Just been to see a band.

What's Hot
A bit odd watching our drummer's last gig with his old band. They were pretty good, but I only recognised two songs, and one of them was the worst rendition of "Creep" I've ever heard in my life.

Hopefully they'll be light at the end of the tunnel next year when we get going again with him proper.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Creep shouldn't be played by any band that's not a Uni aged band (you all know what I mean).

Our singer stated he wanted to do Touch Too Much. I said "Don't be fckn stupid, you're 52 ye fckn tool". Horses for courses. Anyway, Beating Around The Bush is the one he should be looking at.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24301
    Bollocks.... we used to do a stunning version of Creep, with shit-hot harmonies (provided by me).  I always had difficulty getting the initial loud stabs right though (00:58 in the clip)... mine always sounded not staccato enough.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    Not bollocks at all. Some songs are meant for the yoof. That's one of them. Regardless of the age of the band members when it was recorded. It's an 'anxious yoof' track.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tho I'm sure it was stunning in your head......

I'm shitting ye   ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24301
    Nooooo.... it's not an 'anxious yoof' track when it's sung by a gang of middle aged perverts who definitely look the part.  I'd go so far as to say it shouldn't be sung by good looking young people !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    'Middle age perverts who definitely look the part' indicates scruffy unwashed fuckers.  ;)

It's a toss track for young 'uns. A good un mind you, but in context. It'd be like my lot covering Jedward.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited December 2013
    We used to do a half decent version of "Creep" with our last singer. Unfortunately I only have a rehearsal recording, we never did a studio job, but it love it and so did the punters.

EDIT - if anyone's interested, I'll see if I can find find the recording.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    My favourite gig venue. Creep video was shot upstairs in the old Oxford Zodiac.

The song bores the pants off me though. I always groan when I hear a band covering it. It's usually followed by Girl from Mars by Ash or some shit.
  • I've only played Creep with one band, in my last year at school (and a few reunion gigs over the following 3 or 4 years) - that was a year or two after it was released. Oddly three out of five of the band had never heard it, and we decided to try to play it without listening at all (ie just the other two teaching us how it went). When I finally heard it a few years later, I was quite surprised by how close we got :)

But playing it now? No. Had one guy suggest it a while back for a cover...nope. Nope nope nope. That'd just be exactly what it'd look like - 5 guys in their mid-thirties wishing they were teenagers again.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Our singer wanted us to cover creep.  I refused.

radiohead don't do even play creep, and neither should you!

Found it. If it sounds like it was recorded in an aircraft hanger, it pretty much was, the place we were rehearsing was a massive, empty hall. We gaffa taped some mics on the gear, and did it. There's no fancy mixing or anything, so it's not a professional job. I like it, but have to confess none us are Uni students, by a long stretch of the imagination!

I've heard various local bands cover the song over the years, with varying degrees of success. Most, like us, changed it around a bit from the original to suit, and I still think it's a very good song, despite not really liking Radiohead much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gx4p7mc5mjidxnj/Creep%20-%20Live%20Rough%20Mix.mp3

• I was the youngest guy depping in a band a while back, and they played teenage kicks !!!

I`m wrong side of 50 !

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    So hard to beat though
  • the worst rendition of "Creep" I've ever heard in my life.

You clearly have not heard the time Mark Owen covered it.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Mate, you had to have been there. It was really bad. Wrong key, the works.