New Tube amp- HUM on stand buy, also strong HUM when using FX loop

johnmontanajohnmontana Frets: 41
edited December 2013 in Amps
Hi there,
Is it normal to have a  HUM on stand buy position? When fully turned on, the amp goes a bit quieter than the hum is coming back in few secs....
Also the FX loop have a strong hum noise even when a patch lead connected (no pedals)
Is this stuff common to tube amps or an easy fix  or I should just return the amp?

I am not good in tech stuff so please don't bombard me with all sorts of abbreviations etc...

Cheers!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 522
    What amp is it?
    Sounds like it's new, is it?
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It is a ZubZero 50w head, yes, brand new.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    That doesn't sound right. If it's new, you may want to take it up with the shop, if you're not good with tech stuff yourself.

Are you powering the FX in the loop from the same power supply as the ones in front of the amp? That can cause a bad hum if the supply doesn't have fully isolated outputs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The pedals were battery powered...also tried with just a patch lead... nothing changed, same loud hum noise
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    The pedals were battery powered...also tried with just a patch lead... nothing changed, same loud hum noise
    Definitely faulty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein