What's the most expensive guitar you gig with?

What's Hot
DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
Recently started gigging and after a hiatus while our singer became a father for the first time we're looking to pick up some momentum now.

I have a well used Gibson Les Paul Axcess which I've gigged and will continue to do so however just before Xmas I picked up one of the ebony Trini Lopez limited run models. I had thought I'd gig it as I do believe "guitars are for playing" but given it's somewhat fragile construction, the fact it would be very hard to replace and having just seen one for sale in the classifieds for £2300, all of a sudden a beater ES guitar for gigs is looking quite appealing.

So my question to those seasoned pub giggers is do you play your expensive & more collectable guitars at gigs or do you save them for at home?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    I'm not sure I'm a 'seasoned pub gigger', although I have played quite a few… but I've always used the best guitar for the job regardless of cost. There have been a few rough-ish gigs (although not compared to some of the ones some others here have described I don't think) that have made me a bit nervous, but not to the point of buying a cheaper substitute guitar. I don't always use the most expensive, but I've never kept the good ones for home use only.

Fragility is an issue though. I almost never take a spare guitar, so I'd be more concerned about taking a modern Gibson than a vintage Tele for example, even if the Tele is worth far more. The headstock on a Trini would particularly worry me...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    Yes the headstock is a bit more of an issue I guess.

I'm inclined to agree with you though in terms of the best guitar for the job.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I take out what I need soundwise which will be a LP, Ric or vintage archtop. If I play a dodgy venue I'll keep the guitar in its case as long as possible.
    Good shout, that's easy enough to do
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited April 2016
    So far - My Sadowsky, Jon Le Voi, Tom Anderson & Morgan Les Paul

EDIT: Fully insured
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    Mine are insured to the hilt. So I take them out and play them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26567
    Almost certainly my Jaden Rose Driftwood Modern T, probably around the £2k mark. The Lite version is probably about half that.
    <space for hire>
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Stand to the left of the singer if you're right handed, so that you don't accidentally break your headstock off in their ribs. In my experience your band members are more likely to damage your equipment than the punters.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Maynehead said:
    Stand to the left of the singer if you're right handed, so that you don't accidentally break your headstock off in their ribs. In my experience your band members are more likely to damage your equipment than the punters.
    Yep. I was in a band a few years ago and the singer broke the headstock clean off my Gretsch Jet Firebird.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Depends on the venue for me. We play some cramped places where the audience is right on us and the drummer doesn't have much room to get out from behind his kit, so really there's a higher chance of an accident happening , those are "telecaster" gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Maynehead;1043646" said:
    Thankfully my default position is on the far left...and it's just as well as our singer is a big bugger

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I play my PRS and my Tele as a backup unless it's a tiny venue with no storage space for cases. In those I just take my Tele and play it all the way through because if I break a string, it won't go out of tune like the PRS as I have the vibrato set up for floating.

I always feel that guitars are for playing. They're tools and should be used.
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Frets: 293
    1959 Les Paul TV.

If someone nicks it/destroys it I'll be fucked off. But I'll just play something else.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I gig my 2014 trini Lopez if I fancy using it. I used to worry about the value but what's the point in owning if you're not going to play it?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402

Well technically the guitar ain't mine as we are sponsored but it cost about 2K, singers guitar was 4.5k and bass players bass was about 3K. We also use a 4K 12 string acoustic Taylor. Nothing's happened in 12 years so far though, other than the single hitting the Taylor with a mic lead end which knocked a hole in the front of it, now expertly covered with a butterfly motiff. Generally you keep your eye on things, maintain your strap locks and look after the guitars like you would any tools

To be honest it's the things you don't think off that really cost a lot. The PA and desk complete with mics is over 10K to buy new and that doesn't  include a single cable 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    badlydrawnbanjo;1043870" said:
    I gig my 2014 trini Lopez if I fancy using it. I used to worry about the value but what's the point in owning if you're not going to play it?
    No that's what I've always thought. I think I was having a funny five minutes when I posted last night. I shall be using my Trini and any other guitar I choose to.

It's still interesting to hear what other people are playing though.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    1955 Gibson Les Paul Junior mainly
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    edited April 2016
    Tom Anderson Cobra for every gig. My son gigged his TA Drop Top to death, once the first ding is on it you're off and running. His is now the most reliced one I've seen and seems to play and feel all the better for it...all in the mind probably
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    PRS.
    I remember @ICBM saying he's a quick string changer so doesn't take a spare. It's a real ball-ache taking a spare and I'm coming round to the idea of not doing it.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I take the Guthrie Charvel and backup is either Axis or more recently Kotzen Tele - I don't drink and keep a close eye on all the band gear but as some of you say - in a pub the punters can be right there in front oe even to the side of you so accidents may happen.

I'm not precious about them and they are there to be played but the first few dents on a nice guitar are always the most painful, a few more and it's battle scarred which is more acceptable :p The only think it affects is resale value really.