Been offered a swap for a TSL100 for my 6505+ 112

What's Hot
KensquireKensquire Frets: 0
edited December 2013 in Amps

After gigging my Peavey and getting a reasonable sound (but still not 100% to my satisfaction), I've been offered a swap for a Marshall TSL100 head.

Is this is a good swap? I need a reliable good sounding versatile amp, and was thinking Jet City JCA100HDM because of the good reviews it seems to get.

What will bring the least pain but deliver the most versatility?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    No. The TSL is a pretty crap amp. Fuzzy and horrible, with no real character. Your Peavey is the superior amp.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Reliable is not an adjective I would use to describe the TSL....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What they said. Definitely not a good swap on paper, unless you already know you like the TSL
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    If you want reliable and good-sounding you should stay well away from the TSL100.

The Peavey is a better amp, as Drew said. The Jet City is also better, although less flexible on the fly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If you wanted flexibility, I'd go for something like the Blackstar HT Venue or HT Metal, or even one of their Series One amps. I saw on eBay one of the 1046L6's that sold for £461 - that is a ridiculous price!!

I've also seen JVM410H's sell for £600, which is a good price too. So you could sell your Peavey and look for one of those, which will be way better than the TSL.

Failing all that, if flexibility is the aim, then a modeller is the best option.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is pretty much a resounding no then! :)

I'll kindly decline the offer then. Thanks all!

• Stick with the combo you have! Replace the speaker though, the stock one holds it back a bit.
  • As everyone has said, no. I had a TSL 60. It was awful. Only had it 3 months and got rid of it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    benvall said:
    As everyone has said, no. I had a TSL 60. It was awful. Only had it 3 months and got rid of it.
    By comparison with the TSL60, the TSL100 is actually a good amp! (Sort of.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson