Hohner HW-12 hole in side, found in mums loft

What's Hot
So, was searching for some stuff in my mums loft and came across my old 12 string. Think I bought it for £180 when I was 14 so should be around 1998

Unfortunately my friend dropped a drawer from over head height onto it and caused that giant hole

So basically it's been in the loft ever since

But... I just picked it up and well... The neck feels really nice to be honest, the actions great and it's fairly resonate

Which has confused me greatly. I thought it was junk

Now I'm thinking I should clean it up and get 12 strings back on it for home recording purposes at least. Always handy to have different sounds

Is there anything I can do on the cheap about that hole?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    thermionic;1057262" said:
    Ha!! Now there's a shout!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    ^ That - you'll find a second hand preamp on Ebay fairly easily. The only problem is going to be getting one which fits the curve of the shoulder well - which is fairly critial, it's not a simple curve at that point - best to spend time doing some research on other models of guitar that have large preamps exactly in that position.

I'll have a look in my box of old spares and see if there's anything which will do.

Alternatively, just tape an old set list over it, like lots of pros do :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnonguitarjohnonguitar Frets: 1243
    ICBM;1057752" said:
    ^ That - you'll find a second hand preamp on Ebay fairly easily. The only problem is going to be getting one which fits the curve of the shoulder well - which is fairly critial, it's not a simple curve at that point - best to spend time doing some research on other models of guitar that have large preamps exactly in that position.

I'll have a look in my box of old spares and see if there's anything which will do.

Alternatively, just tape an old set list over it, like lots of pros do :).
    Haha most of my set lists are to embarrassing to get taped anywhere!

Cheers, I'll have a look, if you come across anything give me a shout!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Put a retractable microphone in it, like Jack Whites Gretsch.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    edited May 2016
    Possible good news: I have a dead Shadow P7 which looks like it will fit exactly.

The preamp section is dead, but the mounting frame I have - all P7s are the same, they slot into different frames - has the right compound curve to fit the shoulder of a Dreadnought just there.

So if you can find one the same it should fit, or if you get any other version of the P7 I can send you the frame.

It's like this but with a more steeply curved frame -

- and it would need to fit 'backwards' with the battery holder at the top.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein