Help me Size my next acoustic

What's Hot
andyozandyoz Frets: 718
edited April 2016 in Acoustics
Hi,

I've got an old Yamaha LL500 that sounds great but I find the body a bit too big when trying to cross over from playing the electric.  See image below (not mine).  It's the body depth that is the main issue - other dimensions are fine.  I think the body is somewhere between a Jumbo and Dreadnaught?

I'm after a nice semi-acoustic with cutaway that has a thinner body (probably prefer a Dreadnaught type dimensions but not too fussy as it the LL500 depth that gets me).  I don't know much about pickups but generally don't like the sound of bridge piezo pickups (they may be better now) so one of the things with a mic in the soundhole might float my boat.

Taylor type quality level.  Their sizing confuses me and I have no shops near me to try the various ones.

Would prefer second hand as it won't be a case queen.  Anyone spotted any online deals, eBay or second hand stuff here I should be looking at.  Budgets around £1000 but could go higher for the right one.

Andy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited April 2016
    I just spotted this at Coda.  I was loking at a guys Seagull on the weekend funny enough and really lijked alot of things about it - the funky small headstock, etc.

Any opinions?

http://www.coda-music.com/seagull-artist-studio-secondhand-p-23399.html

• Off topic.....but I hate to see guitars that close to swimming pools.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    haha, I hate see guitars laying on paving stones without a towel underneath in photos..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I love 12 series Taylors - smaller than a Martin 000 - but (particularly the cedar and mahogany 512ce) very balanced.

The cedar and mahogany ones are much less 'sharp' sounding than the spruce and rosewood ones.
    Thanks @richardhomer.

The 12 series might be a bit too small. I'm thinking a 414ce might be hard to beat. I've played the acoustic a bit more and realised I just needed to get used to the size again. A slightly smaller cutaway semi-acoustic is what I need
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    andyoz said:
    Thanks @richardhomer.

The 12 series might be a bit too small. I'm thinking a 414ce might be hard to beat. I've played the acoustic a bit more and realised I just needed to get used to the size again. A slightly smaller cutaway semi-acoustic is what I need
    It's a Taylor.  It's not hard to beat - for instance any Martin.  If you don't want to spend Martin money then look at Faith or Furch/Stonebridge.
  • Lowden LSE guitars have a shallower body
    edited April 2016
    I'm in Nth Ireland so Lowden, Avalon are local and you can get good deals going directly to them.  A guy at work got a £3K retail Avalon for £1,500 direct as it had been used in some trade shows.  lovely neck on it.

I'd always got the feeling Lowden and Avalon were more for fingerpicking and I'm more a strummer.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    edited April 2016
    andyoz said:

I'd always got the feeling Lowden and Avalon were more for fingerpicking and I'm more a strummer.

I had a 414ce and found it quite boxy sounding for strumming.
    If truth be told dreadnoughts are probably best for strumming.