Vox AC30 Gumtree How not to sell an amp!

What's Hot

Comments

• Lol i emailed him, asked him if he's consider a trade for a V125
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gumtree is a real minefield. I much prefer eBay (even though they are the same company). I once bought a Marshall mini stack for £60. It was in great nick and a steal at that price, so much that I figured it was stolen. I drove down and collected it and the guy was a nutter. He was sitting in the dark in his living room (big open window with no curtains), when I rang the bell he smiled and waved (I swear I shit myself right then). Once in the house he had the amp all setup with a guitar for me to try and also the receipt and his new amp (ac15 I think). Right next to his new amp was a telecaster with a screwdriver sticking out of the pickup (he likes sonic youth). He would let me leave though. In the end he was obviously a bit odd and needed the company (selling an amp at a £200 loss seems an odd way to meet people). But it was unnerving. I haven't bought anything from gumtree since.

I still have the mini stack which I must sell on as I never use it.

Gumtree is just too much hassle. A guy on my road was selling a Gibson acoustic which was snapped in half and wanted £3k as it was 20 years old. I emailed him to say there is no way its worth that much in that condition. He told me to fuck off.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol so i offered him.a trade for a V125, he said this:
    "Sorry that is an insult for a vintage Amp, especially with heritage and all
    Valve/ 125 Watt Valve output will be 10 x louder than same 125 watt trannie style. Law of physics
    Besides I have two of those and already selling one, and will breal the other as want the amp chassis only ideally in a Top , cabinet."

So i asked for proof of what it was, stated that i highly suspected it was a V125, and that the amp he describes doesn't exist. He said this:

"Sorry, as an avid VOX user since the 60's I know what a VOX V125 is and looks like and its not that amp. Somebody else said exactly same earlier today and all the info supplied from VOX did not place this as the same amp. Sorry
    I have no idea what you are offering as that is the crux of any discussion, and not debating it's origin and history, no offence intended I dont have time for all these emails beyond one reply.as have been inundated with interest and at least everyone gets a courteous reply. Am very busy, and cash is not my objective
    cheers"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He's deluded and a tad arrogant. Bad combination ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got the a great deal for a top-end amp on Gumtree very recently.. completely painless process too. There are plenty of nutters/idiots regardless of where you buy from.
  • " £250 deposit required to secure so its NOT £ 250 !!!!! "

WTF is this deposit business all about? Either you buy it at the price he wants or you don't.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    edited December 2013
    Presumably he wants you to send him £250 as a deposit, then go over and negotiate about the "rest" of the price. Yeah right. I'd guess he will get arsey about returning the £250 if you can't reach a deal on his terms as well.

I wouldn't even pay as much as £250 for a V125.

An actual Solid State AC30 - they did make them, up to and around the same time - is a much better amp, in fact. The power consumption is listed as 100W though, not 125W - there's one coming into the shop for sale soon, by an odd coincidence!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    *cough*

Hi there,

I was wondering if you would trade this for a Vox Pathfinder? It is one of the ultra rare ones with the brown faceplate, and the built in tremolo and reverb. I have modified it so that you can plug it into an 8x15, it sounds great!! The first time I plugged into it, it was like the intro to Back To The Future LOLOLOL! Seriously though, I flew across the room and broke my leg. That's why it has to go.

I have an American Pitbull I could offer as part of the trade. She belonged to my great uncle Pappy who worked at the steel mill in the 70's, and she would run around the factory floor sniffing out for old WWII bombs hidden underneath the floorboards. She found at least two, and something was leaking from them, because she's been a bit loopy since. She's quite old, but still got a lot of kick left in her - that'll be on account of the extra leg she grew shortly after finding the second bomb.

Anyway, if you're not interested in either of those, I do have a sister. We are quite close and she thinks the world of me, I'm sure I could get her to do anything I wanted.

If you could get back to me as soon as possible, that would be great. Because I have another guy penciled in for the sis, but he's only got one of those Mesa Boogie monstrosities, and I'd much rather have your one of a kind AC30 that looks like an AC125, they're totally AMAZEBALLS!

Cheers,
    Frederico
    20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ Brilliant!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Ah, a wee post from Drew never fails to get a grin. 

Top work fella. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    My name is Frederico from now on.
  • LOL at Frederico.

The seller reminds me of the infamous Cyclotouriste:

http://www.megalomaniac.com/~andrew/funny/lonely_planet_flame.pdf
  • Drew wins all the Internet

That's hilarious how he says it's not a v125 because he owns 2. Well, he owns at least 1...

What an absolute douche.
  • Oh almost forgot, my reply asking for a gut shot of the innards, valve configuration and a photo of the back.

"Sorry i have no more photos, its in storage until i get interest in it to get it out for someone to try.. Am getting far too many timewaster's many bitchy and trying to educate me, simply because they have never heard of such a rare amp and isbelieve what is being offered. I have been using VOX amps since the early 60's and have had dozens over the years of most of the models they issued including bass ones.

I am not a person who has circuit diagrams on anything I own, so cant help you there. It's NOT a beefed up modded AC30. It's a VOX specific product, and I have never opened it up for any kind of inspection as that does not interest me, and have no reason to believe it has ever been modded or capped, which reminds me I shpuld power it up at regular intervals to sto things draining. I have no idea what valves it uses, and to me that will be pretty generally as per any other VOX amp.

If someone wants to make me an offer to trade , swap, buy and wants to come and try it will get it out and up and running. It's always been stored in a dry environment ie not damp or exposed eg like in a garage etc . I don't gig, and when I first bought it, was after an AC30, and when I got to the guitarist's house was greeted by this " power " version and of course didn't hesitate as I had never seen one before.

Perhaps you may be better buying from a shop if you are after specific valve combination designs.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Steve"
  • Haha somebody saw him coming when he bought that didn't they.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Next he'll be saying that he accidentally posted a pic of one of his V125s because he's got so many amps that look alike and was confused, or he just used a pic of one because the super rare custom 125W AC30 is in storage, or some other such bullshit.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Pretty much lost it at...

Anyway, if you're not interested in either of those, I do have a sister. We are quite close and she thinks the world of me, I'm sure I could get her to do anything I wanted.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    I know this clown, he had this same ad up about 2 years ago. I questioned him on the 125w thing and he gave it all the "Ive been playing since the 60s blah blah blah"

Absolute dick,I bet he hasnt sold a thing
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    I just messaged him claiming to have worked in Vox R&D between 1965-1984 and that I would love to hear more about this mystery amp,
    Lets see!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"