EKO Ranger 12....thoughts?

What's Hot
WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
I thought that I would see how I could add to my sound and decided to have a dabble with a twelve string to see what came out. 

I pulled the trigger on an EKO Ranger 12 in a hardcase for a cheap price and am looking forward to getting my mitts on it. 

I have never owned a twelve string before but what sort of stuff can be done with one? Fingerpicking? Slide? 

What's possible? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Yes, you can do fingerpicking and slide on a twelve string. You may spend much of the rest of your life tuning though........:D
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    On an EKO 12 strung, slide might be your only option!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    The last word in Campfire guitars.....they're great.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Wolfetone said:
    I thought that I would see how I could add to my sound and decided to have a dabble with a twelve string to see what came out. 

I pulled the trigger on an EKO Ranger 12 in a hardcase for a cheap price and am looking forward to getting my mitts on it. 

I have never owned a twelve string before but what sort of stuff can be done with one? Fingerpicking? Slide? 

What's possible? 
    http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Product News/Guitar/jan09/guitar-boat-josh-pyke-970-80.jpg

:)

Is it an old one, or a reissue? I haven't seen a reissue yet, but I've owned a couple of old ones.

The old ones are built like a barn, but sound surprisingly good. They're also the Busker's Friend because they're almost immune to rain, cold, damage and other outdoor hazards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited May 2016

ICBM said:
    Wolfetone said:

What's possible? 
    http://cdn.mos.musicradar.com/images/Product News/Guitar/jan09/guitar-boat-josh-pyke-970-80.jpg

:)

Is it an old one, or a reissue? I haven't seen a reissue yet, but I've owned a couple of old ones.

The old ones are built like a barn, but sound surprisingly good. They're also the Busker's Friend because they're almost immune to rain, cold, damage and other outdoor hazards.
    It's Vintage reissue with a zero fret. It cost me £103 in a hardcase so it wasn't too shabby a bargain.

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but a friend of mine has an old Ranger 12 string which is missing some bridge pins. Apparently they are a fair bit bigger than the standard size pins and he's struggling to find some. Any ideas as to a source?
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Good enough for Mike Rutherford !!!!!

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    @lasermonkey, you might get something suitable from www.pinzuk.com
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    edited June 2016
    Ive got my dads EKO 12 string here he gave me, hes had it since the 60's. Needs a bit of tlc but sounds great!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    That was one of my first learner guitars and I kept it longer than any of the others.
    There's not much to dislike about them. Built like tanks, nice neck and action, they somehow manage to sound great despite being overbuilt.
    I ended up putting a pickup on it which made it sound even better.
    I wouldn't mind having another one for sentimental reasons.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Great guitars. Record well, look good, decent sound. If its well setup itll be alright playability wise, good for the fingers at least. Even better they can still be played after being on the said campfire...

Get it bought :)

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I think they sound great!
    You can shim the neck and level the frets to get absurdly low actions.
    However these guitars NEED big strings as they are built like the brick outhouse and you need the big strings to get the top to ring.

Really balanced tone for recording too.

But heavy!!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.