Slides, type and finger?

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
I want to look at getting a slide to mess around with. Is it all personal preference? Or should I be going for brass or chrome initially? Little finger? Ring finger? Or whatever feels best?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 450
    Different folks, diff'rent strokes, etc.  But I like to put the slide on my 4th (pinky) finger.  Even if you were to use another finger, it is often very useful to be able to damp some / all strings behind the slide - so I'd typically damp with my index finger.

Find a slide that is comfortable.  Different weight and material will sound different, but glass ones could shatter in transit if you're not careful.  For me, generally a heavier brass slide sounds better, but you'll have to experiment.

And you probably know about open tunings, heavier strings and higher action?
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Thanks. Forgot about the action. I will take that into consideration. Maybe have a "slide guitar" for a while :)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I generally use my pinky too as it opens up the other fingers for comfortable fretting. I prefer glass slides though - the Planet Waves Glass Bottle has a whiff of authenticity about it, sounds good and is cheap.
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    After trying all kinds of slidesmetal/glass, half-tube etc, 2nd, 3rd or pinky,.... thru this site I stumbled across my perfect brass slide, check out www.jetslide.com. Its very tolerant to low action and light strings, but its still a solid piece of brass to develop the tone. Its unique design allows you to play unhindered chords & lead solos and instantly flip in & out of slide. I think its only available by mail order to US hence delivery is slow and pumps up the price, but to me, even after a month of waiting - it's well worth it and made slide an everyday thing!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Whatever material - my preference is glass, though brass is good for players who use a lot of gain - make sure it's heavy.

Light, thin slides produce a light, thin tone, with poor sustain.

I always wear mine on my little finger. As others have said, being able to damp the strings using your other fingers behind it is essential. I never use a pick - playing with your fingers gives you the best opportunity to damp with your right hand. Apart from learning to playing in tune, damping is the single most important technique to master in playing 'professional' sounding slide.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    (As an aside, I'm amazed @gassage hasn't chimed in here...)

Id like to learn slide too and learn it 'proppa'

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I'm a bit odd with the slide, I like it on my middle finger, mainly as that leaves finger 1 and 3 free for fretting / riffing. You can still mute the string you don't need.

I like glass slides. I don't like the buzz that metal ones can give.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3667
    I've been through all sorts of slides; glass, metal (steel and brass) and even used a long socket from a socket set for a while. In the past year I have settled on a ceramic slide which I bought from http://www.starsingerslides.com/ at the Birmingham Guitar Show last year. They do all sorts of cool finishes but the weight and the finish are what made it for me. I use mine on my ring finger by the way. The finger doesn't really matter, look at Bonnie Raitt who plays with her slide on her second finger and it doesn't seem to have done her much harm.

• slackerslacker Frets: 2234

IMHO brass is the way to go initially as it's easier to get a good sound. I have to adjust my technique when using glass and I'm clumsy.

I use the slide on my little finger, it's more comfortable for me.

I would recommend tuning to D or G initially. I'd also recommend playing a long to a lot of Mick Taylor era Stones to get comfortable with open tuning. Then I'd look at some Ry Cooder and Seasick Steve. For standard tuning, play along to Handle With Care by the Traveliing Wilburys, there's two very simple solos that are fun to play. Also look at Stay Tonight and Torn (the Cherry bloke and Natalie whatshername) both simple parts.

Have fun.

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    This http://www.wolframslides.com/mssig.php Cheap at twice the price, and anything else is just a toy :P
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    I've never got the hang of glass ones. Always used a half-length brass on my third finger, though I haven't played any slide for AGES
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    BahHumbug said:
    This http://www.wolframslides.com/mssig.php Cheap at twice the price, and anything else is just a toy :P

Jesus!!!

Thanks for all the advise. I will pick one up (not a £250 one though!) and have some fun!

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    erky32 said:
    After trying all kinds of slidesmetal/glass, half-tube etc, 2nd, 3rd or pinky,.... thru this site I stumbled across my perfect brass slide, check out www.jetslide.com. Its very tolerant to low action and light strings, but its still a solid piece of brass to develop the tone. Its unique design allows you to play unhindered chords & lead solos and instantly flip in & out of slide. I think its only available by mail order to US hence delivery is slow and pumps up the price, but to me, even after a month of waiting - it's well worth it and made slide an everyday thing!
    I mainly use a Jetslide on my third finger, so I've still got the use of all my fingers as well.

Occasionally I use an Ernie Ball Pinky slide. Then it's obviously on my Pinky.

It's not a competition.