Hints and tips wanted - Audition next week

What's Hot
dhaywood67dhaywood67 Frets: 110
So, I've just been offered an audition as bass player in a local band. Although I've got a cheap bass I've never really played it that much, in fact I don't even own an amp at the moment. I'm a very average rhythm guitarist but there doesn't seem to be much call for those at the best of times. Anyway, as someone with an acceptable sense of timing and rhythm, what tips can you give me to help with the audition? Apart from knowing the few tracks they've asked me to learn inside out.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited March 2016
    Be on time,  make sure your gear works,   be polite and friendly in way that looks keen but relaxed.  
    Might sound obvious but I'm sure I get more offers of dep work through being reliable than due to any kind of playing ability.   
    If you know their setlist then have a run through some other songs before the audition.  

Hope it goes well and don't forget you're auditioning them as well - make sure you can get on with them and are happy with the setlist and playing.
    Good luck!   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Don't overplay.
  • ChiliwailerChiliwailer Frets: 111
    Stand next to the drummer, lock in, feel the groove, tap your feet, move your body. If you've already had it, how did it go?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9576
    Try and borrow a really expensive-looking bass. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I'm assuming you are going to hire an amp for the audition, if so, make sure you are familiar with it before you go to the audition.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30863
    You could adopt the same method Guy Pratt adopted for his PF audition.

Plan to go to bed early, sober, but then, at 11pm, allow a mate to turn up at your house with a bottle of JD and a ball of coke and get utterly trashed, no sleep and turn up to the audition unable to stand.

It appeared to work.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom