Favourite moment in your current set

What's Hot

Comments

• rsvmark said:
    We've got a couple of pieces that I love. We jump from Blondie's "One Way or Another" into "Teenage Kicks" and back again. That's great when the audience realises we've switched and catches the changes.

We also have another piece which I really love because IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! At the end of our first set we do "Tush" by ZZ Top which allows me to drag out a slide solo for as long as I feel like it. And often I feel like going on for quite a while...

Someone in our audience captured a bit a couple of gigs ago:
    Well butter my spuds, we do that as well. Works reall well.

My favourite is the version we do of Take on me by Ah Ha. The drums and me start it off with a boat load of distortion then it moves into a ska/punk version with trombone, sax and trumpet playing the very recognisable melody line. People start to leve the dance floor and immediately come back when they recognise it.
    That is an excellent idea - how do you feel about sharing it.......
    I'm guessing that's the inspiration? 
    B-)
    Yuk - who is that? The chorus is rank......
    Reel Big Fish. 
    Ahhh - this is Reel Big Fish...... I've heard of them but never actually heard them...... this is 3rd Gen Ska then.....
    Yes, although I may just be answering now to get that weird effect of quotes within quotes. The only third wave US  band that stood out to me we're Sublime, although there's a lot of bands I don't know. Anyway, here's the classic Sublime track 
    I like the clipped rhythm guitar part - and the solo is sweet, but it isn't for me, the production is too 'clean' and 'bright' sounding - it doesn't have any funk.........I'll stick to Toots and Prince Buster - just my opinion. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Btw Eric thanks for taking the time to link these clips. Does your band have a website or FB page? I am doing some work in the Birmingham over the next 6 months. I'll try and catch a show. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Btw Eric thanks for taking the time to link these clips. Does your band have a website or FB page? I am doing some work in the Birmingham over the next 6 months. I'll try and catch a show. 
    It should be in my signature although not if you're on the mobile site, but The 2Tone Automatics on Facebook or Twitter. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Ta mate, I'll have a peek. 
    I feel I should answer the original question and bring the Discussion back in line now :\"> We do Longshot ( kick de bucket) going into Liquidator which is a common 2Tone band thing. I get to do aimless widdling over Longshot and jump up and down playing two chords over Liquidator and it is how we close the set so signals a nice sit down. :)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    We used to do the KC and the sunshine band 'Thats the way i like it'
    We started with the Do do do do do do do do do in full 4 part harmany and the band all in with brass as well. Starting the second set was stunning, literally! Going from quietly moving on stage to an 8 piece band at full chat in 1 beat would grab anyones attention and it was fun to see lots of heads swivel as we let lose.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I feel I should answer the original question and bring the Discussion back in line now :\"> We do Longshot ( kick de bucket) going into Liquidator which is a common 2Tone band thing. I get to do aimless widdling over Longshot and jump up and down playing two chords over Liquidator and it is how we close the set so signals a nice sit down. :)
    Good lord, Liquidator is a controversial song to be playing in our area! Does it ever get nasty...?

RocknRollDave;1034946" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I feel I should answer the original question and bring the Discussion back in line now :\"> We do Longshot ( kick de bucket) going into Liquidator which is a common 2Tone band thing. I get to do aimless widdling over Longshot and jump up and down playing two chords over Liquidator and it is how we close the set so signals a nice sit down. :)

Good lord, Liquidator is a controversial song to be playing in our area! Does it ever get nasty...?
    No. We have had issues with Woolly Bully though. As that's possibly my least favourite in our set I'm happy for an excuse to not play it but our singer is convinced people love it (I'm just convinced he finds it easy to sing).
  • Excuse my totally ignorance - I do not mean to offend - but why would these songs be contravesial
    Excuse my totally ignorance - I do not mean to offend - but why would these songs be contravesial
    There's a long, complex history with Liquidator . Used as run out music for several clubs including Chelsea and the Wolves and West Brom. As I understand it the song became associated with football violence and is never played at the Wolves anymore, only occasionally at West Brom. Woolly Bully played in celebration of Steve Bull of the Wolves. As he has been retired from football for about 25 years it's men of a certain age who tend to have that association. I live deep in Baggies territory so if we play a local gig it's almost guaranteed to piss off somebody. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    I'm not giggin atm but in my last we did James' Sit Down into Blur's Girls & Boys into Pulp's Disco 2000 which was always a great 13 minutes or so. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Excuse my totally ignorance - I do not mean to offend - but why would these songs be contravesial
    There's a long, complex history with Liquidator . Used as run out music for several clubs including Chelsea and the Wolves and West Brom. As I understand it the song became associated with football violence and is never played at the Wolves anymore, only occasionally at West Brom. Woolly Bully played in celebration of Steve Bull of the Wolves. As he has been retired from football for about 25 years it's men of a certain age who tend to have that association. I live deep in Baggies territory so if we play a local gig it's almost guaranteed to piss off somebody. 

Excuse my totally ignorance - I do not mean to offend - but why would these songs be contravesial
    Ah - thanks for the insight. It seems probable that I wont offend in North Wales then!
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Probably OCS - 100 Mile High City and Suede - Beautiful Ones.

And the gaps between songs when I can take a glug of Ale.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Probably OCS - 100 Mile High City and Suede - Beautiful Ones.

100 mile high city - never covered that - bet its good to do.....
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9686
    I played the Liquidator at a church fete once! Had the recurring bass and rhythm on a looper, then rocked the organ over the top. Went down extremely well but then again I too am deep in Baggies country where there were no Wolves fans who dare to admit it. There was slightly less swearing on this occasion than is customary though

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Probably OCS - 100 Mile High City and Suede - Beautiful Ones.

100 mile high city - never covered that - bet its good to do.....

It is @Placidcasual79 I like to do the less obvious(but equally good) tracks from certain bands. 100 Mile High beats Riverboat song or TDWCTT anyday to me.

We are a 2 Guitar band so it works well.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    I played the Liquidator at a church fete once! Had the recurring bass and rhythm on a looper, then rocked the organ over the top. Went down extremely well but then again I too am deep in Baggies country where there were no Wolves fans who dare to admit it. There was slightly less swearing on this occasion than is customary though

Just made me think about this .
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31475
    Our singer told someone on Facebook that she could rap and she knew all the words to My Name Is, so on a prearranged signal the rest of us break into it in random places at gigs and force her to do the first verse.

It fits seamlessly into things like Price Tag, but is more fun when you shoehorn it into a Sam Cooke ballad. She never knows if or when it's coming, but she's a good sport luckily.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    A band I used to be in did Johnny B. Goode, but with a middle section that consisted of four times round the main riff from In The Mood with a key change up a minor third every time to get back to the original key but sounding like it had shifted up a gear. Always got everyone going! Admittedly we were mostly playing working men's clubs and the like where In The Mood was probably the first record most of the punters bought :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Not gigging right now. There was one band I played for where the favourite moment was either the end of the last set or that moment during the load-out when the Man comes round with the money.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself