Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Fender custom shop heavy relic 68 strat.

What's Hot
I played this yesterday and now I need to find two and a half grand....

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o605/banjo74/C829E1DD-5BAE-4DF3-A320-E6866EB38B4C_zpsvb4e1sim.jpg

I only went in to see how much of a difference there is with the roadworn and custom shop relics. The quick answer is a world of difference.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Ooh lummy, I've had raging CBS Strat GAS since seeing Reef a couple of weeks back and that isn't helping
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    That is so close to being awesome. Shame it has a headstock big enough to paddle up the Nile with.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    I like the large headstock Strats but I don't like the relic guitars.

Bullet truss rod anyone?

Alan

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    axisus said:
    Shame it has a headstock big enough to paddle up the Nile with.
    I used to think that until I finally realised it's part of that great tone they have, and why it's different from the pre-CBS tone. Then I liked it.

At least it's not a Starcaster :).

The relic job isn't too bad, although there's something that looks unconvincing about it for some reason.

The ding on the Sonic Blue one looks real though… ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• The fretboard was beautifully worn. It was so comfy to play, and I'm not a big fan of big boards.
  • Nice. I love a big headstock, too.
  • I'm in the don't like the big headstock camp ......this comes down to the main reason we buy a gutar and that is what it looks like any secondary reasons like tone playability are just that secondary!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    The odd thing for me is that once I tuned in to the sound of the big headstock (or at least what I think is the difference it makes) in the late-60s/70s music played on Strats, the small headstock actually started to look wrong to me! At least for that kind of music.

I genuinely think there is a difference in tone, the bigger headstock seems to produce bigger, deeper lows and a clearer midrange compared to the small one - that Hendrix/Blackmore (and others of that era) sound. The small headstock I associate more with Clapton, Knopfler etc which is a more midrange tone.

I may be imagining it entirely and it could be the result of the mental association, but I don't think so. I've owned several Strats of both headstock sizes as well as working on more than I can remember, and there does seem to be a pretty obvious difference, more even than most pickup changes and certainly far above fingerboard material.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM;105973" said:
    The odd thing for me is that once I tuned in to the sound of the big headstock (or at least what I think is the difference it makes) in the late-60s/70s music played on Strats, the small headstock actually started to look wrong to me! At least for that kind of music.

I genuinely think there is a difference in tone, the bigger headstock seems to produce bigger, deeper lows and a clearer midrange compared to the small one - that Hendrix/Blackmore (and others of that era) sound. The small headstock I associate more with Clapton, Knopfler etc which is a more midrange tone.

I may be imagining it entirely and it could be the result of the mental association, but I don't think so. I've owned several Strats of both headstock sizes as well as working on more than I can remember, and there does seem to be a pretty obvious difference, more even than most pickup changes and certainly far above fingerboard material.
    I can believe this - you used to be able to buy clip on weights to change the resonance of the headstock, and I can vouch that they did change the tone and sustain.

In general, I find bigger headstocks like flat tunings? Not sure why, and maybe it's psychoacoustic :)
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited December 2013
    It makes sense because there are 2 spots that the strings are anchored, the bridge and the headstock. People generally agree that the connection at the bridge, combined with the type/amount of wood will cause different tones from the guitar. why not the other connction at the headstock?

An interesting test would be to have a headstock completely separated the body, while still having the strings pulled to the correct tension and compare how that sounds to when it is attached normally. But then, this would take into account the resonance of the neck as well.. Food for thought.
  • Nice! I had a '55 like that -small head though!
    In general, I find bigger headstocks like flat tunings? Not sure why, and maybe it's psychoacoustic :)
    You mean like psychoacoustically associating the tone of a big-headstock Strat with Hendrix and Blackmore? ;)

I do really think it's more than that though, so it wouldn't surprise me if you're right as well.

Branshen said:
    An interesting test would be to have a headstock completely separated the body, while still having the strings pulled to the correct tension and compare how that sounds to when it is attached normally. But then, this would take into account the resonance of the neck as well.. Food for thought.
    That could easily be done… take any normal Floyd Rose-equipped guitar, tune it to pitch and make sure the nut is locked really well, play it and record it. Then cut the strings behind the nut, saw the headstock off and play and record it again.

:)

• DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Am I the only person that thinks that looks like quite a rough relic job? Doesn't look "natural" at all to me.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited December 2013
    oooh nice!

I think I'll get back on my black relic build this afternoon. 

Lazy boy. >:D<
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited December 2013
    Branshen said: An interesting test would be to have a headstock completely separated the body, while still having the strings pulled to the correct tension and compare how that sounds to when it is attached normally. But then, this would take into account the resonance of the neck as well.. Food for thought.
    An easier way would be to record a big headstock Strat, then get a saw and cut the headstock to the 'proper' shape and record it again. Bet there'd be no noticeable difference in the sound, in a band context. And the guitar would look a lot better too! Each to their own of course but there is a reason why Fender, since the 1980s, have made and sold tens of thousands of guitars with the 'normal' headstock shape and relatively few with the deformed 70s paddle top...   :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    edited December 2013
    It's a shame I didn't think to do that when I had a scrap 80s Squier neck with a big headstock (SQ series) that some twit had decided to scallop, and gone through to the truss rod… I think that was before I realised about the tone difference.

I used it to test stripped screw-hole repair methods to destruction, so it was useful at least. Slightly less usefully I also used it to test the final breaking strength of a Strat headstock. It's quite high!

•  You  could  buy an original, good enough for guitar gods.
     I like big headstock Les Pauls too.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    I prefer the big headstock too, it's my era I guess. I've never owned one though, all my Strats have been Pre-CBS.
    I don't mind the small headstock with a spaghetti logo, but the modern Fender logo on a small headstock ('82-up) looks like utter wank to me.
    Funny innit?
  • ClingyClingy Frets: 19
    Lovely.  I am spending the time between Xmas and New Year playing as many CS strats as I can.  Assuming the shoulder I dislocated last week heals OK!
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    edited December 2013
    Best thing about that photo is the 'Please Do Not Touch' labels. Why? In case you put a ding in it? Clowns.