Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Heads - how heavy is too heavy?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    You're making the classic mistake of thinking that the tone you like in the comfort of your own home will translate to a Pub gig! It won't!

So get the easiest nearest equivalent... pissed-up party-going punters have no idea of tone...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    It should be ruled out though. Because it sounds like arse.

It does not sound like a Recto.
    That is true… although it's still bigger-sounding than most of the other lunchbox amps. (I also thought quite harsh when pushed, but most of the others go mushy.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 36 would be an option.

Far smaller than it looks in pics, comes with a gigbag, weighs 7.7KG, loud enough, sounds good.

@kebabkid has one, I liked it when I tried his.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Orange Micro Terror. Stick it in your pocket, and get a small cab.

• AD30's are awesome, get one and one of these:

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Cheers @dindude and the Tubemeister is a cracking amp. 3 very useable channels, power scaling too and a speaker-emulated out so you could even go direct to PA without the need for a cab. If you check out Rob Marcello's demo on YT, he compares the speaker-emulated out to the sound out of the cab.
    The Mini Rectifier is also great and isn't a one trick pony i.e.for heavy styles. Good gain range and decent clean mode. The Transatlantic amps are good too and used prices are between £5-600
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    23kg is too heavy.  I had a Blackstar Series One 100 that I lugged about for a while - all the weight was at one end too, making it awkward as well as heavy.
  • My Ceriatone OTS Bluesmaster head is similar - 25/6 kilos with all the weight at one side... don't care though - well worth the carry, along with a Zilla mini modern & EVM12L
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Orange Micro Terror. Stick it in your pocket, and get a small cab.

EDIT: It weighs less than 2 lbs.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Sadly I really hated the Micro Terror. I'd honestly rather DI an overdrive pedal if I needed a pocket-size backup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Mesa Boogie TA30 head, 6kg, 30watts, loud and sounds great. Not cheap unless you find a deal (which I did)
  • seriously considering buying a cheap car to lug around gear to gigs.. i don't really want something what's function over a decent tone..
  • It's not the cost of the car, it's the costs of keeping it on the road that hurts most.

Besides a car is substantially heavier, and definitely won't fit in your pocket
    ;)