Fender Squire VM Jag basses

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

The look the shizzlwe but how do they sound & play? Anyone got any tales to tell before I treat myself?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My mate wanted a bass to learn on - I originally recommended a Sqiuer (thinking of a P) but then one of these VMs came up secondhand. Good fun. I made him buy it and I like it. 
  • I've tried out a VM P and it was a lovely bass, definite improvement over my squier standard P bass special. Not the bass in question but speaks volumes for the quality of the line!
  • sweeeeeeet

gigable bass then? I know its not gonna be as good as the Fender versions but golly I do love the look of the squier

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Bloke from Sigur Ros uses a Fender one live and it sounds brilliant. Not right for Flea/Pastorius-isms, obviously, but for rock/pop/indie stuff should be great.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Been offered one for £250, they're £291 in GAK. Seems like £200 would be a more realisitic price to me.

time to stroke my chin

• I think my mate paid £110 and it was in good nick for a second hand one. The nasty plastic nut broke within seconds of getting it home (perhaps that's why the guy sold it) but I knocked up another - bass nuts seem easy - and I think I'd gig it. I only really spent time with it through a Peavey micro bass amp but it seemed fantastic value and I think it would be fine through a bigger amp.
  • sweeeeeeet

gigable bass then? I know its not gonna be as good as the Fender versions but golly I do love the look of the squier

Oh definitely. I gig with my squier standard just fine, and I'd say the vm is a noticeable step up. I will upgrade at some point and a squier vm is certainly on the list.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Not right for Flea/Pastorius-isms, obviously, but for rock/pop/indie stuff should be great.
    I dunno- I know a kid who plays in a school band doing RHCP stuff and he uses one of the other Squier Jag basses (the active one) and it sounds great.
  • dogload said:
    Not right for Flea/Pastorius-isms, obviously, but for rock/pop/indie stuff should be great.
    I dunno- I know a kid who plays in a school band doing RHCP stuff and he uses one of the other Squier Jag basses (the active one) and it sounds great.
    Lol. he's obviously better than I am then! ;)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    dogload said:
    Lol. he's obviously better than I am then! ;)
    I suspect just OCD!  :)
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited December 2013

Ah well its all over, the seller won't budge from his price of £250. I can get one new for £290. So its time to save up more pennies to get the:

Modern Player £350image

• or proper jag for £a bit more

• Don't normally like blocks on Fenders but that's a fine looking instrument!
  • Actually belay that order! I should stick with the bass I've got and invest my hard earned into making a pedal board. This calls for a new thread.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom