ACS Pro 17's

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395

So Ive just nipped out on lunch to get some impressions taken for some custom ear plugs. What a strange experience that was!

I looked back over a few older blogs on here and saw that most people recommended the ACS and was just wondering how you guys were getting on with them after a decent amount of usage?

Ive already ordered them now so I could do with hearing good things from you guys (no pun intended!) 

How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    It's a strange experience indeed! I've had mine quite a few years now and they're not quite as comfy as the once were, so I guess my ears have changed shape a little. They do the job well still although we've recently been trying to get stage volumes down sufficiently to not need them.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    ACS earplugs are fine- but be careful with their IEM's.
    They are quite fragile, apparently.

I have Read Audio plugs and IEM's- very happy with them.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I like them, but when I lost one they weren't able to recreate it accurately which I was disappointed about as my understanding was that once they've got your impression they've got it forever.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Cirrus said:
    I like them, but when I lost one they weren't able to recreate it accurately which I was disappointed about as my understanding was that once they've got your impression they've got it forever.
    Some companies do, some don't.
    Read Audio 3D print their plugs so you can, in theory, go back within 4 years and get a duplicate set that fit the same.

After a few years though your body changes enough so that a new fitting is required.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    Cirrus said:
    I lost mine for a couple of weeks. ACS made me a second pair from the original scan. They fit perfectly. I did ask about having new moulds made, and was told that was only necessary after five years or so
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    I have the 25s and I would never ever gig without them or go to a gig without them. Some people say 25 is too much and 17 is OK. However, I have got used to them and know how to work around the slight difference in frequencies you get with the attenuation.

They're the best bit of kit I have ever bought. Guitars, pedals and amps come and go but your hearing is irreplaceable. With the ACSs I can play as often and as loud as I need to without damaging myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    I went for the 17's as I thought they were the ones that flatten all frequencies equally? So effectively you're hearing "the same" mix only quieter.
    Is that the case?

Or is it that the other ones just attenuate more? Either way I'm actually looking forward to receiving them. Last few practices have gona from uncomfortable to quite painful last week and we're not even really that loud! Hoping these will go some way to making practices enjoyable again!
    How very rock and roll
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    Whatever people say about the attenuation being flat, the frequencies DO change slightly. If you have anything in your ears, it changes how you hear them but these are the best pasive plugs I have found and WAY better than the expanding fom plugs or the generic plugs you can get. However, once you've soundchecked and are comfortable with your tone, you can stick them in. Just don't be tempted to turn around and mess with the tone controls as you'll mess up what other people are hearing. You get used to it in a few minutes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    vasselmeyer;1067985" said:
    Whatever people say about the attenuation being flat, the frequencies DO change slightly. If you have anything in your ears, it changes how you hear them but these are the best pasive plugs I have found and WAY better than the expanding fom plugs or the generic plugs you can get. However, once you've soundchecked and are comfortable with your tone, you can stick them in. Just don't be tempted to turn around and mess with the tone controls as you'll mess up what other people are hearing. You get used to it in a few minutes.
    Good to know. Thank you
    How very rock and roll
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited May 2016
    I've had mine for years (I suppose I should technically get new impressions taken).

I've worn them for every rehearsal, ever gig I've played, and ever gig I've been to since. 

One of the best bits of kit I've ever bought. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    17s had them for two years would buy again if I lost em.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    I need to get a second pair to keep in the car as I'm gutted of ever attending a gig and I've forgotten them.

My impressions were done with my jaw tightly shut but I laugh a lot (lol) and find it opens up a little when I do that, letting more sound in. So next time I'll make sure and move my jaw around when getting impressions.

I'd never be without them.
    We are LOUD and I keep telling one of our singers to get some lest she have problems in future.