Your practice routine split - lead and rhythm playing

It struck me that when doing strict technique practice I seem to default to single note playing with a metronome - scales/chromatic finger exercises/arpeggios etc.  Despite these obviously being helpful for dexterity and accuracy, I'm much more a rhythm player than a lead player (in the most basic sense).

So I've been trying to make my own chord/rhythm exercises based on tougher rhythm parts in songs I've written.

It got me wondering - is this common?  When doing actual practice how many prioritise rhythm practice?  What kinds of exercises do you do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2016
    I don't practice specific rhythm guitar exercises, but I suppose I practice by playing rhythm parts to actual songs.

I've played in covers bands for years and I'm massively into Nile Rodgers, so I've worked on that style of rhythm (with scratchy left hand muting) in the context on learning actual songs. Also, rock rhythms with right hand palm muting and open strumming (acoustic type) styles, but again in the context of playing actual songs.

It's not a competition.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited April 2016

I actually don't, at least not for the last twenty years, I tap my foot and mix between playing rhythm and lead and a bit if both.  I don't really distinguish between the two actually as for years I did as a teen and that became a fundamental weakness. 

If you are in a two guitar band it makes sense to do it this way and if you are in a one guitar band it also makes sense.  Impeccable timing isn't that important, as long as your foot/head/playing is back on the beat by the fourth bar.  I find it mush easier to practice things in the context of a mind set or mood and swing, that way your lead fills and rhythms overlap naturally and your lead really gets tested and fits the mood and beat.

You are there to entertain and motivate and inspire.  Simple as.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRewopc1MwA

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    A typical hour's practise is
    warm up/scales
    picking and/or legato exercises
    playing to a backing track

Unless I'm learning a specific part then it's
    warm up/scales 
    get fingering right for part
    practise part with metronome.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I try to split my routine evenly so I'm either learning the rhythm section of a song or messing around with soloing

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    I've realised I no longer practise just to get better, and probably haven't for many years, hence my playing has probably got worse. I only practise if I have a specific set or song to learn; most of that time will be spent learning the structure of the song, which is what I struggle with, then a bit of time on the rhythm (if I have any rhythm duties) and a bit of time writing or learning the melody, solo, etc.

I do however quite often pick up the guitar and just play for my own enjoyment, but I wouldn't say I work on progressing. Very lazy!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    Similar to @Sambostar, I don't distinguish between rhythm and lead any more, it's all just guitar playing. Putting solos to one side, most guitar based song accompaniments, or instrumentals, involve combinations of picking and strumming, so I think it's better to think of it all as one. Having said that its got to be wise to question your practise regime, and if you've got the insight and discipline to spot and concentrate on areas of weakness, then good for you. Someone on here recently recommended David Meads guitar gym app. I downloaded it and have been using it every day. It has revealed some serious shortcomings in my plectrum picking technique, which is great, it gives me something to improve on.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I think it used to be said guitarists spend 90% of their practice time on lead and 90% of their time in a band playing rhythm. Although these are pretty false distinctions these days I know.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited April 2016
    ... Just to add that despite having been a woolly and unfocused guitarist for many years practice ideally should be goal driven. I was watching a Paul Gilbert interview and he talked about how his goal starting out was to be able to play what was in his head and that got lost for many years as he developed the ability to play fast scales, complete the exercises given to him at MIT, etc. It was only later on in life he went back to that initial goal and started again on channeling his inner Robin Trower, Beatles, etc.
    I guess I tend to see my goal as playing guitar in a band. So, if I'm in a band then that gives me clear goals (work out guitar part, learn guitar part) but I have done 'I'm not in a band but if I was what would we be playing' and used that as focus, although it runs the risk of disappearing up my own arse imagining I'm the next BB King.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    I never practice specific exercises any more. I'm either rehearsing with the band, writing, or learning new material. Don't even noodle that much any more.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ