EHX Magnum 44 power amp pedal thingy.

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23926
Are they any good?

I was looking at tiny power amps for use at the kids orchestra I play with and the idea of having that on a tiny pedal board with a preamp pedal really appeals.

What does the collective think about them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Shouty sounding without much low end at higher volumes. They are loud enough but they don't really sound great IMO. Some have had reliability issues but mine was ok. I sold it to someone on here, possibly @fiftyshadesofjay ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23926
    What about with a really good pedal preamp unit - like the Sansamp GT2 or maybe an AMT R2 in front?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Mine was great, until it went bang at a rehearsal, followed by a strong burning smell from the PSU.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Use mine with an AMT ss-11a in front and it sounds really good, plenty loud enough and a lot of headroom. Bought it as a backup and used it loads as a main amp as. Like it so much. Never had a single issue with it.
    What about with a really good pedal preamp unit - like the Sansamp GT2 or maybe an AMT R2 in front?
    I tried it with a Blackstar HT Dual and a line 6 HD500x. When I got the Matrix GT1000FX the difference was noticeable. But I like low end thump and to get low end at higher volume you need more headroom than 40watts SS. As a make louder pedal it does what it needs to and the available volume is enough to play with a loud rock band if you've got a decent efficient cab.
    So for home use and playing with woodwind instruments it sounds perfect!
  • FiftyshadesofjayFiftyshadesofjay Frets: 1427
    edited May 2016
    Shouty sounding without much low end at higher volumes. They are loud enough but they don't really sound great IMO. Some have had reliability issues but mine was ok. I sold it to someone on here, possibly @fiftyshadesofjay ?
    Yep I've since moved it on as I had the same issue. Set up all my tones at home and it sounded great, cranked it at rehearsal and it sounded awful. Zero low end.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    They do sound pretty bad, and one I had just made motorboating sounds and had to be returned. I have one now which I test every now and then but it just lives in my gigging case as an emergency backup.
    Does anyone else make anything similar that is more reliable?
    Anyone got the AMT Tubecake? 

It's a lot lower power, but I'm only going to be competing with woodwind instruments!
    Found this as well.

1.2lb !

Quite a bit more expensive at £315 on Thomann but still interesting.
    edited May 2016
    The ISP Stealth sounds rubbish, I tried one, the magnum 44 is loads better. I would imagine the tube cake would be pretty loud although never tried one. I know here are people who have had bad experiences with the Magnum, but there are probably 10,000 that haven't had an issue, including me

. Buy it from Thomann or DV and you get a 3 year warranty too

I'm also thinking about velcroing one into the back of my Helix rack. Would save me from having to plug and unplug my bass amp all the time (I use that as a power amp for guitar, but standalone for bass)
    edited May 2016
    Get a 2U Matrix if you're racking up. Enough headroom for any situation. The 1u fan noise isn't an issue in a rock band but might be annoying with a woodwind section for yourself, and it is a bit annoying at home.
    edited May 2016
    Get a 2U Matrix if you're racking up. Enough headroom for any situation. The 1u fan noise isn't an issue in a rock band but might be annoying with a woodwind section for yourself, and it is a bit annoying at home.
    Far too heavy :D

I could get a pair of Tecamp 1u mono bass heads and still weigh 1.5 kg less and have no fans at all.

And they sound great (I already have one) with the Helix.

A well designed modest power amp shouldn't have any fans in it at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I wonder if you could parallel them up?
  • funkyfrazfunkyfraz Frets: 93
    Considering the amount of money people spend on pedal boards and preamp pedals, I'm quite amazed that there's not more an appetite for a wee basic power amp. 1 input, one output, one volume knob, one on/off switch barking out couple hundred watts... Must be a pretty basic bit of electronics. (I know zero about electronics so I might be miles off).
    Another plus for the magnum is it sounds pretty decent as a straight amp with or without regular pedals as well as with a preamp, so covers a lot of ground, would make a grea portable rig with the Helix. A matrix may be better but it's loads more cash, bigger and can't be used as a stand alone amp. Buy one on a 30 day return and I bet you keep it
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    I just got one of these and I was really surprised how good it sounds. I haven't tried it up loud yet but it is noticeably clearer and more 'airy' than the HB GPA400 I was using. That's now going back to Thomann.  =)

I think I will stick with Pod -> FX Return of a valve amp for gigs but I reckon the Magnum is more than good enough for practice and makes a great backup!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    The Vox MV50 Clean looks like it might be a very cool solution with its nanotube technology.  Plus there are two other variants too.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)