PRS SE Amps?

As far as I understand, these got revised this year and the prices slashed as a result. No-one really seems to have picked up on the changes anywhere except for an obscure reference on MR a while back.

Has anyone played them? Particularly one of the revised models? I'm potentially interested in the SE20 but I haven't been able to find much in the way of reliable information on them online, let alone physically try one out. I'm quite tempted to order one and try it out over xmas, with the option to return it if it sucks. :D
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I did a bit of reading when I was offered one in a trade. 

The 3 sizes all sound quite different and some are meant to be much better than others. 

I don't think any of them are supposed to be earth shatteringly awesome though.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    ...am significantly underwhelmed by all the PSR amps I have seen/heard...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2331

What are the revisions?  I wondered why the prices had reduced and assumed it was because they weren't selling.

Are the new versions cheaper, or are the reduced ones we've been seeing the older ones being sold off?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    I tried one in the summer and very nearly bought one - I went for the evh in the end, mainly as it had midi and 3 channels but I remember the clean channel being a little more gritty than I'd like (rather like the descriptions of the jet city amps).

Here's the discussion
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4067
    edited December 2013
    Cheers John - that's a lot help! Gritty cleans would be a selling point to me so that sounds promising. I've been planning to get a Mesa 5:25 again, but I like 6V6's and the price on these is just very tempting.

Hmm indeed...

@StefB - I can't remember exactly, just that Guitarist/MR seemed to pick up on it but no-one else did. I'll email PRS actually and find out.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    edited December 2013
    Cheers John - that's a lot help! Gritty cleans would be a selling point to me so that sounds promising. I've been planning to get a Mesa 5:25 again, but I like 6V6's and the price on these is just very tempting.

Hmm indeed...

I really liked it but I need super clean tones as well as gritty and iirc the clean channel gain needed dailing right back and anything above 1/4 started to break up - could have been the amps I tried of course but I was left wanting an inbetween channel even more.   Thinking back I did really like the sounds and it was really sold and well made, just not as practical for me as the evh amps.