Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best guitar song of all time

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3901
edited December 2013 in Music
I don't think we've had this? Apologies if we have. No messing around. First choice. Mine:

Jimi Hendrix - Little wing
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Neil Young - "Fuckin' Up".
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Neil young "cortez the killer"
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3901
    Anyone know where I can find any Neil Young guitar song recommendations round here?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing"

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Prince "Purple Rain"
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Metallica Fade to Black.

Although Little wing is also a good call.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    just to be more recent,

John Mayer, Slow Dancing in a burning room

Can I check? I've assumed we're going for songs built around the guitar rather than the normal opposite situation, i.e. a famous song with optional guitar stuck on top of it, which is the category I think Purple Rain is in. 

Can I check? I've assumed we're going for songs built around the guitar rather than the normal opposite situation, i.e. a famous song with optional guitar stuck on top of it, which is the category I think Purple Rain is in. 

Purple Rain does (IIRC) have a fantastic guitar solo on it. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:

that's my question, there's lots of songs that have a great solo, are we including those? Or just songs where the song could not exist without the guitar part, since it's built around it, which is something I'd like to explore

I listened to Purple rain before posting, and the first section is just gentle arpeggios with a load of chorus, which could be replaced with keyboards without affecting the song at all
    mike_l said:

that's my question, there's lots of songs that have a great solo, are we including those? Or just songs where the song could not exist without the guitar part, since it's built around it, which is something I'd like to explore

I listened to Purple rain before posting, and the first section is just gentle arpeggios with a load of chorus, which could be replaced with keyboards without affecting the song at all

I'd say it's legit as it was originally played on guitar.

Possibly more as it could be played on a different instrument without changing the song.

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    I will go for For The Love Of God by Monsieur Vai.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited December 2013
    viz said:
    I will go for For The Love Of God by Monsieur Vai.
    is it a song?
    Certainly completely excellent though
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    "best guitar song" not defined enough. Cannot compute.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    Hotel california?
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Lenny - SRV
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Or just songs where the song could not exist without the guitar part, since it's built around it, which is something I'd like to explore
    All songs can exist without the guitar part, even those that are built around it. If a piece of music has a recognisable chord structure and melody then you can play it on any instrument. (Or instruments, if they're monophonic ones - eg most classical ones.)

I picked Cinnamon Girl because it perfectly illustrates what an electric guitar is really about in terms of attitude and feeling rather than technique or note choice, for me.

If there truly are songs that could not be played on any other instrument than a guitar then they're not very good songs because the technique or the sound has become more important than the song.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Any Neil Young, although Cinnamon Girl is a great shout with its multi-tapping, layered guitar solo. In Phrygian, if I'm not mistaken.

;)
  • Neil Young - A Man Needs A Maid.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM;111720" said:
    ToneControl said:Or just songs where the song could not exist without the guitar part, since it's built around it, which is something I'd like to explore

I picked Cinnamon Girl because it perfectly illustrates what an electric guitar is really about in terms of attitude and feeling rather than technique or note choice, for me.

I got that. I think that reasoning would also take me to several Dick Dale numbers for my possible contribution, although the lack of lyrics might get them discounted here. So, I am going to suggest Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols. Think that ticks all the boxes.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom