Vox AC30 Gumtree How not to sell an amp!

What's Hot
PhilTQPhilTQ Frets: 36
Spotted an AC30 on Gumtree that was described as being 125W output. The guy says it is 30 years old which puts it around the mid 80s.
I've seen this claim before because a lot of the AC30s show power consumption as 125W. There is a photo with the ad which shows a 3/4 front view, but all AC30s look the same from this angle so nothing to show its the rare bird he says it is.

The ad says £250 but he then goes on to say that is the deposit he wants, but nothing about how he values it.

Anyway, I'm not interested in it, but think I will just drop the guy a line and say about the 125W bit as that might actually put people off. AC30 is 30 watt. AC125?

The guy is in Derby and it turns out his name is Steve. This was our correspondence:

Me:  125 watts will be power consumption not output.
There were several differences in the 70s due to Vox being taken over. Some are desirable, others not.
Would help to see pics of the back and particularly serial number plate to determine which one it is.
Hope this helps

<The AC30 went through a lot of changes in the 70s and 80s as Vox was bought and sold by various companies. Trying to identify which version an amp is or date one is not always easy and you need to look at the serial plate and controls for the clues.>

Steve:  Sorry you are wrong !!! This is 125  watt RMS amplifier OUTPUT
Limited number made and collectable. In the USA these go for £ 1800-£ 2600 and I dont mean $$
Only serious buyers welcome. Same size as an AC30 but can reproduce Classic VOX Tones, as well as Fender Twin, and Marshall tones. Needless to say it's all valve.

No more details given. In excellent condition, one pea side tear on the Tolex on the back vertical edge but that can be invisibly repaired, Virtually no scuffs as such, and perfect for studi session musician, as well as gigging band who wants to keep size to sensible proportions, and everyone who sees it and hears it is gobsmacked by its power and sibling AC30 appearance.
Cheers
Steve

Me:  Hi Steve,
They did a 100w model but the controls were towards the front, not like yours which seems to be the 80s AC30 from the big vents.
North Coast Music have a great site with the differences shown.
You really need to post a photo of the back otherwise it looks like any other AC30 and everyone will assume what I already said.
If it is what you say and worth that, the US may be your best bet so ebay is probably be the way to go but you must be ready to ship overseas.
Good luck with it
Phil

<Yep, trying to help. Giving him a site he can check it out on and suggesting ebay to sell to a US buyer who is unlikely to find Gumtree. And wishing him luck with it!>

Steve: Errr.....   I know my VOX gear, and have had more Vox amps than lost have had hot dinners. I had never heard of this amp let alone seen on until 15 tears or so ago when I acquired it. So its probably the King of all the amps they made and that I have owned, as some were junk like the trannie ones etc  eg Supreme, Deiant etc
It will go to the right person and am in no hurry to sell, but it has to go, but wont give it away to some kid , as its a serious bit of kit

<Fair enough, so if its that rare photograph something about it that shows its different. Dont post a photo that makes it look the same as every other AC30.>

<I even took a look at the site to try and find a 125W AC30 looking combo and wrote:>

Me: 

Heres the link to the AC120, so yours must be an AC125!
http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ac120-2.html

<Dont think he liked that much for some reason:
>

Steve:  
Sorry, but it is nothing to do with that link or that model and from memory they never sold ( that model ) as am a 60's guitarist. It's not rocket science to tell from my photos that they are different animal> You are clutching at straws etc.
It's what it is a big daddy AC30 but same size and better my photos clearly show that as exactly as I have described. i have had to amend the AD due to your confusion.
It's pointless having this discussion as have not time to waste. If you have the money then thats fine otherwise, thanks for looking, sorry to be blunt.

It seems to be turning pear-shaped. He says they never sold an amp that is photographed on a well-known website, he's had to amend the ad because of me (all my fault) and we have a bit of attitude coming in. I was only trying to help!

Me: 
Please dont get arsey with me, I was trying to help you sell your amp. And I'm not a kid either, I'm 55
Every AC30 looks the same in a poor quality photo the size of a postage stamp and your claim that it is 125watt output is a common one because people look on the serial plate and a lot of them say Mains Output 125 watt. So I was suggesting a photo of the back to prove what you are saying (or otherwise)

An AC30 is 30 watt, AC50 50 watt, AC100 100 watt etc etc So your description of ac30 tends to suggest 30 watt. If it is 125w, show the photo.

It may be rarer than rocking horse shit and worth £3000, but if that is the case you need to sell it properly and an attitude to people that enquire or try to help will do you no favours whatsoever.

I'm not interested in the amp, I was trying to help and get through to you that the collectors that are likely to want to buy this extremely rare piece will want to see every detail before they hand over their £ or $. They will want to see tranformer date codes, speaker codes, pot dates and cap markings because without everything being dead right its value aint there. Even a reconed speaker will drop the value.

Good luck with it, and try to lighten up a bit. If I had been interested you would have lost a sale because of your attitude.

I still wished him luck with it!!!

And now ladies and gentlemen, the big bang: (in the next post because this is too long otherwise)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilTQPhilTQ Frets: 36
    Steve:  Did I seek your help ??????????????????????????????????

NOT getting Arsey with anyone except those that " thought " they knew everything that could be known about VOX gear and you get ratty with me ?   as a stranger simply because you dont understand an AD or the product being offered. 

DON'T YOU TAKE YOUR ADOLESCENT frustrations out on me    i am senior to you as a 60's guitarist and know my stuff, and clearly you were a late comer to the music scene and know little. despite your age

I was NOT interested in your curiosity and mythed and perplexed comments that were irrelevent to me and my amp. You clearly are out of your depth and now have shown your true colours of being offensive simply because someone had to correct you a few times.I am very fussy whom I deal with or sell to, and you were just a timewaster and curiosity driven and nothing more. 

Now bugger off....you moron
    Well slap my thigh! I thought it was the young generation that is rude!  There was only one way to reply to that:
    Me:  
    Nurse he's out of bed again!

So, if you want to put a £250 deposit on an extremely rare Vox that is worth almost £3k in the US, Steve in Derby is the guy to contact. He has what he says is an AC30 but I think it may well be a combo version of a V125. The right photo would have shown that of course.

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Maybe I should get in touch with him and offer a swap for a VOX Pathfinder - which is far superior to the 125 or the 30.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm going to write and ask for a picture of the back and a picture of the innards and valve configuration. You can't get 120 watts from 4xel84s I don't think. I know the classic 50 squeezes 50 watts from them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, I've asked for a pic of the back, circuit.

Also asked if it has been serviced and recapped at all.

Lastly, I've asked what valve configuration it has.

Let's see how this rolls.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    He sounds like sausage fingers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    It may well be a V125, in which case you don't want it. Whatever they're "worth" above the value of the valves and speakers is too much.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It may well be a V125, in which case you don't want it. Whatever they're "worth" above the value of the valves and speakers is too much.
    Always thought these were heads only?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    edited December 2013
    He should look at his speakers. I would hazard a guess they aren't up to matching 125 watts output.

There was a guy recently on gumtree advertising a Pathfinder as a 54 watt amp 
    >:D<
    Babones said:
    He should look at his speakers. I would hazard a guess they aren't up to matching 125 watts output.
    That's true in the V125 combo!

• Thanks @ICBM! Never seen those before. 

Cool!
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Looks like a V125 to me. 4 x EL34 in a Vox....Not good!

Head version sold here for £360. Good clear pic of back too:

http://guitar-auctions.co.uk/portfolio-post/lot-178-vintage-vox-v125-lead-guitar-amplifier-head-unit/

edited December 2013
    I've found the Gumtree listing now and it's clearly a V125.

Large top vents, no middle handle, widely spaced power and standby switches with an LED between them, and (just about visible) only two input jacks.

• BodBod Frets: 1296
    edited December 2013
    I started a thread here recently about another ad this guy posted on Gumtree.  His ads are blunt, never list the actual price he wants, and are generally dubious.  The way they're written they scream of scams to me.  I'm amazed he gets any responses at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:

I think that the bass (head) version is not a bad amp, although the build quality isn't stellar.

The guitar version is not great though.....
  • Maybe we need a thread title change:

Vox AC30 Gumtree How not to SPELL an amp (that's actually called a V125)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • You never really know what you are dealing with when responding to an ad etc. He could be a little disturbed or something. A bit like road rage I find, you never know what kind of day they might have had so generally I don't retaliate even though I want to.

I'd just leave him be but I do feel sorry for the guy who ends up buying this amp thinking it being something else. Mind you though if one doesn't do their research they deserve to get done :(

Sorry just my opinions
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • This is the same dude that posts dodgy guitars that are '£150 deposit seals the deal - although it's not the price of the guitar'.

I swear he was trying to sell something that clearly wasn't what he said it was. (Gibson/Epiphone) Something like that - I'll try find his ad I'm on about.

Also, what a dick! There should be more people like you in the world @PhilTQ !

All the best,
  • Are you sure his name is really Steve and not Tony McKenzie?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • This guy is awesome! I asked him how he managed to get a genuine Fender neck thats unbranded and when they don't sell necks separately. He responded with a similar message to the ones above saying he gets lots of messages from ill informed idiots who know nothing. I've sent him one back saying I work for Fender!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom