Fried Chicken Thread

BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
edited December 2013 in Off Topic
All the food threads! I love fried chicken and live in Nottingham. What's your favourite FC spot? Would be mighty helpful if it were local to me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    actually, if you ever visit, Barbados has KFC way better than the UK, but my favourite is the spicy FC at amazing local chain Chefette:

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Just had KFC. I was not to be put off by the fried chicken head.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    edited December 2013
    if I eat fried fowl, which is rare, its only ever stuff I cook myself - I detest shite like KFC
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    if I eat fried fowl, which is rare, its only ever stuff I cook myself - I detest shite like KFC
    In Barbados, FC seems to be the national dish - alongside the spicy fish and rotis , and every KFC I went in was packed with locals, all day - not just a pub closing time. Therefore the KFCs all had amazing chicken.

I was in Prague in 1990, and saw Fried chicken for sale - in a standup cafe (just steel counters to stand at with your plate), selling food at one end, beer at the other, I indicated 2 pieces please (with the chips being weighed on your plate, as they did back then), Took a bite and found it was battered cauliflower. Doh.

Anyway, I've been diagnosed with coeliac disease 2-3 years ago, so have to make my own FC now. It's not hard to make nice stuff, celery salt, a few herbs, pepper, etc
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    It's not hard to make nice stuff, celery salt, a few herbs, pepper, etc
    oh indeed,  there's so many subtle variations...........paprika or not, smoked or not,  sage or not, garlic or not.........how much chili ?  mustard powder or not..........soak the chicken in milk.........a little corn flour (fine polenta) or not............ I think we can see where this is going

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The chippy at the end of my road did do fantastic fried chicken.

Since I got Crohn's, I can't eat it anymore.

:-<

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I used to get this amazing Malaysian fried chicken powder from Wing Yip, way better than plain old KFC style, but it contained wheat of course

There are some web recipes, so I think I'll make my own with cornflour

btw, have any of you tried real Chicken Fried Steak?