Yam THR v Black star Id tvp 15 v Peavey Vyper

rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
edited December 2013 in Amps
Due to a total lack of decent music shops down 'ere in w Cornwall I need to ask.
Want an amp that has good clean sound, good classic rock sound and of course a dash of gain for a bit of metal silliness, to annoy the neighbours.

So which is best?
Can either of them do a bit of recording?

Helps guys. Your collective wisdom is sought!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited December 2013
    one assumes in a lovely festive pedantic manner,  you mean a THR ?      :)

if you want a great fun. very mobile little amp that you'll be noodling alone with, your mrs wont mind being in the lounge  and/or recording into a PC/laptop, playing along with backing tracks -  the THR gets my vote.............mainly cos I have one. (THR-C) and I love it as my "fun" amp

If you want to jam with friends - then I guess the TVP is a better bet.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Yes I did mean THR.
    I know there is much goodness on the forum for the The, just wondered about the opposition.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    rolls1392;110309" said:
    Yes I did mean THR.I know there is much goodness on the forum for the The, just wondered about the opposition.
    They're a great band. I liked them when Johnny Marr was on guitar.
  • I'm getting fed up with my crappy typing!!!
  • bertie said:
    one assumes in a lovely festive pedantic manner,  you mean a THR ?      :)

if you want a great fun. very mobile little amp that you'll be noodling alone with, your mrs wont mind being in the lounge  and/or recording into a PC/laptop, playing along with backing tracks -  the THR gets my vote.............mainly cos I have one. (THR-C) and I love it as my "fun" amp

If you want to jam with friends - then I guess the TVP is a better bet.
    This pretty much. In my, limited, experience of them the TVP's don't do as nice a clean sound as the Fender Mustangs do (the most obvious amps missing from the OP's list). Never tried one of those  Peavey's but they are fugly so it would have to be a sweet deal to get me to buy one. Apparently Peavey have some amp launches at NAMM 2014 although I have no idea what.
    Indeed, unless it is for xmas you might be best waiting a while to see what comes up at NAMM/ makes the January sales ( although guitar/ amp sales aren't usually briliant).

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    rolls1392 said:
    I'm getting fed up with my crappy typing!!!
    you're not alone

;)

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • If home practice, the thr probably. It's lovely to look at, too.

The tvp is better when you get up to 60 watts as you get more controls. They do sound amazing though - when I tried it, I thought it was a valve amp with digital effects.
    My first day with my THR. And what a day it's been. I now believe the hype. I can get The Jam, The Smiths, Chili peppers, Hendrix blah blah blah. What a feat of engineering. I can't see me ever wanting anything else for the house. The Fender Mustang it's replacing is great, until you play with this. Its ability to overdrive convincingly far surpasses that of the Mustang. And sound like an overdriven valve amp to boot. I'm chuffed to bits with it. And it's gorgeous looking!
    edited December 2013
    By the way rolls. The cleans are to my ear better on the Mustang (I have the 2) but it doesn't come close to the THR for sheer fun factor. Can't help you with the peavey or blackstar but I had an artisan and it was a disappointment.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Couldn't get on with the Blackstar i.d. in the shop - too many buttons and didn't sound great at low volumes to me.

If you just want to plug in and play, and get a big sound at wife and neighbour friendly levels then the THR is the one to get.

Sorry just read the OP and you want to annoy the neighbours, so maybe one of the others instead.
  • Mind Bomb is a great album

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited December 2013
    Mind Bomb is a great album
    I agree! Oh and the thr rocks
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Vypyrs are great