Those Classic Album Box Sets...

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

...are jolly good value.

Just got the Thin Lizzy one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Album-Selection-Thin-Lizzy/dp/B007X1ZQSU

5 albums for £15. Of course it's just the regular albums without the bonus tracks of recent re-issues, but still good stuff. I only had one of these on CD before (and two others on cassette).

There's a Van Halen one as well with all the DLR era CDs...and I spotted a Doors one in a record shop the other day, so with any luck I'll be getting some "record tokens" for Xmas.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    There's loads of "4 Classic Albums on one CD" collections - particularly Jazz ones - great way to build a collection for £8-£10 a pop
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I have in the past bought Coleman Hawkins, Glen Miller, and Dokken box sets.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3900
    I've got The Jam and Style Council ones. I've told our lass to pop them in my coffin when I peg it.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    I got 
    10.000 maniacs 5 albums (just over a tenner)
    ZZ top 5 Albums just under a tenner.
    Amazon.
    I havent really played the zz top as i cant take the 10.000 maniacs off its Aces High!!!
  • Picked up a Rory Gallagher one recently which had 5 albums. Handy as I previously only had them on vinyl
  • Picked up a Rory Gallagher one recently which had 5 albums. Handy as I previously only had them on vinyl

Which one was that @stagestruck? I've got the "let's go to work" live box set of Rory's.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited December 2013

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    viz said:

Beatles White?        :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Picked up a similar set of Weather Report albums recently. Great value and means I can sell my vinyl copies and make a profit on the whole deal. Thinking of doing the same with my Mahavishnu albums too. Result! :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    JAYJO said:
    viz said:

Beatles White?        :D
    Metallica Black, he's colour blind
    :-/

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I nearly nearly nearly bought some yesterday. I wanted to get the REO Speedwagon one, but to be honest it has a live album as one of the included albums and I don't really listen to live albums - the one I really want is Nine Lives and it's not in there.

I also really wanted the Lynyrd Skynyrd one but again - I held off... only this time because I already have "Pronounced..." so I would only be getting 4 albums but then again it'd be in a different case blah blah blah... I'm terrible. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    This reminds me that when I was a kid I had that Status Quo box set "From The Makers Of…" which was actually a compilation album rather than a collection of full albums. It came in a special round metal tin with (if I remember right) five discs inside. Given how much of a pain it was to get the discs in and out - the inner sleeves were still square of course - I can see why the concept didn't catch on!

I kept it for a long time thinking that it might be of some collector interest, but when it turned out not to be I sold it for whatever I could get (not much, don't remember exactly) and replaced it with most of the original albums… on pre-recorded cassette, how's that for swapping one dead-end medium with another :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    ICBM;116620" said:
    This reminds me that when I was a kid I had that Status Quo box set "From The Makers Of…" which was actually a compilation album rather than a collection of full albums. It came in a special round metal tin with (if I remember right) five discs inside. Given how much of a pain it was to get the discs in and out - the inner sleeves were still square of course - I can see why the concept didn't catch on!

I kept it for a long time thinking that it might be of some collector interest, but when it turned out not to be I sold it for whatever I could get (not much, don't remember exactly) and replaced it with most of the original albums… on pre-recorded cassette, how's that for swapping one dead-end medium with another :).
    Still got mine, in what my mum described as a quality street tin. The inner sleeves were definitely round on mine though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    RobDavies said:
    Still got mine, in what my mum described as a quality street tin. The inner sleeves were definitely round on mine though.
    Interesting! With mine you had to sort of carefully fold them round the discs, they were made of thin plastic a bit like a biodegradable carrier bag. Much faffing around if you wanted a disc near the bottom. There might have been inlay cards that were round as well, I can't remember.

Did yours also used to roll off the shelf when you moved another album, resulting in unexpected gymnastics to catch it with the other hand? :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Deadman said:
    I've got The Jam and Style Council ones. I've told our lass to pop them in my coffin when I peg it.
    Don't worry, I'll be happy to toss them in for you.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    Seems a lot of the time, these concentrate on an artist/bands "difficult" (read: cheaper to license) period, but there are some notable exceptions; I've got (and love) the Sly Stone one (all but one - Fresh - of his essential albums), the Dr John one, and the Lou Reed one (although buyer beware - there's a second Lou Reed one with the ropey late 70s/early 80s fare).
    axisus said:
    Deadman said:
    You? I hope you're not that old fella in your profile pic as he'll be dead long before me!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    Deadman said:
    axisus said:
    Deadman said:
    You? I hope you're not that old fella in your profile pic as he'll be dead long before me!
    Indeed I surely will! I was only joking actually, I always liked the style council and the Jam have undoubtedly written many classic hits. 
    I always use the intro of 'You're the best thing' to test if a guitar has creamy pickups and plays like butter.