1x12 cab options to go with a EVH 5150 iii 50W

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23937
I'm probably going to get an EVH 5150 50W head as I find myself playing guitar in a band again.

Obviously the EVH 1x12 is the sensible choice, but I'm also wondering whether a cab by Zilla or someone else would actually be a better bet?

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm rather partial to the Montage 1x12" cabs. I think they're about £99 unloaded, and solid as you like.
    <space for hire>
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    Depends on the sort of driver you are after?

If you want a classic V30 then the 5150 might be a bit strong for a single 60watt rated driver....ICBM will know!

Dave.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23937
    The EVH 1x12 is only a 30W cone!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    I wouldn't put a 100W amp through a single V30 if you're going to play it loud. Or a 50W amp through a 30W speaker either! Just asking for trouble - even if you think you'll be careful at gig volume, you can't really be because audibly there's almost no difference between 25W and 50W, but it makes a very big difference to a 30W speaker.

For what it's worth just recently I had a highly-regarded American 38W amp in for repair, that comes stock with a G12H-30… guess what the problem was. Not very impressed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've been playing the EVH 50watt through a single T75 on and off for a while. Works okay.
    ICBM said:
    I wouldn't put a 100W amp through a single V30 if you're going to play it loud. Or a 50W amp through a 30W speaker either! Just asking for trouble - even if you think you'll be careful at gig volume, you can't really be because audibly there's almost no difference between 25W and 50W, but it makes a very big difference to a 30W speaker.

For what it's worth just recently I had a highly-regarded American 38W amp in for repair, that comes stock with a G12H-30… guess what the problem was. Not very impressed.

So is there a single cone that would be happy with a 50W amp but still have a similar tone? I could look at a Zilla cab and a good cone to put in it.

The stock EVH 1x12 has a Celestion G12H Anniversary speaker
    So is there a single cone that would be happy with a 50W amp but still have a similar tone? I could look at a Zilla cab and a good cone to put in it.

The stock EVH 1x12 has a Celestion G12H Anniversary speaker
    Classic Lead 80.

It's not identical, but it's in the same ballpark and will take a fully cranked 50W amp with no trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited December 2013
    Possibly a Celestion Creamback?  Will take 65 watts and is supposed to sound like a Greenback (which is what is in the EVH 4x12, H30s are in the 1 and 2x12s).  Might be close enough for you to be happy and should sound great with the amp given the 'fullsize' cab is likely what they were voiced with - the 100 watt at least.  The 50 really isn't too far off the 100 save for how mean the low mids are IMO.  I've not tried a Creamback personally, but they remind me of greenbacks in the clips I've heard.

The only other suggestion I have is to resist the temptation to shrink the cab too much if you go custom - IME the smaller the cab the smaller and more middy (as opposed to open) it will sound.  I'm a huge fan of V30 cabs but when I had the pretty small Orange PPC112 I just was not happy with the tone of it - just too small overall, though it was nice for tracking leads.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    There's also that new creamback high wattage g12h30-type that no-one has tried yet :))

Several other companies do higher wattage g12h30-type speakers. How close they are, I dunno- and a lot are just bang-on 50 watts, so depending on how conservatively rated they are (or not), you might still be in trouble. I thought my Tayden Great Brit was much closer to my 55hz heritage g12h30s than the classic lead, for example. It is just bang-on 50 watts, though, and it can be a little fizzy on its own (I like fizz, but I suspect I might be the exception :)) ).

But the CL80 would work at a pinch, as ICBM says. Just depends on how close you want to get.
    A Zilla Mini-Modern or a Compact seem to be an option then, even with the cost of a CL80 it might come in a couple of quid cheaper than the official cab.

And I could have a purple one!
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    thomann do a carvin 1x12 with a vintage 30 in it. It was 120 Euros which seemed pretty cheap to me.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Dave_Mc said:
    There's also that new creamback high wattage g12h30-type that no-one has tried yet :))
    I didn't know about that :). Looks interesting, and probably closer to the H30 than the CL80 is.

I agree about not putting a 50W speaker of unknown "conservativeness" (is that a word?) of rating with a 50W amp. There are plenty - most, in fact - of manufacturers who use something much more like the true electrical power rating of the speaker, rather than the 'amp rating', and an overdriven amp will put out much more electrical power than its rating.

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited December 2013

thomann do a carvin 1x12 with a vintage 30 in it. It was 120 Euros which seemed pretty cheap to me.

Edit - oh they don't stock carvin any more, sorry.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • The worst example of this that I've seen is the Randall NB King 112 combo - they put a 25W Greenback in an amp which puts out 30W clean and over 40W at full chat. Madness.

Seriously, though, check out the Montage cabs and grab any speaker you like from the classifieds...
    <space for hire>
    edited December 2013
    Dave_Mc said:

This one?

EDIT - I presume it doesn't matter that it's 15 ohms and not 16?
  • You'll be fine with a single vintage 30 with the evh 50watt. Firstly, because vintage 30's are rated at 60 Watts, and also because most of the tone in the evh comes from the preamp. If you have to run the 50watt at high volume I would consider the 100 watt as I found the tone didn't stay tight past 7 on the 50 watt.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2326
    ICBM said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    I didn't know about that :). Looks interesting, and probably closer to the H30 than the CL80 is.

I agree about not putting a 50W speaker of unknown "conservativeness" (is that a word?) of rating with a 50W amp. There are plenty - most, in fact - of manufacturers who use something much more like the true electrical power rating of the speaker, rather than the 'amp rating', and an overdriven amp will put out much more electrical power than its rating.
    Yeah. :)) I have a vague feeling that someone who knew about these things (jpf? martin? not sure, and I don't want to put words in their mouths) said that taydens were similarly rated to celestions, but i don't know myself and haven't tested it.

But yeah the creamback would likely be the safest option, from the point of view it probably sounds closest to a g12h30 (?) and we know they're pretty conservatively rated. Plus you have an extra ~25W to spare even if it's not rated that conservatively.
    Dave_Mc said:

This one?

EDIT - I presume it doesn't matter that it's 15 ohms and not 16?
    Yep that's the one. And yeah it doesn't matter, 15 is close enough as far as I'm aware (hopefully ICBM can confirm). On the celestion site it says 16 ohms, anyway. I think they just copied the heritage specs, which are 15 ohms. But yeah it doesn't matter either way, as far as I'm aware.
    No practical difference, or probably any difference - traditionally the value was called 15 ohms, then later 16 ohms, quite probably for exactly the same speaker. The impedance is 'nominal' anyway - it's a calculated value based on an average across the audio frequency range, which varies widely.

Impedance matching is so imprecise usually that you couldn't easily tell which was the better match to the amp even if they were different.

So what about those Zilla cabs then? Mini-Modern or a Compact? How long does it take for Mr Zilla to deliver a cab anyway?
  • So what about those Zilla cabs then? Mini-Modern or a Compact? 

For my money definitely the Mini Modern, from looking at the specs.  Two side handles = easier to move safely, and it is an overall bigger cab so should sound bigger too.