What's the most expensive guitar you gig with?

What's Hot

Comments

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Si_ said:
    I havent gigged for a while but I always take the guitar I'm most comfortable with on the morning of the gig, be it £3000 or £300, I don't really think about the price.
    Me too mate, used to gig a three grand Suhr, never bothered me, I never leave my guitars out of my sight.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • i always take a spare guitar not so much for string breakage, i have an irrational fear of plugging in a guitar and it not working, could be a simple thing like a broken connection inside the jack socket, or a failed switch on a les paul ( i have had this , luckily not at a gig), i dont own what most people call expensive guitars, my dearest one is a les paul studio, nicely bashed about so im not precious about keeping it unmarked.
  • Last Gig, I took a Gibson R8 which cost a lot.  Next gig (Halloween) I'm gonna use a £40 Westone Thunder Jet, 'cos it's REALLY black.  I'm finding that I'm choosing guitars based on what they look like more than anything.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I gig my Bartram mandolin (insured for £1.5k) and my Sabre acoustic (insured for £5k). Sure, my eyes are glued to them at all times, but they're literally made to be played to people.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    My most expensive guitar is my MusicMan Axis Super Sport with piezo bridge - I bought in brand new in the US in 2003 (when I was on honeymoon!). At the time, I priced up the same spec in the UK and it would have cost me £2,300 over here but it cost about a third of that over there. Don't gig as much nowadays but it was always one of two guitars I took to gigs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I used to use a Gibson MII as my main guitar & a MusicMan JP-7 for the peizo & drop-D stuff. If I'd bought it new in the UK it would have cost ~£2k7. But it did encourage me to take out insurance :)

Now I have a MM JP-6 as well - but that hasn't been gigged yet

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    You heard the joke about the musician who puts £15,000 of gear in a £1,500 car to drive 100 miles to do a £50 gig?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My LP, which cost me £1200 back in 2000
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    trolley said:

I used to use a Gibson MII as my main guitar & a MusicMan JP-7 for the peizo & drop-D stuff. If I'd bought it new in the UK it would have cost ~£2k7. But it did encourage me to take out insurance :)

Now I have a MM JP-6 as well - but that hasn't been gigged yet

Probably not a cool choice but I really like the look of the MIII's   I should have got one back in the day.  Do you still play it?
  • Single les Paul nowadays but as others have mentioned too I keep an eye on it like a hawk and very aware of my surroundings to avoid any knocks etc. Plus I don't move around that much when playing ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Gibson BB King Lucille for some selected gigs, Fender CS Nocaster for others...USA Strat for most.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    Apparently I'm playing Nov 4th at the Overbury Music Night. As will @rsvmark

I shall take the Strat. So c. £12-15k.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Why own it if you aren't going to gig it? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    Why own it if you aren't going to gig it? 
    That was the logic which made me sell my '61 Gibson J-45.

The stupidity of that decision still annoys me twenty years later...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    Interesting replies. Since I started this thread I've actually traded the Trini and never ended up gigging it - not because I was worried, but simply because other guitars were a better fit for the music & me....which seems to be the consensus here.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    Gassage said:
    Apparently I'm playing Nov 4th at the Overbury Music Night. As will @rsvmark

I shall take the Strat. So c. £12-15k.
    Am I? 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Whatever I fancy playing, cost is not even nearly on the agenda. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Deijavoo said:
    Whatever I fancy playing, cost is not even nearly on the agenda. 
    This.    

Just choose the guitars that suit the gig and you feel like playing.   If you can afford to buy it then you can afford to enjoy it.   
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    For rawk/covers I usually take my Tom Anderson Hollow Body Drop Top (Cost me £1.5k, replacement would be £3k-£3.5k) , and a LP (normally my £3k Morgan) as string break spare.

The jazz ones - the Sadowsky Jim Hall cost me less than an ES175 (£2.2k with an exchange rate of $2.5=£1)), now costs considerably more (£4k).  And LeVoi Maccaferri style (about £2.7k) for the Django stuff.  Don't take a spare for the Sadowsky as the strings are thick (12s, wound 3rd) and don't get bent or what have you (only change them once a year - if that often).  For the Django stuff I take a Breedlove OM/MMe I got for a couple of hundred quid in case I break a string. The Breedlove is a great little guitar.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • In the past i've played gigs with a guitar that cost £800 new, but only on special occasions. My regular gigging guitars are an Ibanez blazer which cost me £90 (fantastic guitar for the money as long as the frets aren't worn like mine were when it arrived), and a squier project worth about £50 but with Bulldog pickups in it.

Personally I can't justify the heartache of having my nicer guitars damaged at a gig, even though they are insured. The only two expensive guitars I own are a custom build and a rare ESP so replacing them would be near impossible.

Reading peoples comments here, my guitars are nowhere near the price level of some of yours! There is not a chance in hell that I would play a gig with a guitar worth £2k or more haha.