Custom Made

Hi everyone, I work for a timber company and can get various hardwoods.

Looking for someone who may be able to build me a custom guitar if I supply the timber to do so.

Probably a bubinga body and neck / fretboard, walnut or ash top etc.....

Any ideas / prices? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Why not buy access to the online Bailey course and build your own? I have that but nowhere to build. Been educational though I guess.
  • I will have a look, cheers
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    @Ttony is the man for this course.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    The online Bailey course is excellent and takes you thought the whole process step-by-step.

To answer your question directly - the cost of a fully custom guitar from anyone who is even semi-professional, is going to be £2k-ish.  By "fully custom" I presume that you'll want your own shape, controls layout, etc, so that standard templates wouldn't be suitable.  If you want a standard LP, Tele or whatever, then you might reduce that price a bit.

Out of the £2k, the cost of the wood itself is probably c£150 (could be £50, but I'll assume you'd want some decent timbers!) - ie the basic material cost is only a small proportion of the total.

Sorry - possibly not the answer you wanted to hear.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited March 2016
    @mrsquirrel1

hey mr squirrel, maybe give this builder a try. he's local to me and have been to his workshop a few times for setups and mods. i think he sells his handbuilts for around 1k depending on options, but if you are a hardwood dealer that's a useful talent which might be of interest to him. you may be able to work out a deal where you trade nice wood in part ex for a build. he's a lovely chap and (as you can see from the photos) makes some wonderful things. maybe send him a message and see what he says.

https://www.facebook.com/Jez-Walker-Guitars-714801441962837/photos?ref=page_internal
    "be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • bailey guitar courses are great. just go on the course at their workshop, take your wood with you. you'll learn loads!

i built a guitar with them back in the late 90's with mark and carol when they were in their coventry workshop (based up in ayrshire now) lovely peeps, still get in touch now and then.

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk