How is the second wave of weather misery treating you?

What's Hot
SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
edited December 2013 in Off Topic

'F*ck you motherf*cka!'

(Norse Translation)

Power out last week with a tree tearing down the line and power out for five days at the start of December with several trees taking out the line.  English Nature and the landowners won't let them do the required maintenance so it remains. 

Today the power is on again after a 8 hour cut, although I'm sure it'll go off for three days when it reaches tomorrow morning.  Three big trees down locally. one almost took the car out travelling in front of me.  Power down the local NIsa.  Had a icy cold shower and embraced the 60 miles an hour rain in the Morrisons car park like a Neanderthal.  I'm loving this misery and chaos, especially at this time of year  HO Ho ho, Everyone is so confused and bewildered.  Em...So long as the lights stay on.  It's like living in the Shytetland Islands or something.

Has made me realise how crap I am on the guitar though.  Playing the classical in the darkness, bored out of my tiny mind.

It's OK, you don't have to respond, I just thought that pic was funny and had to be posted.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    My shed has a roof on so cig's and booze can be utilised in relative safety.

Surprised the roof is still on the house tho. Bit windy. Went on in 1880, so I'm suitably impressed with it.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I went out about a dozen times to check my motorcycle and make sure it hadn't been blown over.
    It was fine, although others in the street went down.

Word to the wise- use the side stand, not the centre stand in a storm.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Not in my case, I've got mine on the Abba stand. Rock solid ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    That is a NICE bike mate.
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    Thanks, not bad for it's age (2000 model). Still scary quick.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4974
    edited December 2013
    Mainly Clear
    Mainly Clear
    -19.8°C
    Monday December 23, 2013 at 18:00 EST
    Pressure:102.9 kPa risingVisibility:24.1km
    Dewpoint:-21.7°C Humidity:85%
    Wind:NNE 5 km/h

Could be worse :) -27 with windchill!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    It's been raining like an absolute bastard pretty steadily all day.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    octatonic said:
    That is a NICE bike mate.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    As for weather.... try Oymyakon in Russia - currently a balmy minus 46 Celcius.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited December 2013
    Shitty night, bloody wind was howling around here. No damage, as all my tiles are nailed, but there's other friends who have lost roof tiles and are busy with buckets.

• ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited December 2013

nervous moment trundling through flood water in the car on my way in this morning.

Office car park has its fair share of branches lying about

• whoa just watching the news, feel sorry for the restaurants who are now not serving up xmas dinners, massive blow to their takings.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    edited December 2013
    We lost a couple of fence panels overnight but they'd just been blown into the neighbour's garden so I retrieved them and fixed them back this morning. Our neighbour's garden the other side looks like a war zone though. All their fences flattened, trees down, kid's play house demolished. Think we got lucky!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I've got the most ramshackle back fence in the whole street. Two of my neighbours blew away around midnight, mine is still standing.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited December 2013
    Reet windy up here but not as bad as some areas of the UK, feel for the poor folks who have no power and not much chance of having it on for tomorrow.

We have scaffolding up all round for new insulation, render and harling which makes it sound like we are in a wind tunnel, With the grafters now away for chrimbo  their bits n' bobs not nailed down are flying all over the shop. Fun and scary in equal measure.

But no flooding in our bit at all so for once we have got away with it, so far.

As @strumjoughlamps say the businesses who have been badly hit for them it couldn't have come at a worse time, no picnic for householders too though so shit all round.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2013
    Part of the flashing round our chimney is loose, so we had rain water dripping into the bedroom last night, not fun, and a pain getting hold of a friendly roofer and the insurance company today. Santa best tread carefully up there tonight.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    At least if there's a power cut tomorrow we won't starve, what with the sprouts already being on the stove.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    At least if there's a power cut tomorrow we won't starve, what with the sprouts already being on the stove.
    I hope you put them on at Whitsuntide, like I told you...

My daughter's flight from Dublin was cancelled this morning, but fortunately she managed to get on the afternoon one - just got back from the airport, and it's starting with the "wintry showers".
  • Just back after a 12 hour power cut , showerimg in the dark and cold. Thankfully not as bad as the last storm where we were off for 54 hours. I live in a town of 20,000 in the SE , so not remote. It,s the cold that gets to you. The house gets rreally cold after about 24 hours. Though luckier than many who have been flooded.