Purple rain chords

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    What's the best mode/scale to wig out with? It sounds more varied than just pentatonic stuff. Mixolydian?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

If playing in Bb then Gm pentonic  will work well. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    DiscoStu said:
    Here is the original performance which became the version on the album, so look and learn.
    This has been posted on YouTube before but been pulled so enjoy this one while it lasts.

A phenomenal 13 minutes.

Don't know if it's the film/mixing, but there's some really annoying bum notes before the singing
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    What's the best mode/scale to wig out with? It sounds more varied than just pentatonic stuff. Mixolydian?
    Major scale ( Ionian ) Mixolydian won't work as the 5 chord is major.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    The second chord is the one that's in dispute still I think. If it's Gm11 that's a bit of a tricky fingering ....fook me !
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    harpo;1050872" said:
    The second chord is the one that's in dispute still I think. If it's Gm11 that's a bit of a tricky fingering ....fook me !
    Try 2nd finger on the third fret of the sixth string - letting it mute the 5th string, 3rd finger on 3rd fret of the fourth string, little finger on 3rd fret of 3rd string and index finger barring strings two and one at the first fret.
    edited April 2016
    vasselmeyer;1049863" said:
    @bogjon I wasn't convinced by your version of the chord. I am almost certain the first actual chord is is:x10311

I like to imagine that Prince found the opening chord first, thought "that's cool" and wrote a song around it.
    Just watched the video again - she's not playing a root on the 5th string - but it DOES sound like the 4th string is open - she's certainly not fretting it.

So I reckon it's xx0311 and the second chord is 3x0311....

The third chord is a stretch - unless you're Andy Summers (135211) - as is the fourth (x681086).

Quite tricky for something which sounds so relaxed....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited April 2016
    @richardhomer

I think you might be correct (pic below).

Except I can't play the third F2 chord without muting the third string with my 4th finger.

For the F2, I think I'll cheat and barre the 1st fret, play the note on the 5th string with my 2nd finger, the note on the 4th string with my 4th finger whilst muting the note on the 3rd string with my 4th finger.

Edit: See later corrected version, which I've given in a later post. I'm one fret out in the 1st two chord boxes in the picture below. The notes should be on the 3rd fret not the 4th fret.

http://i.imgur.com/nhogMP4.jpg
    It's not a competition.
    edited April 2016
    stratman3142;1051134" said:
    That's exactly as per my second post of the night in this thread.

I'm pretty sure it's spot on.

Been interesting figuring it out. It sounds very simple within the context of the track - but they're really interesting chords.
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    Spot on guys .....thanks
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    stratman3142;1051134" said:
    That's exactly as per my second post of the night in this thread.

I'm pretty sure it's spot on.

Been interesting figuring it out. It sounds very simple within the context of the track - but they're really interesting chords.
    The first two boxes are wrong aren't they?  Should be third fret on the G string and then on the low E string as well? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    EricTheWeary;1051313" said:
    The first two boxes are wrong aren't they?  Should be third fret on the G string and then on the low E string as well? 
    No - I reckon they're right.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    EricTheWeary;1051313" said:
    That's a B in the Bb2 chord in that box as I read it, certainly sounds nicer to me if it's a Bb :bz Although as by the time I get to Eb2 I'm completely bolloxed it's a bit academic :(
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    EricTheWeary;1051330" said:
    richardhomer said:

EricTheWeary;1051313" said:The first two boxes are wrong aren't they?  Should be third fret on the G string and then on the low E string as well? 

That's a B in the Bb2 chord in that box as I read it, certainly sounds nicer to me if it's a Bb :bz Although as by the time I get to Eb2 I'm completely bolloxed it's a bit academic :(
    Sorry - just looked at the boxes more carefully (I viewed them on my phone) - you're right - they show the fourth fret - it should be the third. My apologies - varifocals, 4" phone screens and age are a toxic combination....
    Oops, yes there's an error. I'm one fret out. Should have gone to Specsavers. I'll correct the error tommorrow.
    It's not a competition.
    edited April 2016
    Here's a corrected version. Well spotted @EricTheWeary.

btw @richardhomer worked out the right chords. I just put them in chord boxes. Hopefully correctly this time.

http://i.imgur.com/LqGeXP3.jpg
    It's not a competition.
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    breakstuff;1050092" said:
    This came up in my Youtube feed today if it's any help.Sounds pretty close to me.

This is the most accurate version - the first chord xx0311 was a revelation for me - like a Bb sus2 with an open D (3rd)

Having said that, like Danny, we jammed it out in A on Sat nite for handiness
    Seemed like a good idea.....

I'm not great on theory - but at the risk of pedantry - I believe the F is an Fadd9 and the Eb is an Ebadd9.

Someone who actually knows about these things may wish to correct me....
    edited April 2016
    I'm not great on theory - but at the risk of pedantry - I believe the F is an Fadd9 and the Eb is an Ebadd9.

Someone who actually knows about these things may wish to correct me....
    Yes I think you're correct.

My rule of thumb is to call it a '2' chord if it contains a 2nd instead of a 3rd. As all of these chords have a 3rd, and the 2nd (so to speak) is in the octave above the root I suppose they're strictly add9 chords. But I'm happy to stand corrected.

Shoddy workmanship and a lack of attention to detail on my part :(

It's not a competition.
    stratman3142;1051484" said:
    Yes I think you're correct.

My rule of thumb is to call it a '2' chord if it contains a 2nd instead of a 3rd. As all of these chords have a 3rd, and the 2nd (so to speak) is in the octave above the root I suppose they's strictly add9 chords. But I'm happy to stand corrected.

Shoddy workmanship and a lack of attention to detail on my part :(
    And then there's the question as to what the first chord is called?

The open D is the 3rd in Bb - so as it has a third, does that make it a Bbadd9?

My knowledge of this stuff is definitely not as good as it should be.... :)