Can you over practise

BarneyBarney Frets: 615
Im one for getting something right before moving on but sometimes feel i am spending to much time on the one subject before moving to another so maybe the running through the same exercises or whatever isnt really doing anything

So when do we know when to move on and accept that we have learned something to the level that we can recall it ..

So when you over practise something it may not be productive practise any more because its learned so the constant repetition is just wasted time...

Im sure we all do it either in playing or in practise so i thought it might be a good point of discussion... :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Most practice patterns recommend breaking things up a bit - this is OTT, but illustrates the point.

http://jamieholroydguitar.com/jazz-guitar-practice-routine-works

Corey Christiansen explained a method where you massage the ego for a bit, going of scales/chords/tunes etc that you know, break the ego with something new, then finally rebuild the ego again.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    As I get older, I tend to move around technical roadblocks and come back to them later. 9 times out 10 it turns out that approaching them feels different than it did originally because of something else I've been working on and often I can progress through them quickly. I don't know how much of that is psychological in a kind of "I don't need you, you know...I've got other stuff to be doing" way, but it seems to be how it works for me. Since getting into bluegrass I've really had to up my game technically after decades of blues/slide/fingerstyle playing and this approach has definitely worked for me.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    i practise the same thing all the time. i feel over-practised. i just stick within my comfort-zone and do not make much development.

this is why i am not a multi-millionaire and have gigged irregularly for nearly thirty years.

learn from my mistakes.

because i haven't.