Celestion Neo Creamback - Rambler?

What's Hot
WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 166
edited May 2016 in Amps
Anyone tried the new neodymium Creamback? Thinking of changing speaker in my Rambler and have previously owned a Two Rock Creamback cab, which I really liked. Could do with reducing the weight of the amp a bit as I'm lugging it around a lot.

Does the Neo sound the same as the regular Creamback? My previous experience of Neo speakers has been that they are a bit weak and spongey sounding, but apparently they've sorted that out now!? Reckon it would sound nice in the Rambler? 

Or maybe the G12 Century would be a better match for the Rambler?? Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yes, I have one and it's excellent. I've not swapped it in and out with any of my regular Creambacks so haven't directly a/b'd them, but as far as I can tell they sound the same.
    Couldn't vouch for its suitability in the Rambler though - wouldn't an 'American' voiced speaker be more appropriate?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 166
    simonk said:
    Yes, I have one and it's excellent. I've not swapped it in and out with any of my regular Creambacks so haven't directly a/b'd them, but as far as I can tell they sound the same.
    Couldn't vouch for its suitability in the Rambler though - wouldn't an 'American' voiced speaker be more appropriate?
    maybe yeah... i played a tone king metropolitan through a creamback for a bit and it killed though! just looking for a nice bluesy vintage voiced speaker that is lighter and though this one might do it! glad you like yours.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    simonk said:
    maybe yeah... i played a tone king metropolitan through a creamback for a bit and it killed though! just looking for a nice bluesy vintage voiced speaker that is lighter and though this one might do it! glad you like yours.
    Probably worth a punt then - I doubt you'd lose much if you ended up flipping it.
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    I've been wondering about this one too. I have a Jensen Neo Tornado in a Deluxe Reverb. That is definitely in the "American" mould and a great speaker, but some more mids might not go amiss!

_Tom
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 503
    FWIW I had a Eminence lil Texas in my redplate, swapped it our recently for a Red Fang Alnico. Net result, heavier amp, but damned if I can spot any tonal difference. I really rated my neo speaker, and will prob go back to it shortly
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited May 2016
    THE best Rambler speaker I have personally found is the Elsinore... 

@WillEdmunds - What's in your amp now mate ?
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    @photek and I had this conversation at the weekend. I'd love to try some out in an A/B test.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    THE best Rambler speaker I have personally found is the Elsinore... 

@WillEdmunds - What's in your amp now mate ?
    It's got the Red Coat Wizard at the moment. Would really like to hear the Elsinore too. I'm lugging my Rambler about so much though that making it a little lighter would be great if possible! I do like the Creamback thing too - might add a bit of warmth to the amp...
    telehack said:
    I've been wondering about this one too. I have a Jensen Neo Tornado in a Deluxe Reverb. That is definitely in the "American" mould and a great speaker, but some more mids might not go amiss!

_Tom
    Sounds like another good speaker option, cheers!
    FWIW I had a Eminence lil Texas in my redplate, swapped it our recently for a Red Fang Alnico. Net result, heavier amp, but damned if I can spot any tonal difference. I really rated my neo speaker, and will prob go back to it shortly
    Again, another good option!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    i got a spare Elsinore here if you want to try it.....its just been reconed by wembley speakers
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    edited May 2016
    The neo creambacks are superb. Not fully bedded in yet and I only compared them back to back with the 75w creambacks in a different cab so not particularly scientific. Neos were a bit lighter sounding, a bit less thud and a quicker response but definitely in the same family. Woody, vintage flavoured and definitely not obviously neo!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    photek said:
    The neo creambacks are superb. Not fully bedded in yet and I only compared them back to back with the 75w creambacks in a different cab so not particularly scientific. Neos were a bit lighter sounding, a bit less thud and a quicker response but definitely in the same family. Woody, vintage flavoured and definitely not obviously neo!
    thanks for the info! 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    Mate, just buy @mgaw Elsinore. Hugely different than the Red Wizard
    mgaw said:
    i got a spare Elsinore here if you want to try it.....its just been reconed by wembley speakers
    Sounds interesting. Why the re-cone? Can you PM me a price for it?
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    pm sent
    Finally got around to doing this and it sounds great with the Neo Creamback in it! It's also made a very heavy amp into an averagely heavy one! 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    I put a Creamback M in my Rambler and its nice but still not broken in. I tried to fit an EMI Red Fang which I think would be an excellent match but it wouldn't fit Touching one of the pre-amp valves.

hywelg said:
    I put a Creamback M in my Rambler and its nice but still not broken in. I tried to fit an EMI Red Fang which I think would be an excellent match but it wouldn't fit Touching one of the pre-amp valves.

Cool. I'm surprised at how good the Neo sounds. Have never liked other neo speakers in the past, but they do seem to have made a good one!
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    mgaw said:
    Sounds interesting. Why the re-cone? Can you PM me a price for it?
    Yep, why the recone?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/