Favourite moment in your current set

What's Hot
Title says it really - with the exception of getting paid, getting the beers in or getting out of there - whats your favourite moment in your current live set?

I am currently enjoying the Trombone solo in our cover of Message To You Rudi (i only play C, F, G - but that horn solo sounds so sweet)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Our sax player takes a solo during Long Train Running. There's something in the wailing alto sax sound which always makes me smile.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, I just love playing that song, and it always gets them up and dancing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Probably the slowing-down-speeding-up middle bit of California Über Alles (Dead Kennedys). Great fun!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Strapping on the ol double neck SG and playing those intro chords to Hotel California, that 12 string chiming sound along with the other guys 12 string acoustic Taylor just sounds immense 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    The solo to paranoid. It's not that technical but its the first solo i've learnt and (so far) the only one i do in the whole set. 
  • Apart from the buffet, I do enjoy playing Hey Jude at the end of our second set. It can be touch and go as to how it will go down at first - we have had a fair few turned up noses at the start - but we rev it up at the end with a fast part that always goes down a storm and is a great way to go out with a bang. There is a little breakdown we put into Superstition too, just before the last verse, which is fun - everything drops down quiet, I put a few spooky Dazed and Confused style parts in, then we bang on back in for the second part of the verse.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Ah buffets and Bridesmaids, 2 great things about weddings as well as the money. 

@RocknRollDave - That end bit of hey Jude played at the end with a pissed up wedding crowd is a winner everytime in my experience 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    edited April 2016
    Danny1969 said:

Ah buffets and Bridesmaids, 2 great things about weddings as well as the money. 

@RocknRollDave - That end bit of hey Jude played at the end with a pissed up wedding crowd is a winner everytime in my experience 
    It is especially fun seeing the reaction change from those people who - initially - hate Hey Jude, because no-one can resist the good old knees up at the end :)

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1254
    Segue from Superstition into Play That Funky Music (and Dakota into Buck Rogers - yes we're shameless...) be ause audiences always seem to enjoy them and the opening riffs to Paranoid and Rebel Yell because I get to make a lot of noise very suddenly and it makes people jump... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    We've got a couple of pieces that I love. We jump from Blondie's "One Way or Another" into "Teenage Kicks" and back again. That's great when the audience realises we've switched and catches the changes.

We also have another piece which I really love because IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! At the end of our first set we do "Tush" by ZZ Top which allows me to drag out a slide solo for as long as I feel like it. And often I feel like going on for quite a while...

Someone in our audience captured a bit a couple of gigs ago:
  • We've got a couple of pieces that I love. We jump from Blondie's "One Way or Another" into "Teenage Kicks" and back again. That's great when the audience realises we've switched and catches the changes.

Nice try sneaking it through as a Blondie cover, but you are clearly doing One Direction's version! :p

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    edited April 2016
    @RocknRollDave Actually, you're not far off. It depends on the average age of the audience who they think the song is by. Like people who think "You Really Got Me" is by Van Halen!
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    We've got a couple of pieces that I love. We jump from Blondie's "One Way or Another" into "Teenage Kicks" and back again. That's great when the audience realises we've switched and catches the changes.

We also have another piece which I really love because IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! At the end of our first set we do "Tush" by ZZ Top which allows me to drag out a slide solo for as long as I feel like it. And often I feel like going on for quite a while...

Well butter my spuds, we do that as well. Works reall well.

My favourite is the version we do of Take on me by Ah Ha. The drums and me start it off with a boat load of distortion then it moves into a ska/punk version with trombone, sax and trumpet playing the very recognisable melody line. People start to leve the dance floor and immediately come back when they recognise it.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • flatoutflatout Frets: 16
    I've got two high points at the mo - we really nail the vocal harmonies and energy of Pelican by the Maccabees, and I also like doing Figure It Out by Royal Blood. Our drummer is a proper star and really drives those two.
  • rsvmark said:

My favourite is the version we do of Take on me by Ah Ha. The drums and me start it off with a boat load of distortion then it moves into a ska/punk version with trombone, sax and trumpet playing the very recognisable melody line. People start to leve the dance floor and immediately come back when they recognise it.
    That is an excellent idea - how do you feel about sharing it.......
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    rsvmark said:

I'm guessing that's the inspiration? 
    B-)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rsvmark said:

B-)
    Yuk - who is that? The chorus is rank......
    rsvmark said:

B-)
    Reel Big Fish. 
  • rsvmark said:

B-)
    Reel Big Fish. 
    Ahhh - this is Reel Big Fish...... I've heard of them but never actually heard them...... this is 3rd Gen Ska then.....
    edited April 2016
    rsvmark said:

B-)
    Reel Big Fish. 
    Ahhh - this is Reel Big Fish...... I've heard of them but never actually heard them...... this is 3rd Gen Ska then.....
    Yes, although I may just be answering now to get that weird effect of quotes within quotes. The only third wave US  band that stood out to me we're Sublime, although there's a lot of bands I don't know. Anyway, here's the classic Sublime track