Helix vs Kemper vs Axe FX - My thoughts...

What's Hot
FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1428
edited May 2016 in Other Reviews
So after being an owner of a Kemper for the last few years I recently decided to give the Helix a try.

While attempting to offload said Kemper I got offered a straight trade for an Axe FX 2 (oops, though I have owned and gigged one ages ago.) so here's a brief overview of my thoughts.

Kemper -
Arguably the best modelling of the lot. Certainly sounds damn close when profiling a real amp.
Easy to use interface, easy to tweak and set up patches.
Doesn't play very nicely with valve amps, if you're planning to use it as a preamp this is the weakest of the lot, even with preamp profiles. 
Effects are hit and miss, modulation is pretty good, delay is great sounding but very limited. Drives are shit.

Axe Fx 2 -
Also sounds great for amp tones. Definitely has its own thing going, is darker and more polished overall which isn't a good or bad thing, personal preference.
Sounds great with valve amps, especially as a preamp. If you want a preamp/power amp setup this is the one.
Effects are amazing, BUT... They can be a faff. Simple effects are easy enough but more complicated stuff requires creative use of various different block and routing which arguably makes it the most powerful and also the most awkward.
The interface is horrific, and I know how to use it just fine. It's just a pain and unintuitive, I can see how it can be learnt but after using the other two... Christ it's bad. Axe edit sort of makes up for this but it's not ideal.

Helix -
So far I'm still of the opinion that the modelling is the weakest of the lot. It certainly improves with IR's added, stock cabs are not my thing at all. A bonus is it somehow sounds rawer and more in your face than the others which I do like. Especially noticeable on the Recto model.
Interface is amazing, I didn't think it would matter so much but it really is a joy to use and a snip if you need to change anything mid gig.
Effects are great as well. Less complex than the Axe FX but great I their own way. More akin to a nice collection of stomp boxes rather than a studio rack processer. Delays especially are impressive, the analogue stuff is the best out of all three units.
It works amazingly well with an amp too, not so great as a preamp but as a pedalboard it's the best multi effects I've ever heard, properly transparent and the drives are great.
Lag between presets is awful, making it pretty much unusable in this way for me. You can work around it by having different tones in one patch but still, it's not ideal.

There you go, any questions fire away!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    That's a very useful comparison. How would you rate each of them for home use, small gigs (pub), large gigs, and recording?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Also worth bearing in mind the relative costs of the units concerned, the Helix is a lot cheaper and better vfm imho
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Recording wise Kemper is best for amp tones, you've essentially got professionally mic'd amps at your disposal wherever you are. 

Small gigs the Helix is best, it's so easy to use and easy to edit. Plus it works a treat with a valve amp if required.

Large gigs you can take your pick, on my last gig I used a real amp alongside the Helix direct, sounded massive. But assuming you've got a good PA and sound engineer and monitoring they're all viable options. 
  • sweepy said:
    Also worth bearing in mind the relative costs of the units concerned, the Helix is a lot cheaper and better vfm imho
    This is true, with the Helix you're also getting the best controller in the business for way cheaper. The other controllers are alright but too expensive for what they are, with the Fractal controller being a particular p**s take price wise.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Blimey....im only just on the Kemper...the Helix looks cool, but I need to get the KPA out my system first 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    sweepy;1062486" said:
    If you compare the ax8 instead of the axefx the price is closer.
    I don't know about full axefx version but the ax8 is pretty easy to program imo. I routinely tweak settings or make a new preset at rehearsals and it's fairly straight forward.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28099
    Isn't the AX8 restricted to only 8 effects per patch?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    edited May 2016
    I had the Axe FX II XL and I recently sold it and I'm looking for a Kemper.

The Axe was great but like you say, was a LOT of faff.
    It pretty much needs to be edited using the software as its a massive ball ache using the menu systems on the axe unit itself.

There's so many different options which is nearly too much in my opinion. I kind of want the 'modelled' amp to react like a normal amp, so basically just have the controls that the real amps have and for them to react like they do.

I suppose its just me being simple about it all, but i think there's nearly too much to tinker with on the Axe FX. The kemper tends to get a better sound quicker.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Some of us like tinkering, understanding what the different controls do to the sound, and getting detailed control. For example, my wah settings are tuned to the frequency response of the amp and guitar pickups. There is a learning curve, but once you've learned it then it's not too difficult.

Having said that, if I were buying now I'd have a hard choice between the Helix for cheapness and ease of use, and the Ax8 for sound quality. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited May 2016
    I prefer the AFX.  I actually find the interface very intuitive - and its a creative tool rather than a reproductive tool that the kemper is. I have added a RAC12 though for live use - real knobs,,,,

Regards the Fractal floor board - I dont think its a piss take price wise TBH.  The closest thing to it when it came out was a rocktron all Access, which had the same amount of switches but was less capable from a MIDI POV - and it was nearly twice the price of the MFC.  It was a positive bargin at the time.  I appreciate things move on - and its no longer the best on the market.  That said, the ideal replacement is nearly £1800 FFS.  Makes the £600 or so for he MFC cheap again.

I also find the AFX better for recording than the Kemper - But thats because I like to design a sound for a track - not rely on finding a pro recorded profile that will do.

Regards too many options - id rather have them and not use them (which I dont in the main) than not have them and need them.

Ultimately horses for courses.  Everyone is different.  It take a kemper if I couldnt have my AFX, and the floor control side of the helix is very nice.