Fingerpicking help.

BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Trying to learn this gorgeous acoustic piece:

I've found a tab, which seems to be accurate:

Starting just with the opening riff, it's straight eighth-notes on the two low D strings, which is obviously fine, but then the melody on the top strings is kind of syncopated and while I can play the two separately, I can't put them together even at slow speeds.

How can I approach learning this?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    edited April 2016
    Count out LOUD (one AND two AND..) while learning the bass and melody lines separately.  I find if I don't do this I don't associate the syncopated notes with the ANDs so well.

Sometimes it's good to get used to where the pinches are (like maybe for the 2nd riff, which has 3 pinches), so do your bass and melody lines while counting out loud but play the pinches too.

P.S.  Nice piece by the way.  Will give it a go myself!
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Usually the answer is in the tab itself - make sure you are hitting the bass notes exactly where indicated in the tab and you should start to get the counterpoint working. Alternatively, try just practising the rolling bass on its own for a while before trying to add the melody.
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
     Alternatively, try just practising the rolling bass on its own for a while before trying to add the melody.
    That always worked for me when first learning things like that - may be boring and drive you mental after a while, but just keep playing the bass part by itself until it's crammed firmly into your muscle memory, then adding the rest normally comes remarkably easily.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    break it down into little phrases....learn say 5 notes together, get that down then move to the next
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Although I hate sheet music, for stuff like this and wandering bass lines it is simply the best and really comes into it's own and it knocks that TAB shite out of the park.

Can you not find some sheet music?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    Nice piece.

The thing that opened up this style for me - let's call it travis picking - was a video called something like "Demystifying Alternate Bass" by Happy Traum. Basically it teaches you to get the bass solid first, and then gradually practice adding in different subdivisions of the beat as melody notes on top....and that really is the key here.

Just get that video and work through it. Soon you will hear pieces like this and even if it's still work to get them together, you'll at least know how to tackle them.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I'm playing a lot of acoustic just now - there's a special edition of Guitar Techniques out which I just bought and will be working through (check it out). Bass first and foremost, defo! WHat I usually have trouble with are the insane chord shapes you usually have to play with this sort of stuff. Nice piece!