Finished! Booboo build

What's Hot
SargeSarge Frets: 2370
edited August 2016 in Making & Modding
One piece Booboo ash body.
Northwest Guitars 21 fret maple neck (used,barely...saved£60 on a new one)
Wilkinson WVPC trem.
NW guits fake tort plates and jack plate.
Switchcraft jack.
Fender Strat MIJ 80's loom from these here classifieds.
@JookyChap is very kindly supplying a set of Klusons ( Cheers  bud)
And the pickups are Voltage Vicious set, extremely generously donated to the LuckyBag currently doing the rounds, would like to know and thank whoever added these!  The neck had been rewired with pvc so I redid this with matching waxed cloth covered wires.

My original idea was to build a semi-replica of the Korean Fender Lite Ash strat, but as is the norm with me, that changed.

body will be (probably) unfilled grain, uncoloured Tru-Oil. maybe keep the neck's satin poly finish, depends how it looks with the oiled body, if not, Tru-Oil again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Good effort @Sarge, we do indeed appear to be at similar points in similar builds, the race is on!! however I'm at the mercy of waiting for pickups to be wound......look forward to updates......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    I'm going to hang on till the tuners arrive so I can make sure everything is A-Okay before I start the finishing. Also I suspect the pocket depth needs attention despite all the measurements matching the Fender ones, seems like the neck is too proud of the body.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    That body is lush. Looking forward to seeing this finished ;)
    Me too matey!
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    Great project - I confess I have a weakness for a nice one piece body and tru-oil. Looking forward to the next pics.
    I couldn't wait so set it up with some tuners, the neck pocket is maybe 0.5mm too high as the saddles were about 2 full turns from their maximum, not the end of the world as some light sanding/filing should sort that in no time.
    I only set it up to check it was all ok, 2 hours playing through my diddy Orange micro amp later and it sounds and plays great! Happy dayz!
    Nice! 
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So today I finished the unfinished cutaways and a general fine finishing sanding.
    I admit to having a 1st world problem trying to decide wether to either grain fill and use Rustin's Plastic Coating for a gloss finish, grain fill and stain with a tru oil finish or because there isn't a great deal of open grain in the ash, just a neat tru oiling.

Option 3 won over :)
    1st 2 coats are now on and drying in the nice warm shed!
    pics later.
    Instant gratification with the simplest finish....love it!

edited April 2016
    Indeed!

2 coats, 1 wire wooling then one more coat all in a couple of hours.

I realised as I hung it up to dry that I forgot to drill for the trem claw earth connection, can this be earthed any other way, say by soldering to the copper shielding in the cavities?
    Under the shed's led light I have just discovered some horizontal machine marks on both faces of the body, evidently I didn't take enough off with the sanding block. Odd that these didn't show when I wetted during sanding to raise the grain, under sunlight.

Tomorrow I'll get the palm sander out and 240g the faces and start again, sigh.
    edited August 2016
    Some pics of the machine marks, a thickness sander maybe?

It's no big deal, I'll just take the sander to the faces and oil her up again!

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    For some reason @Sarge can't see the latest pics but yes - a finish will show up marks you can't see in the sanded stage.  I quite often (usually) have to do at least one more sand after the first sealing coat of the finish....
    Thanks for the heads up on the failed pics @Andyjr1515, they seemed fine on pc but blank on Android, I've reposted them.
    I'm being taken out for my birthday today so all progress will halt till this evening or more a sober tomorrow morning....
    A couple of lessons learned this morning, firstly, using a B&D mouse palm sander at 9am with a mother of all hangovers isn't a particularly good idea.
    And secondly, I now understand just how deeply the Tru-Oil actually soaks into the grain, yesterday I took most of the oil off with sandpaper and a block so I don't use too many expensive palm sanding pads as the oil will load the paper pretty quickly.
    As it happens I had to use all 6 pads and 2 hours later I'm good to oil again.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Some of the pics aren't working for me :(

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

Well @hobbio I've reloaded the pics.
    They're google based so maybe try logging in to google?
    Other than that I don't know what else to do.
    edited August 2016

https://goo.gl/photos/2YHZGPfp57h9JoVa6
    That's a link to the online album.
    Looking good Sarge!

OK so I'm about 15 coats in and a couple coats rubbed off with wire wool.
    I don't buff these first coats off, I just like to build up a nice workable layer, the next 5 or 6 will be buffed off shortly after application and I'm going to try thinning the last coat a little bit with white spirit so I can get a semi gloss finish.

Today between coats I levelled and dressed the frets on the neck, there was very little to remove with just a tiny bit of wear, but a few of the frets were very slightly low, and I also gave it a wee fall away from the last 6 frets.

I'm rubbish at remembering to take progress pics so you'll just have to believe me :)