Oh dear Taylor. Lowdens got you beat

What's Hot

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    I've played a few Lowdens & Mcilroys and I've liked them all, light and responsive and ideal for finger style stuff. I'd say they have a European sound to them. I'm surprised that more steel string guitars are not built with cedar tops as it gives a lovely warm sound.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BowynMadleyBowynMadley Frets: 152
    edited April 2016
    Just to throw another log on the fire. One of the toffee nosed punters that were hanging around whilst i was trying these guitars said "lowdens are NOT made to be played with a plectrum"

So after I'd played them all with and without a plectrum I decided they suited both styles so up yours cock face!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    BowynMadley;1030074" said:
    Just to throw another log on the fire. One of the toffee nosed punters that were hanging around whilst i was trying these guitars said "lowdens are NOT made to be played with a plectrum"
    I didn't realise for years that I shouldn't finger pick my Martin D28....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    BowynMadley;1030074" said:

So after I'd played them all with and without a plectrum I decided they suited both styles so up yours cock face!
    I must be doing it wrong then! I use a pick all the time with mine:)
  • I don't know how to, or if you can tag people into posts but MikeDearing was thinking of selling an older Lowden. I'd reccomend a 90's one if you can get it :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30874
     I'm sorry but I'm a huge Lowden fan and I'd suggest this is like comparing a BMW with a Bugatti Veyron.

I'd say that they're not even competing in the same niche of the market.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage;1030284" said:
     I'm sorry but I'm a huge Lowden fan and I'd suggest this is like comparing a BMW with a Bugatti Veyron.

Hmm I'm unsure. The Taylor I played was an 810ce priced at £2850

Lowden O25 was priced at £2650. That's pretty close and I don't mean to over egg this but I wouldn't cross the street to play the Taylor again
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited April 2016
    It's just personal preference. There is no "better" at this price level.

I'm not a big fan of Taylors but I prefer probably every Taylor I've ever played to every Lowden I've played. (Not counting the Baby models.) It doesn't mean they're better, just that they suit me more.

I never use a pick with any guitar so if that was important I would supposedly prefer Lowdens, but actually I prefer Martins and Gibsons. And Guilds for that matter, which are archetypal pick guitars.

I detest the Taylor Expression system too, although I haven't played the new version yet. Not only because I don't like the sound but also because they fail far too often and the parts are unique to Taylor. Other people love it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1707
    For my taste the taylor 816 GS i had up to recently was better than any lowden I've played, for some reason they just down float my boat n it's the same with martin apart from the EC models which I like. But I'm a big fan of collings tho. As it's already been said it's all down to personal taste. Once you get to a certain level there's no such thing as good or bad, just different taste. I do think that taylor get unfairly bashed a bit tho. The 816 I have was an outstanding guitar. I have got rid of it now but only because of a personal reason plus I have a collings om2h which is smaller n easy to play.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Gassage said:

I'd agree with this - Lowden's are made in small numbers and start at a higher price point. Taylor are factory produced and cover a massive spectrum in terms of price range. Therefore, I suggest you would be subconsciously expecting more from a Lowden given its starting price point and reputation. 
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Feel Lowdens are overpriced, good guitars but def prefer my MciLroy to any Lowden I have played. Had a Taylor dreadnought - it was the first quality acoustic I owned - and frankly wish I had taken a bit more time and tried other makes before jumping in and buying it. After the initial honeymoon period, realised I just didnt like it and have never liked any Taylor I have played, find their sound a bit one dimensional and no subtlety in their tone.  The Taylor was replaced by a Santa Cruz dreadnought which was a great guitar provided that you hammered it, no use for gently playing. Build quality was superb and it was a great guitar, just not the right one for me.  Around the same time I discovered Larrivee and now own three.  A TSB SD50 12 fret dreadnought replaced the Santa Cruz and it is simply awesome.  I tried a Collings 12 fret not long after getting it and would not swop my Larry for it.  My two others are a C09 -Larrivees own jumbo model, spruce rosewood with a Florentine cutaway and an OM09 - spruce/rosewood orchestra model.  The three Larry are fine instruments - not fat behind the MciLroy for quality- and IMHO superior in every way to Taylors and I also prefer them to Martins.  
    My Nigel Forster acoustic is different class though and if you are willing to spend Lowden type money, than a custom build might be the way to go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    @auldreekie - interesting write up mate, thanks for that...

I must admit I fancy a change acoustically. Since my pedal gas has been reduced, I know find it's acoustics and amps that draw my attention !

Ive loved my Taylor. It's a very rare Tobacco Sunburst 614ce Ltd (Fall) Edition 30th Anniversary. I custom ordered it from new.

But Ive always fancied a Lowden (I guess inspired by Richard Thompson). The sustain and chime on some of them sounds incredible...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I must admit I fancy a change acoustically. Since my pedal gas has been reduced, I know find it's acoustics and amps that draw my attention !

Ive loved my Taylor. It's a very rare Tobacco Sunburst 614ce Ltd (Fall) Edition 30th Anniversary. I custom ordered it from new.

But Ive always fancied a Lowden (I guess inspired by Richard Thompson). The sustain and chime on some of them sounds incredible…

Make sure you play a Lowden properly before before you sell your Taylor, if that's necessary.

I loved hearing John Renbourn play a Lowden too, he was one of my favourite players. I had nearly the same model (O10, his was an O12), but it really didn't work for me. At all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    there are numerous other luthiers making sensatioal Acoustics you know.........and due to 2nd hand prices being low for them, they can be a bargain...obviously i use that term loosely...

heres a few suggestions perhaps...

Vintage gibson  check out Fairbanks....tone for days.......one of these went for £1200 a while back on Ebay why i didnt buy it i will never know

Greven.......

Franklin Guitars

Tippin Guitars

too name a few
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited April 2016
    Lowden's are A frame braced, making them sound different to their American counterparts. It's difficult to make a meaningful comparison, and as always, it boils down to which you personally prefer. Fwiw I think every Lowden I've owned or played has been a masterpiece. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    My GAS is strong for a Lowden... Methinks my beloved Taylor may be sold or p/x
  • westwest Frets: 996
    I have an incredible F35 c koa back and sides spruce top , i was playing with a mate with his taylor 614ce maple back and sides last night , the taylor pales acoustically and electrically , its slightly easier to play ergonomically ....
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited April 2016
    My GAS is strong for a Lowden... Methinks my beloved Taylor may be sold or p/x
    Just to help you along the way...my old 035 Bastogne Walnut and Cedar...

Slightly more subtly voiced than my personal favourite the 025, which I sold to buy the 035. Once played, for me at least, nothing else will really do..believe me I've wasted a lot of time trying...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    edited April 2016
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom