Just recovered from reading about an expensive pedal

What's Hot

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Edit: apparently it's a circuit that is simpler with less parts than a tubescreamer. Wtf?! Is it a fet booster or something?! :p
    Ooooh, I change my guess as to what it is to an Electra Distortion! ;)

I have no issues with people who are clear about what it is that they're building FWIW. Skreddy, DAM and the like are very open that they make Muffs and old fuzzes. You're paying a large premium for someone to make you a very good version of an old circuit.  Everyone knows what they're buying into and that's just fine.

My issue are the ones in there to make a quick buck though pure deception and flowery marketing. Often taking an existing circuit, changing a few things so it sounds/works a little different, then claiming it's the fruit of many years R&D. It saddens me that so many people buy into it when the signs are really easy to see these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 600 dollars is beyond flowery marketing, it's madness. Like I said, if it was quarter of the price, it wouldn't be highly regarded. And for them to have cloned it and sell it for the 300 dollar 'bargain' is an absolute disgrace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Very occasionally, I think of signing up at TGP. And then I remember that that way insanity lies...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2350
    juansolo said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    @juansolo wins!
    Yep i saw his post. I was torn between agreeing with it and wanting not to get an infraction. I've never actually got one but I get the feeling i'm skating on thin ice. :))
    Bah, I think it takes more effort than you think. I've got two and they haven't banned me yet. Hopefully it won't take much longer. :)
    Yeah I stayed out as long as I could but I've posted now :))
    juansolo said:
    Edit: apparently it's a circuit that is simpler with less parts than a tubescreamer. Wtf?! Is it a fet booster or something?! :p
    Ooooh, I change my guess as to what it is to an Electra Distortion! ;)

I have no issues with people who are clear about what it is that they're building FWIW. Skreddy, DAM and the like are very open that they make Muffs and old fuzzes. You're paying a large premium for someone to make you a very good version of an old circuit.  Everyone knows what they're buying into and that's just fine.

My issue are the ones in there to make a quick buck though pure deception and flowery marketing. Often taking an existing circuit, changing a few things so it sounds/works a little different, then claiming it's the fruit of many years R&D. It saddens me that so many people buy into it when the signs are really easy to see these days.
    + infinity
    600 dollars is beyond flowery marketing, it's madness. Like I said, if it was quarter of the price, it wouldn't be highly regarded. And for them to have cloned it and sell it for the 300 dollar 'bargain' is an absolute disgrace.
    Agreed. I'm fairly lax on the whole cloning thing, but even to me that's a bit off. As I said over at TGP, it beggars belief how the same people who were decrying the "someone reverse it and tell us what it's a clone of!" brigade as evil are now cheerleading someone who's done exactly that- except who has done it for monetary gain and has kept the information as to what it is a secret.
  • There has been a reveal. Apparently, it's a...

Rat.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah I saw that. Or at least, I think that's what happened. I must be getting old, I struggled to keep up with this one, I had (still have) no idea what was going on for most of it. :))
    Honestly I don't care what it is. Couldn't before it all kicked off, less so now.
    There has been a reveal. Apparently, it's a...

Rat.
    Nah, it's not. Without seeing a good pic of the top and bottom of the board, we'll just be speculating.

Cloner bloke is now trying to justify the cost of the original pedal because it's built on perf... I tried biting my lip, but I couldn't.

I'm removing TGP from my bookmarks again for the sake of my sanity. I can't do this anymore.
  • juansolo;114075" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Rat.

Nah, it's not. Without seeing a good pic of the top and bottom of the board, we'll just be speculating.

Cloner bloke is now trying to justify the cost of the original pedal because it's built on perf... I tried biting my lip, but I couldn't.

I'm removing TGP from my bookmarks again for the sake of my sanity. I can't do this anymore.
    But you're the only person commenting who makes perfect sense!

Get banned, that way, you'll never have to worry about it ;)

Seriously, perf board? I used that for year 9 electronics because it's... Er... Cheap. If only they'd taught us to fabricate...
    Yeah, from the pic of the original pedal I saw it looked like perf. Good for prototyping. Though I'll admit, I hate using perf, prefer vero for that sort of thing.
  • IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
    edited December 2013
    600 dollars is beyond flowery marketing, it's madness. Like I said, if it was quarter of the price, it wouldn't be highly regarded. And for them to have cloned it and sell it for the 300 dollar 'bargain' is an absolute disgrace.
    Maybe I'm being very cynical here, but if you wanted to sell an overpriced mystery pedal for $300, what better way than get a mate to hype up a bullish*t $600 and then magically clone it for half the price.

I work in IT, so please forgive me for assuming the worst...

...BTW, I know nothing about the subject, but thanks for a really entertaining thread :)
  • Islandape;114521" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Maybe I'm being very cynical here, but if you wanted to sell an overpriced mystery pedal for $300, what better way than get a mate to hype up a bullish*t $600 and then magically clone it for half the price.

...BTW, I know nothing about the subject, but thanks for a really entertaining thread :)
    Ooo loves me a conspiracy theory.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    edited December 2013
    Islandape said:

Interesting theory... but in the world of TGP, even if it was proved that both versions were made by the same person using exactly the same circuit and parts, the "original" $600 one would still be more desirable, and would probably have magical tonal and touch-sensitive properties that the 'clone' doesn't.

You have to be there to understand ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    juansolo said:

Rat.

Yeah it looks like it's not a rat.

I mean I was all in favour of someone degooping and reversing it to let us know what it was- but secretly degooping it so you can sell a clone yourself, as I've said before, doesn't sit right with me. That makes you little better (actually maybe arguably slightly worse) than the original maker.

^ :))
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited December 2013
    I remember the days when owning a Dymo Label Maker was cool and even cooler was having labels in other colours than black...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If anyone has a change of heart...contact me. I ship worldwide http://www.amplifiednation.com/Effects.htm Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26941
    amplifiednation;136983" said:
    If anyone has a change of heart...contact me. I ship worldwide

http://www.amplifiednation.com/Effects.htm
    Only if you tell us what the circuit is :p
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • It's a Dumbloid!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Such a shame the independent industry has fallen to this. A near immediate clone of a hyped overdrive solely for the purpose of undercutting the original builder.

And I somehow doubt the original builder put a great deal of time into developing a new, unique circuit though I stand to be corrected.

Anyway, welcome to the fretboard! May the debate rage on :p
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

I ended up joining TGP, because for a month after I got this laptop I could not post here.   All I got were error messages saying "body is required".   One day, poof! I could post again...

My experience has been different than the majority of yours.  Mainly because I never bother with threads like we're talking about here- they just don't interest me.  I just needed a place to talk "shop" ( or read about it), and Fender's boards just aren't that busy.

$600 for a dirt pedal???  Nope.  Not me.  I'm also not buying into the Dumble hype either.  I'm perfectly happy with my OCD, Blues Driver, and MXR distortions.  I spent maybe half that for ALL of my dirt boxes. Yay me!

FWIW, this place has it's own "cults of personality" and annoying quirks.  Not to mention the bashing and piss taking of anyone who doesn't think like us...  We have our own epic ugly shite-fests.  It is a guilty pleasure to read/ participate in the occasional flame war, though isn't it?  At least we can throw ours into the black hole of the Speakers Corner, and avoid it if we want.  I was recently reminded of why I usually avoid that place.  That place can get every bit as nasty and insulting as any other board out there.

I just thought I'd point out that much of the behavior you guys are ranting and raving at TGP about is also present here.  It's not just an American "thing".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom