Just recovered from reading about an expensive pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• Anyone who buys into this will continue to fuel the cloning industry. If this was made by boss, everyone would ridicule the tubescreamer clone. But because it's poorly finished and expensive...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    If this was made by boss, everyone would ridicule the tubescreamer clone.
    You mean the SD-1? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    A Ceriatone ODS Lunchbox Amp is "only"  $799
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2013
    ICBM said:
    If this was made by boss, everyone would ridicule the tubescreamer clone.
    You mean the SD-1? ;)
    Well the Dumbloid does use asymmetric clipping.  :-\"
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I was thinking about building myself some type of TS pedal next year.  This is tempting if anyone has the exact mods and values.  If I join FSB are they posted on there?
  • crunchman said:
    I was thinking about building myself some type of TS pedal next year.  This is tempting if anyone has the exact mods and values.  If I join FSB are they posted on there?

I haven't seen them on the internet but we do have a private messenger system here if you need any help. :-$
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 331
    Dave_Mc said:
    Do you have a link to that? :D
    http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23472

(Dunno if you have to register first or not.)

People should be free to charge what they can for their pedals - It's the 'emperor's new clothes' aspect to it all that I love....:)
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Why are TGP "the bad place?" Asking out of interest, I've never used it myself.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    DeeTee said:
    It's full of American boutique snobs with guns.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTee said:
    They stole my puppy dog.  :-<
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    @ICBM - Oh god. You mean all that "this was hand wired by the man who made Blind Willie Bluesdog's custom sideboard amp, so it must be good and all else sucks" bull?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    ICBM said:
    I completely agree with Dave. It's not the circuits that are the problem, it's all the bullshit that goes with it.

I could drastically change the sound of a Tube Screamer by replacing one component value, but that wouldn't make it an innovation or be worth many times the price. (I'm not claiming that would make it sound good either, necessarily - just that it would be very different. I agree that it's more complex to change the sound and make it good.)

But if it's an evolved TS, say so. Don't hide the circuit under layers of goop and marketing bollocks. The Tube Screamer circuit is well known as an adaptable, inherently good-sounding starting point for many mods. It's not an "amp in a box", it's not "transparent", and it is not worth several hundred dollars.
    Agreed. :)
    Misterg said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Do you have a link to that? :D
    http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=23472

(Dunno if you have to register first or not.)

People should be free to charge what they can for their pedals - It's the 'emperor's new clothes' aspect to it all that I love....:)
  • DeeTee;107860" said:
    I got banned because I asked what scales to use in Asian worship music - they said I was trying to incite racial hate, when I was actually trying to broaden my musical horizons and had heard some unusual music (turns out it used micro tones so one man was helpful).
  • randomhandclaps;107810" said:
    ICBM said:

ThePrettyDamned said:

If this was made by boss, everyone would ridicule the tubescreamer clone.You mean the SD-1? ;)Well the Dumbloid does use asymmetric clipping.  :-\"
    No wonder they won't say what it's based on!

Oh well. Not saying it sounds shite (though if it sounds like a dumble, it don't half sound dull...) but the gear page is known for hyping things for... Umm... Reasons other than quality. Such as resale value or even shops saying how good a product is... Without saying they work at an exclusive store.
  • I don't know if it's 100% confirmed to be a TS or Zen or whatever, but it doesn't matter what the pedal is, the TGP thread is always the same:

"Look at this amazing expensive shiny pedal"
    "I've just bought one it's the best thing in the whole wide world, above the Klon, Timmy, etc and it's definitely not a clone because it's gooped and therefore magic"
    "But goop usually means it's just a clone and the builder is a cagey fecker"
    "But fairy dust and mojo and BLOOM"
    "I've just bought one and degooped it. It's just a TS. What a surprise!"
    "No, just because it's a TS with 2 different components it's still 400% better because I paid $500 for it and that's definitely not a scam"

You have to laugh really. This is why I don't buy anything while it's still TGP's flavour of the week.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2013
    Haha note bloom. I've heard a free the tone pedal that supposedly had bloom and that turned out to be a... Er... Ts I think? Can't remember.

No idea what bloom is though.
  • No idea what bloom is though.
    What?!  Man, you need bloom.  Without bloom you're nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclaps;107964" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

No idea what bloom is though. What?!  Man, you need bloom.  Without bloom you're nothing.
    Without me, bloom is nothing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2347
    edited December 2013
    DeeTee;107860" said:
    I got banned because I asked what scales to use in Asian worship music - they said I was trying to incite racial hate, when I was actually trying to broaden my musical horizons and had heard some unusual music (turns out it used micro tones so one man was helpful).
    I got a message from a mod around the time of the jan ray thing and was told to stop criticising it or i'd get an infraction. Admittedly the guy I was arguing with got the same message, but still. They just don't seem to want anyone rocking the boat, which gets annoying when other people are wrong on the internet (!)
    I don't know if it's 100% confirmed to be a TS or Zen or whatever, but it doesn't matter what the pedal is, the TGP thread is always the same:

"Look at this amazing expensive shiny pedal"
    "I've just bought one it's the best thing in the whole wide world, above the Klon, Timmy, etc and it's definitely not a clone because it's gooped and therefore magic"
    "But goop usually means it's just a clone and the builder is a cagey fecker"
    "But fairy dust and mojo and BLOOM"
    "I've just bought one and degooped it. It's just a TS. What a surprise!"
    "No, just because it's a TS with 2 different components it's still 400% better because I paid $500 for it and that's definitely not a scam"

You have to laugh really. This is why I don't buy anything while it's still TGP's flavour of the week.
    Yeah that's about the height of it. :))

Actually you missed the bits where the fanboys keep moving the goalposts. That's a pretty big part of those threads. Once it is determined it's a clone they claim they never cared if it was a clone, or that it still sounds good, or whatever. Despite the fact that before it was reverse-engineered the same people were swearing blind it couldn't possibly be a clone "because it doesn't sound like a tubescreamer", "this is a gamechanger", "this isn't your daddy's overdrive pedal" etc.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited December 2013
    A ridiculous price for a tatty looking pedal for sure (@stickyfiddle yours looks loads better). What I'll probably do next is not buy one, however, I say leave them be if makes them happy (that's not supposed to sound as patronising as it it comes across!). I don't frequent, or contribute, to TGP but have googled and taken advice from there at times. 

TBH they probably take the piss out of this place, it's the only forum I know where you can ask for boutique amp advice and be recommended a Peavey Bandit
    :P
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom