking really.

I'm kind of looking towards a Faith Mercury, maybe the naked series because I'd prefer something a bit more stripped down but suggestions welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    I really liked the vintage Paul Brett . But ended up going for an alverez masterworks mahogany , really lovely smooth tone to it. The Paul Brett sounded better than the faith when I played them next to each other. It had more volume and felt more playable but that could of just be the set up.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I had a Tanglewood TW73 parlour for a few years - it's actually one of the few guitars I truly kick myself for ever selling as it sounded superb.  Bit over budget new, but certainly well below if used.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766

Fuzzdog said:
    I had a Tanglewood TW73 parlour for a few years - it's actually one of the few guitars I truly kick myself for ever selling as it sounded superb.  Bit over budget new, but certainly well below if used.
    I've played a couple of small bodied Tanglewoods and both were nice guitars, well worth checking out.
    There's the Sigma 00M-15s which is well under budget at £300.00 and someone will be along to recommend the Taylor GS mini, shortly.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    BigLicks67;1004338" said:
    and someone will be along to recommend the Taylor GS mini, shortly.
    Nah - I'll sit this one out....
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I've got a Tanglewood tw133. I went to quite a few shops and tried loads out and that one just seemed to be the one for me. It's the first decent acoustic i've had so i'm not a great expert but i love it. It really comes alive when you finger pick and can be quite a ballsy guitar for a little parlour. 

• I've got a Vintage Brett 12 and love it. I'd also check out Sigma- they do a nice line in Martin clones.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Thanks for the suggestions!  I have had a GS Mini before and I didn't really get on with it, found the necks a little too narrow but they were quality.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited March 2016
    Hi,I've recently got a Sigma 00028vs for under £500.Good specs bone nut and saddle,all solid rosewood. For the price I couldn't be more impressed as it sounds and plays great.Its keeping my Martins in their cases at the moment. Worth a look.
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    I have a Faith Mercury parlor which is excellent - really nicely made, great sound and nicely set up from the off.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I would have to say the guild f20 reissues are amazing I have an original 60s and its the greatest acoustic on the planet, that's not opinion that fact :)
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    DaiCapp said:
    I have a Faith Mercury parlor which is excellent - really nicely made, great sound and nicely set up from the off.
    Do you have one of the full fat versions or a naked/natural series?  I had one of the full fat saturns which my dad still has and it's great but they've gone up quite a lot since I last bought one!
    Arktik83 said:
    DaiCapp said:
    Do you have one of the full fat versions or a naked/natural series?  I had one of the full fat saturns which my dad still has and it's great but they've gone up quite a lot since I last bought one!
    I have a naked one - as you can imagine it's 'textured' on the surface when you first get it (I actually really liked the feel - very organic) but it's soon got smooth where my hand and arm rest...
    Arktik83 said:
    DaiCapp said:
    I have a naked one - as you can imagine it's 'textured' on the surface when you first get it (I actually really liked the feel - very organic) but it's soon got smooth where my hand and arm rest...