Vocal FX

bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
Just wondering what Vocal Fx you use?

I've always just used the built in Reverb on the Pa but was wondering what the alternatives are. 

Just started a new 3 Piece indie/rock covers band and could do with thickening up my vocals a bit. Don't have any decent backing vocals so would like to get my vocals to sound a bit fuller if that makes sense.Currently using a bit of delay in rehearsals which seems to do the trick.

Are there are cheapish pedal options for this?

Any info much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    edited May 2016
    I use a BOSS VE-20 Vocal Performer. It's a Swiss Army Knife for vocal effects. It does reverb, delay, compression and harmonies amongst other things. It's in stompbox format and is pretty simple to use. It's done 100+ gigs flawlessly.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Our singer has a modded Boss delay (DD3 I think) that he uses sometimes as he wasn't using it for guitar anymore, just fitted with XLR sockets. He seems to forget it or over use it but as a relatively cheap occasional effect (for that monster truck rally PA announcement type thing) it's fine. I know I've seen a pedal that gives a megaphone type effect, although surely you could just use a megaphone!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24199
    TC Helicon

Mic Mechanic if I'm playing with others who can also sing

Harmony Singer if it's just me and a guitar.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Our singer has a TC Helicon - it sounds pretty good. When it's working properly… this is the second one. Even this one seems to cause him quite a lot of bother, but I don't know for sure that it's not user error.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    One of our singers was looking at a helicon but I thought it was a cheat as there are two singers and they already do great harmonies!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Short delays or slapback work pretty well
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Doogie White is selling a meekbox cheap if you want to go rack mount :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I have and use a TC Helicon Voicelive 2 (I have a Voicelive 3 as well which has more FX than Star Wars! Bit of overkill for what I need but fun nonetheless). I think I use the vocal harmony for part of one song in my set. The rest of the time I use it for the Compression and 'tone-shaping' features. I have had many of the Helicon products (VoiceTone Create XT, VoiceTone Harmony G XT, VoiceTone Synth, Harmony Singer, Mic Mechanic and some of the Single pedals) and while I have for convenience sakes downsized and upgraded to the VoiceLive 2, the tones and features that are most useful are available on the 'cheaper' models. I have had the chance to work with the Boss VE-20 and have found that to be of a comparable standard to the Helicon products, but I prefer the aesthetics and have experience with the Helicon products so have stuck with them.

Most of the time I put the Voicelive pedals I have, on the floor at an open mic I run, so that the tone of the mic is nicer (to my ears), people can use the built in guitar tuner, and if necessary they can use the harmony/effects if they want to. I must say that used sparingly the effects are great... over-use is never a good thing.

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Thanks guys,

Will check out your suggestions. The Boss unit looks like it may be useful and I have used the same effects in my BR800 .
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Our singer uses a Digitech Vocalist 4. It's excellent
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Our singer had a Digitech Vocalist Live 3 but it died a few weeks ago and has been replaced by a TC Helicon (the small two button one) which seems just as good.
  • There is a secondhand boss be-20 @ richtonemusic.com for £139.