Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone know about Tag watch repair?

What's Hot
Frau Wolfetone went swimming with the crown of her Tag watch unscrewed. This was two years ago so I would strongly assume that the entire interior of the watched one solid lump by now. The used value of the watch is around £250 plus it's of sentimental value as well.

Does anyone know if a replacement movement is available? It will have to have the hands and face replaced. I believe that there are good quality generic movements that are available for other watches.

Any ideas/opinions/comments?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Without having seen it, it's difficult to tell, but if it was seawater, just bin it.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Open it and have a look rather than assume... might be repairable, or it might cost an extra £50 to get the old movement chiseled out 

But Tag movements wont be cheap, so you'll probably want a generic one - pop into a proper watch selling jeweller (not a chain like H.Samuels or whatnot) and they should be able to tell you real prices...
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Myranda said:
    Open it and have a look rather than assume... might be repairable, or it might cost an extra £50 to get the old movement chiseled out 

But Tag movements wont be cheap, so you'll probably want a generic one - pop into a proper watch selling jeweller (not a chain like H.Samuels or whatnot) and they should be able to tell you real prices...
    Thanks Myranda

Without having seen it, it's difficult to tell, but if it was seawater, just bin it.

I think that after a couple of years, the type of water is incidental!
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    There's a guy very local to me that looks a lot like Hans Moleman from The Simpsons but he is a proper watch maker... tiny little shop with virtually nothing of interest in the window, and watches and clocks galore. Look for a place like that (don't need to be a half-mole-half-man though... that's just a bonus).

If you're anywhere near london or Birmingham there's the jewellery quarters where you should find several such shoppes

• Omega will charge £250 just to acknowledge my existence when it comes to my seamaster

Expect similar from Tag
    edited December 2013
    And over £400 from Rolex. :( Edit: £461.

• My last omega bill was ( for a new clasp, service and buff up) £456
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    If you've got one of these near you, you can get a free quote otherwise you can mail it in to them...

http://www.thewatchlab.co.uk/

I've used them for a battery replacement and reseal on one of my watches before.
    edited December 2013
    My last omega bill was ( for a new clasp, service and buff up) £456

I just paid £1,731 for a new clasp, face, hands, bezel and service. Damn near died when they told me, but I didn't realise how much they are new. I'm considering selling it now.

• At the price it cost it's probably an ETA movement (I'm assuming it's not mechanical). Changing the movement is a fairly simple job if you have the right tool to get the back off. Tag will obviously charge a fortune for the work though. You could try an independent place if you have one locally… or if you are adventurous get the tool yourself and have a go.

I used to work for in-time watch repairs many years ago :-)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    My last omega bill was ( for a new clasp, service and buff up) £456

I just paid £1,731 for a new clasp, face, hands, bezel and service. Damn near died when they told me, but I didn't realise how much they are new. I'm considering selling it now.

That, my man, is quality second hand guitar money. I'm now thankful I'm wearing a TW Steel. Do me nicely. Manages to tell the time accurately on a consistent basis.

Yer all lunatics.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I just replaced the battery on my watch. 29p. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The TAG service centre is in Manchester and they will assess it for you. I'm not sure if it's a free service if you don't have the work carried out though. Mine's been there a few times.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    My tag was acting up and i manged to get it repaired by an old school repairer for under £10. He showed me a new ETA movement that was to replace mine as a last resort for £150
    sw67 said:
    My tag was acting up and i manged to get it repaired by an old school repairer for under £10. He showed me a new ETA movement that was to replace mine as a last resort for £150
    A new ETA movement (according to Ebay) can be got at around £25
  • Have you opened it up?
    edited December 2013
    Have you opened it up?
    No, but I have a tool on order as we speak. 
    Have you opened it up?
    No, but I have a tool order as we speak.