Taylor GS Mini . . . The rumours are all true . .

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
edited March 2016 in Acoustics
I've finally managed to buy a GS Mini and I can honestly say that the rumours are all 100% True . . . They are absolutely bloody amazing . . They sound amazing, feel amazing, play like a demon . . . Completely blown away . . I thought my 414 CE was good, and don't get me wrong it's really fucking good but in terms of value for money, these things are the mutts nuts . . . I paid £300 for it secondhand and it included the Taylor pickup which is pretty good too . . . Bob Taylor and his team have created a real gem . . Excellent . . .
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    As I've said many times before, mine sits on a stand behind the sofa - I pick it up more than any other guitar I own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Aye, I've found mine a great songwriting tool in the last couple of years. It's just so comfy to slouch on a sofa with and noodle ideas, and the neck feels good for doing electric guitar style riffs which I find inspiring as that's usually what I'm writing for.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I have to disagree, sorry! Most Taylors I've tried (other than a very high-end nylon-strung one) don't play well for me. I find Martin superior, and prefer Larrivee over both! However, HNGD!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I have to disagree, sorry! Most Taylors I've tried (other than a very high-end nylon-strung one) don't play well for me. I find Martin superior, and prefer Larrivee over both! However, HNGD!
    and that is how you piss on someones chips
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    meltedbuzzbox;1009959" said:
    and that is how you piss on someones chips
    And the GS Mini has a satin neck too....
    I did say sorry and wish him a hngd - apologies again though! Everybody's different, sounds like the OP had found a great guitar for him :)
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    Each to his own . . . I just can't fault it though :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

That's good man, glad you like it :)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    It's a great songwriting and travel tool. mine gets played more than any other acoustic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    HNGD :)

I recently got a 114e and I adore it. The projection from the spruce top is fantastic. I'm thinking of getting a mahogany GS Mini as well.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
    Yeah they're really fun little guitars. Great little travel guitar and for general situations when the Collings is too precious. Really handy for kids to learn on too and super playable!
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    The neck on these just feels a bit cheap for my liking but they r decent little guitars
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Well it lasted two months, but yesterday I got another GS Mini. I had some regrets selling the previous Rw version, it has started opening up, felt great, sounded great, but I wasn't sure it was right for my only acoustic and sold it to purchase an OM, and then not surprisingly found that I don't take that anywhere.

I was very fortunate to receive a long time service award at work and have used it to purchase a std GS Mini. My first thoughts are it isn't as bright as the RW model I previously had, and I had certainly missed that Taylor wood smell.

Funnily, my wife has already asked if am going to sell the Martin (or should I say hinted). And at the moment that is not something I can answer. They are two very different guitars in feel and sound. I guess I will have to see which gets the most playing time. However, I wouldn't have the GS Mini as my only guitar, although in not sure that's what my wife meant.

edited April 2016
    @Gru. Wait so you had a GS Mini, sold it, bought a Martin OM (which one?) and now bought a GS Mini again?

I bought a Little Martin years ago. Played AMAZINGLY well. Loved the small nature, easy to play strings. Sounded flat, though. But I've got small hands and it was easy to play for me. 

Bought a Larrivee OM-02 which sounds absolutely fantastic - all wood for about £800 at the time. However I do miss the smaller guitars... but would never get the same sound out of them. The B strings on Larrivees are special - they really ring out... like a 12-strong, almost! They have slightly flatter fingerboards so I may be making this up (or not) but I find barre chords a tad difficult at times. 

I recently play the Little Martin again. I remember why I sold it. Doesn't sound anything like the Larrivee. 
    GS Mini felt solid enough but again didn't have that sound. The only Taylor I've loved was a 3k+ nylon string and it was "wow."

I don't like huge dreadnoughts. 
    I don't like gloop all over the body of an acoustic, either. 
    Nor do I like heavy string gauges. The Little Martin played like an electric!
    I took the gauge on my Larrivee down from 12 to 11 and it plays better for me. 

Ideally I'd like something smaller with Martin playability and Larrive sound, with a slightly curved fingerboard. Cutaway not completely essential. In-built (reliable) electrics a bonus. 

Every time I go try an acoustic (actually rarely as I'm more an electric player, but I'm maturing.... ;)) I come back, play the Larrivee and I'm wowed... Maybe I need a smaller version or need to practice my barre chords ;)
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    thomasross20;1052587" said:
    @Gru. Wait so you had a GS Mini, sold it, bought a Martin OM (which one?) and now bought a GS Mini again?

I bought a Little Martin years ago. Played AMAZINGLY well. Loved the small nature, easy to play strings. Sounded flat, though. But I've got small hands and it was easy to play for me. 

;)
    In a nut shell yes. I only play acoustic, but I think I am still learning what I like.

I've never been able to justify owning multiple expensive guitar, and tbh the ones I have now, in acoustic terms, are still not expensive, but having £1k+ tied up in guitars is a lot when I only play for fun/relaxation and up until now have only played a few acoustics over £500.

The Martin is a OMXAE, all hpl and strata bond (bar the bracing). It has a very mellow, smooth sound, can be played super quiet and still sound balanced. I like the nut width and string spacing. Some of the great things are that it sounds the same today as it did when I purchased it 2 months ago, no breaking in :-), not effected by humitidy and super solid construction.

I've owned a few small body guitars now. A Martin LXM, LX1e and GS Mini and as you said above, the Little Martins just sound a little flat

Why the GS Mini again? Firstly it didn't cost me anything :-). But since owning the OM, I haven't taken it anywhere. I have always taken smaller guitars places (in laws, holidays, sometimes work).

I also missed that brighter tone with its clarity. I always play by my fingers and it works really well for that, if I want to strum and get some more zing the GS Mini works great. At the moment I am going to have to pick it up a lot to break it in and remember how the RW version started to loosen up after a couple of weeks of constant playing.

I did think that I may struggle with the slimmer neck and string spacing, but no problems so far, maybe even a little easier to get my fingers around the neck.

As I said above, they are two very different sounding guitars. As time goes by, my taste for sound may develop and I may look at other options, but there is no denying that the GS Mini is a very good lounge guitar as well as a travel guitar.
    I'll need to check this OMXAE... 

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Larrivee's if you ever get the chance. OM2/L03 are under £1k and all-wood - within the budget you set. I do miss the size of my Little Martin - like you, I used to be able to take it everywhere quite easily. 

I'm on the cusp of getting something more expensive or something like a GS Mini - unsure.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    FWIW I haven't found better strings for mine than the Elixir Nanoweb 12's. Worth a try
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    maw4neu said:
    I've finally managed to buy a GS Mini and I can honestly say that the rumours are all 100% True . . . They are absolutely bloody amazing . . They sound amazing, feel amazing, play like a demon . . . Completely blown away . . I thought my 414 CE was good, and don't get me wrong it's really fucking good but in terms of value for money, these things are the mutts nuts . . . I paid £300 for it secondhand and it included the Taylor pickup which is pretty good too . . . Bob Taylor and his team have created a real gem . . Excellent . . .
    Is this the same guitar that is now for sale in the Fretboard classifieds?
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    maw4neu said:
    Is this the same guitar that is now for sale in the Fretboard classifieds?

Sadly yes . . . but Ive got the Taylor 414 CE and there's no way I'd part with it  . . . I know I'll regret selling them but my SG and my GS Mini will have to make way for a 62 AVRI Stratocaster . . . If I had lots of money Id keep them all :-) but I haven't and I cant . .   GAS takes no prisoners but GS Mini's are awesome guitars regardless of my GAS issues :-)

That was fast lol