Celtic folk music

What's Hot
Is anyone playing this genre of guitar music? I've just bought a book of 'easy' traditional Celtic songs and it's great. Everything is played on open strings or first 3 frets (is that first position?) musical notation and tab. Only had the book for a couple of hours and I've managed to play a couple of tunes that sound recognizable! Great for finger style players. Might try a bit of flat picking bluegrass next!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I had several Celtic "standards" worked into a fingerstyle solo guitar arrangement when I was gigging as a classical guitarist.  "Star of the County Down", a slow, erie version of "Morisons Jig" and a couple of medleys.  I learned how to put medleys together from sitting in at Celtic jam sessions, fiddlers are a fountain of knowledge at those.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Although there are other, more purist acts to listen to, I rather like Runrig, and the Davy Spillane crossover albums.

Making up your own similar melodies over similar chord progressions is fun.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Check out this website they have transcriptions of numerous traditional tunes.

• Check out this website they have transcriptions of numerous traditional tunes.

Thanks for the link. There are some peeps on their forum who have obviously low opinions of guitarists within a Celtic band/group.....I'll just keep schtum and avail myself of the download facilities.
    Nothing wrong with it, so long as you're not wearing an arran knit sweater & brown cord trousers with a pewter tankard hanging from a leather belt, and your finger isn't in your ear
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    There are plenty of "guitars don't belong in Celtic music" folkies still around.
    There are plenty of "guitars don't belong in Celtic music" folkies still around.
    I bet they're happy with a bouzouki though, and that's a Greek instrument
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Nothing wrong with it, so long as you're not wearing an arran knit sweater & brown cord trousers with a pewter tankard hanging from a leather belt, and your finger isn't in your ear
    That's a nice ensemble you've got there - I didn't know you were in fashion : >
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2016

Not Celtic per say but these are a great band, I especially like the harmonies and vocal melody lines and dissonant, bluesgrassy string harmonies, although in fairness, rather than Nordic, they are probably more to do with middle eastern influence.  NO idea how I would approach this though.  Certainly haven't got the voice for it eh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Dh_azZqyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mj83glvgdk&list=PL76E534052439E2B8

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Powerful thing folk music.  If you get it right everyone wants to get hammered and then go and put on their SS helmets and rape women and cut off people's heads.  If you get it wrong you are a boring twat with a big beard and a brown cardigan who smells of farts.  But if you get it right, you can still be that same man but transposed to chief warrior status.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    I was going to buy a banjo ,but no need a Tele works fine.

Sambo has the right of it.so just enjoy yourself and fuck the begrudgers.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Angelina Carberry and Martin Quinn playing a pair of Fletcher Tenor Guitars
    If you want to do plectrum playing (flat picking) you could try this approach - learn Irish tenor banjo plectrum technique and apply it to the tenor guitar, I’ve been suggesting this for yonks to folks wanting to play Scots / Irish tunes ‘flat picked’ on guitar. Finally a well respected young traditional Irish banjo player leads the way.

far removed from 'Celticana' is this young traditional Irish fiddler in his early 20’s - the embodyment of the likes of Michael Colman and Tommy Peoples