Nylon strung 'hybrid' acoustic guitars

Anyone using one of these guitars? Not the wide fingerboard classical type guitar....but this new breed (to me anyway) of classical meets more player friendly cutaway acoustic. Narrower fingerboards....adjustable necks....slimmer profile necks....varying scalelengths. Or can I just tie nylon strings onto the end loops cut off old electric strings and string one of my acoustic guitars with nylon?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited May 2016
    Yes - I have a Taylor NS32ce (a version of which is still available, though It's now called 312ce-n).

The neck is 48mm, has a slightly cambered fingerboard and is a joy to play - the neck is really well shaped. Much less of a handful that a normal classical.

The bridge is a variation of the standard 'tie on' classical - but is easy enough once you get used to it.

Not a cheap option but very, very good.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Furch do a couple of variants GN2 and Gn4 might be worth checking out, also Cordoba have a whole raft of crossover type classicals.

There's a Yamaha NCX 1200R on eBay for £600.00 at the mo - but that has a normal nut and fingerboard.
  • The Taylor is way over my budget unfortunately. I've had my eye on Cordobas online but can't find anyone local to me who would let me try a few. Never heard of Furch but will do a search on them. Food for thought though chaps. Thanks.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    Takamine P3FCN? Around £1k new I think...
  • Whitecat said:
    Takamine P3FCN? Around £1k new I think...
    Another nice guitar. A thousand sovs is around 600 over my budget. Had better stick with steel strung.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    A mate recently picked up a Line 6 slim bodied nylon strung model with a cut away for £300 on eBay sounds really good plugged in and has a great feel. Sorry don't know the model but very impressed.
  • JCA2550 said:
    A mate recently picked up a Line 6 slim bodied nylon strung model with a cut away for £300 on eBay sounds really good plugged in and has a great feel. Sorry don't know the model but very impressed.
    I'm a bit wary of buying on the bay (guitars anyway). I've heard so many stories of peeps having probs with sellers/couriers. I don't doubt that there will be good guitars on there at honest prices. Maybe I should take the plunge and make an offer or two.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    made my own, latin flamenco fusion in maple / spruce.
    very slightly radius to the f/board and narrower, slimmer, more rounded neck, not as wide s/spacing - basically all slightly modified to my own taste being a steel string player flat top player.
    Fish glue and french polish throughout.
    Heres a friend playing it.
    http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii166/uilleann49/guitarfull.jpg

• I'm impressed. Don't suppose you would make something similar for another guitarist....or is it a one off private project?