Own the stage FGS!!!

What's Hot
Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
in Live tFB Trader
Just had a great music festival here in Kirriemuir, celebrating all things AC/DC and Bon Scott since he was born here. lots of bands all playing different stuff etc happens every year so if you are an AC/DC fan book a trip to Scotland next year!

Anyway saw two bands play where I really wanted to throw a tomato, one metal band the music was really good, tight etc but the singer oh dear, no passion, hand in pocket, out of tune, no energy. Musicians practice their instruments daily, I got the feeling the only time this guy sang was at weekly band practice. he was young so maybe lacked the confidence, but his band members were spot on.

Another hard rock band the singer was great, out of tune a bit but he owned the stage so forgiven, but the guitarists just played like they were practicing in their rooms, dull

If you play in an uptempo original band you really have to set out to own the stage and entertain! if one guy is putting his heart into it and you are not it is you that looks like the plonka, if you are in a performing band you need to learn some stage craft, get a practice room with a big mirror, if you don't like what you see will anybody else.

Rant over

The AC/DC cover band and I saw on Friday night was bloody brilliant , and I am not a huge AC/DC fan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Couldn't agree more. You're having fun up there, the least you can do is looking like you're enjoying yourself.

I once read a derisory review of an old band of mine that added "and a note to Mr Bass Player, flailing around like a maniac on stage does not equal passion". Frankly, given that he was writing a review for a short lived and fairly dreadful blog, and we'd sold out a 600 cap room for a headline show, I wasn't all that arsed. My MySpace profile (christ, that dates it!) proudly bore the slogan "All Flail, No Passion" for some time afterwards.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    I had a review once in some 'cool indie fanzine' type thing that said something along the lines of 'Dances around the stage like an embarrassing uncle at a wedding'. 

I was pulling my best rock n' roll moves. 

It's called 'show business' for a reason, you little NME worshiping penis. ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited May 2016
    My mates play in Volts - they put on a great show :p Craig is the "Angus" He does own the stage! He also jumps down and gets a conga going with the crowd lol
    This was the first song - place was packed by the end

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    I played up in Kirrie with my band on the Saturday afternoon in one of the boozers, good fun and a great crowd into the bargain. I never really saw any of the main stage stuff but a few friends had said some of the main stage originals bands were a bit on the dull side.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    @Vaiai Volts have played the festival before, I am sure they would have rocked the crowd, dressing up is all part of the fun.

@stagestruck, I was perhaps been a bit too judgemental above, I didn't think the music was dull, but it needed some stage craft and confidence to make it believable and entertaining. Maybe there is no one teaching this stuff, maybe that's where having a good manager comes into play.

• StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Maybe I was unfair also, more of a case of going by reports from guys who were probably there to listen to Highway To Hell for the 10th time that day!  :))
    I do agree about many bands who don't engage the audience or put on a show as they should. I guess at some point in the past showmanship fell by the wayside. I suppose for an originals band, they may not perforn to an audience that often and it might only be 20-30 minute slots they get a chance to play. It's tough to learn to engage a crowd under those circumstances I suppose!