PSA: New Yamaha Transacoustic

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Looks like a built in Tonewood amp?
    Not quite. This is actually a little more advanced as far as I can tell. We also patented this technology several years ago and it was first used in one of our baby grand pianos so it would have to be different. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mgaw said:
    how is it done?
    It's been explained but my tiny brain combined with lots of strong German beer prevented me from understanding fully. What I got was that the back, sides and top are essentially converted into a speaker of sorts using an actuator which lets you add the effects. 

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    its an extraordinarily good idea me thinks......
  • rossyamaha;1031721" said:
    EreforGuitarGear said:

Not quite. This is actually a little more advanced as far as I can tell. We also patented this technology several years ago and it was first used in one of our baby grand pianos so it would have to be different. 
    Didn't mean to cause any offence... Great to see some innovations geared towards acoustic guitars and towards acoustic music. I've been discussing the new yamaha and the Tonewood amp with some friends on Facebook today. Lots of interest in both. I have a Tonewood amp so can only comment on what I had experience of.
    rossyamaha;1031721" said:
    EreforGuitarGear said:

Didn't mean to cause any offence... Great to see some innovations geared towards acoustic guitars and towards acoustic music. I've been discussing the new yamaha and the Tonewood amp with some friends on Facebook today. Lots of interest in both. I have a Tonewood amp so can only comment on what I had experience of.

No offence taken at all. ;-)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    Very neat. A good price too, for what is a decent guitar anyway.

Although in my usual way of being able to always see the cloud as well as the silver lining ;), where's the 12-string mode? The chorus isn't bad, but a more accurate 12-string emulation would be absolutely brilliant, for those of us who sometimes use both and end up having to take two guitars...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2016
    Thought you might like to see this. We visited a few stores this week with one of these. We got to do a quick bit of filming in Guitar Guitar Birmingham. None of the staff knew what the guitar did so these are their first impressions. The sound isn't great but enjoy. 

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I have a vague memory of Yamaha pioneering Piank shaped hi fi speakers for resonance
    Apparently sounded amazing ... If you were listening to piano music ..
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113

These look great @rossyamaha! But I do have a couple of questions!

Firstly, how long does the battery last? And what type of battery is it?

Secondly, how do Yamaha finish their acoustics? is it nitro?

Lastly, I see these are being put on a number of websites at £750. Do you think there'd be any wiggle room on the price if bought from your flagship London store?

• goatgoat Frets: 98
    terada said:

I think i read it was 8 hours and 2 x AAs. 
    terada said:

Lastly, I see these are being put on a number of websites at £750. Do you think there'd be any wiggle room on the price if bought from your flagship London store?

Cheers mate. Yeah they're pretty awesome.

I'll have to check on the batteries but if I remember right, you'll get around 10 hours out of them and they are nice and easy AA's. We do finish some of the MIJ guitars in nitro but these will be a very thin urethan. Like really thin though. 

Price wise, you would have to speak to those guys. Nothing I can do there I'm afraid. 

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    terada said:

Cheers mate. Yeah they're pretty awesome.

I'll have to check on the batteries but if I remember right, you'll get around 10 hours out of them and they are nice and easy AA's. We do finish some of the MIJ guitars in nitro but these will be a very thin urethan. Like really thin though. 

Price wise, you would have to speak to those guys. Nothing I can do there I'm afraid. 

Gotcha! thanks for getting back to me.

If the neck suits my hand, and the price is right, I can see myself picking one of these up!

• As we are about to start shipping these (albeit in small quantities) time to bring this thread back to life!

Here's the vid we did with Mick and Pete last week.