Kemper Profiler Questions

asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
Hi All

It has been said in my request to get a Boutique Amp,that as i D.I my guitar it would be a waste of money
to bother with one.

OK,how about a Kemper,does anyone have one,know anything about them?

And of course the million dollar question are they any good?

I don't need the Amp,the rack version would probably do.

Thanks

Alan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    My rack version arrived on monday. It is extremely good. I have not completed my acclimatisation yet though.
    Buy one from Thomann, you can send it back within 30 days, £15 return postage I think it is, 
    the stock patches were dreadful, easy to tweak though, but I ordered it with this:
    it's only £8 extra, and contains some very good amps
    the ones on the Kemper site are very good though

For the cleaner amps it is closer to my boutique amps than I have been able to achieve with my Axe Fx 2,
    and is of course much easier to use, since you have more amp-like controls on the front

If you want metal patches, I suspect the Axefx 2 would be better (it's also better for FX I think)
    btw, most factory presets for the AF2 are lame too

both the AF2 and Kemper will sound better than anything short of 9/10 or 10/10 classic designs of valve amps that have been wired by hand with quality components. Even with top valve amps, I doubt you'd get metal patches as good as the AF2 can produce
    Both myself and another prolific poster on this forum have sold boutique amps after getting the AF2, these modellers really are that good. 

A common problem is using small near-field monitors, you do need excellent monitors (with a sub really) or real studio grade headphones (£200 - £300 probably) to fully enjoy these modellers

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912

I've had the rack version for a few months and I can agree with @ToneControl that the stock profiles are a bit disappointing. When I first plugged mine in I was very underwhelmed by the sounds I was getting (with no tweaking).

The good news is there are loads of good profiles available online, either as free downloads from the Kemper site or commercial ones from The Amp Factory, Soundside and others. The downside is that it's very easy to get into 'profile hell' by downloading everything from the Rig Exchange and every other free profile and then trying to sort through 3000+ to get the sounds you want. There are some very good profiles on the Rig Exchange but there are some very poor ones too. Bad micing technique and cheap gear do not a good profile make! My preference is for the Amp Factory profiles which are available in bundles or for single amps. I was slightly spoiled as I bought my KPA from Andertons and got a deal on a TAF bundle. Once I'd heard those I wanted more! TAF has a fair few profiles available for free download so check those out first.

I like a full range of tones from clean to high gain and my favourite profiles so far have been the Bogner Goldfinger, the Marshall 1987x, the Fender Bassman and the Orange Rockerverb (all from TAF).

The controls on the KPA are very amp like so easy to adjust, although there's a lot of depth for tweaking if you want to. The fx are very good but not as wide ranging as the Fractal Units. If you just want the basics the KPA has everything you'll need, including the best wah I've ever heard from a digital unit.

Soundwise, it's more amplike than my Axe FX Ultra and the subtleties show through more. I've not compared it directly to an Axe II but I have played through one a few times and I'd say the KPA sounds more like a valve amp, especially on the 'just breaking up' tones but they're both really good and there's not that much in it tba. I've yet to try mine into a good PA system but have used it with Matrix or VHT power amps into two 2x12 cabs and into my monitor speakers in my little home studio. I'm really impressed with it. I still have a couple of valve amps but they're gathering dust at the moment.

If you do decide to get one then register on the Kemper forum. Lots of good info there including the wiKPA, which is essential reading.

I've had the rack version for a few months and I can agree with @ToneControl that the stock profiles are a bit disappointing. When I first plugged mine in I was very underwhelmed by the sounds I was getting (with no tweaking).

The good news is there are loads of good profiles available online, either as free downloads from the Kemper site or commercial ones from The Amp Factory, Soundside and others. The downside is that it's very easy to get into 'profile hell' by downloading everything from the Rig Exchange and every other free profile and then trying to sort through 3000+ to get the sounds you want. There are some very good profiles on the Rig Exchange but there are some very poor ones too. Bad micing technique and cheap gear do not a good profile make! My preference is for the Amp Factory profiles which are available in bundles or for single amps. I was slightly spoiled as I bought my KPA from Andertons and got a deal on a TAF bundle. Once I'd heard those I wanted more! TAF has a fair few profiles available for free download so check those out first.

I like a full range of tones from clean to high gain and my favourite profiles so far have been the Bogner Goldfinger, the Marshall 1987x, the Fender Bassman and the Orange Rockerverb (all from TAF).

The controls on the KPA are very amp like so easy to adjust, although there's a lot of depth for tweaking if you want to. The fx are very good but not as wide ranging as the Fractal Units. If you just want the basics the KPA has everything you'll need, including the best wah I've ever heard from a digital unit.

Soundwise, it's more amplike than my Axe FX Ultra and the subtleties show through more. I've not compared it directly to an Axe II but I have played through one a few times and I'd say the KPA sounds more like a valve amp, especially on the 'just breaking up' tones but they're both really good and there's not that much in it tba. I've yet to try mine into a good PA system but have used it with Matrix or VHT power amps into two 2x12 cabs and into my monitor speakers in my little home studio. I'm really impressed with it. I still have a couple of valve amps but they're gathering dust at the moment.

If you do decide to get one then register on the Kemper forum. Lots of good info there including the wiKPA, which is essential reading.

All sounds like good advice from @DrWiddly
    The clean to just breaking up is my favourite zone, and I can confirm the KPA is excellent at that
    The AF2 is good at it too, but it's a lot harder to get those sort of patches working, and none were really challenging my favourite real amps, but the KPA seems to be a lot nearer . I'm happy to have both, why not have a strat a tele and an LP is you know what I mean, but the AF2 is more something as well as my amps, whereas the KPA is more "like" my amps. As I say, if you want metal though, I suspect the AF2 is probably the best choice
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks for the replies which are most encouraging. I have read most of the KPA site,including the manual,listened to the demo's on TAF site which are very impressive,much better than my modellers. I am only interested in clean sounds and I have already picked out a few singles I would like,but I am getting ahead of myself. Would I take the output from the rear of the KMA and plug it into my Focusrite Saffire 14 Interface, or use the USB. I was going to get mine from Andertons but they are out of stock,next delivery 30 January. Alan

There's no usb out on the KPA, unlike the Axe II it doesn't work as a recording interface for your pc.

The usb ports are used for updates and adding profiles using a usb stick.

PS - No idea why my lengthy reply above posted twice. Could the mods please delete one?
    Thanks drwiddly Which way would I connect the KPA to my interface. Main out or direct out,or would either do? Alan

If you have an spdif input on your interface then connect via the KPA's digital out. Saves an additional D/a conversion.

Otherwise, use either of the outputs, depending on what cables you have available. I tend to use the monitor out with cabs off for connection to my power amp/cabs and use the xlr outs for my interface if not going digital out.

One other thing I've found is that the cab makes a huge difference to a profile. Download and install Tills' cab pack (links on the forum). They really liven up some otherwise mediocre profiles.

Thanks for that,I do have an SPDIF In on my interface so I will use that. I also have Recabinet and Redwirez Vox and Fender Impulses,but I will try the Tills you mention. I keep going back to the manual and reading a bit more,it will be after Xmas before it eke it any further but I like to be prepared.Alan
  • I know a few people who really liked em then tried them in a live band situation and sold em on coz they didn't do the business live-it's kinda put me off em a bit!
  • Has anyone tried the dv mark thing? I know Andy James used one, but it doesn't seem to get the coverage of the kemper or af2. Is it just because the kemper is so good?
    not tried one. Tone World recommend them

My opinion is that half of the deal is quality of the community sharing patches, I know that's there for Fractal and Kemper, I doubt there's as much for DV Mark, since it's not as well known, and I assume fewer have been sold

It looks quite basic to me (the screen and controls), I'd worry about it being discontinued if it doesn't compete with AF2 & KPA, which are much bigger fish and are doing this as their main product, not as a sideline. Getting stuck with lesser known digital gear that no one uses or wants means money lost, so I would not get one, even of they are as good as the KPA, it seems they have arrived too late to the party
    asimmd said:
    Thanks for that,I do have an SPDIF In on my interface so I will use that. I also have Recabinet and Redwirez Vox and Fender Impulses,but I will try the Tills you mention. I keep going back to the manual and reading a bit more,it will be after Xmas before it eke it any further but I like to be prepared.Alan
    You can download a free utility from the Kemper site to convert third party IR's to the KPA format.
    Thanks for the info.

How easy is it to get a good clean sound from the Kemper.

For clean think Hank Marvin,i know it's old,but so am i.

Alan

edited December 2013

Very easy. There are lots of good Fender, Vox, Matchless and boutique amp profiles out there.

BTW Alan, if you're anywhere near Selby you'd be very welcome to come and try the Kemper before you buy.
    lots of lovely clean patches, install and 10 seconds later play it
    drwiddly Thanks for the offer,unfortunately I am not close enough. I don't think there are any shops close to Southport that stock it either,so I will need to rely on distance selling regs,but if it's as good as you say,it won't be going back. I don't know whether to get the rack version or not,I do have a rack,but it is under my desk,I Would have to move it to on top. ToneControl,you are teasing me,but I like it. Alan
    I suspect the rack ones will retain their value better. It has little rubber feet anyway if you want to put it on a desk