Acoustic guitar pickup woes and advice ...

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4155
    Oh and no I never tried the anthem because frankly I'd rather have a UTI than a UST
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Lewy said:
    Oh and no I never tried the anthem because frankly I'd rather have a UTI than a UST
    The anthem only uses the UST for the bass frequencies - everything under 250hz I think ... sure you can blend it to full piezo, but I have no idea who in their right mind would want to do that. It's the only system I've used to date that sounds like my guitar but louder. Nothing else I've tried comes close, and I've tried a fair few!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    I've got the B-band system and really love the output of both the piezo and soundboard transducer. The issue I have is that the model I've got doesn't have a blend control, it just uses a stereo jack (or mono for just the piezo) and I don't have an external way of blending the two signals as using two DIs and 2 mixer channels isn't practical  :(
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Lewy said:
    The anthem only uses the UST for the bass frequencies - everything under 250hz I think ... sure you can blend it to full piezo, but I have no idea who in their right mind would want to do that. It's the only system I've used to date that sounds like my guitar but louder. Nothing else I've tried comes close, and I've tried a fair few!
    Have you tried the K&K? 

You can use the full piezo for loud gigs with serious feedback issues. Great solution IMO but a bit more involved and involves electrics in the guitar, and costs £320 (not a major issue for me but K&K if ok will be £90 or so).
    UTI? Damn, I'm forgetting these TLAs.... (three letter acronyms )
    tFB Trader
    UTI? Damn, I'm forgetting these TLAs.... (three letter acronyms )
    Urinary Tract Infection ... it was a joke to express how much he disliked USTs ... :)

tFB Trader
    I should try the K&K at some point, but they are very rarely fitted to guitars from the factory, so I can't just go to a music shop to try one out. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4155
    My main objections to USTs are:

- They just sound bad for flatpicking: Even with an Aura, they don't work for that style. Yes, the Anthem only uses the UST for bass frequencies but strong rest-stoke bass notes are a big part of that style and USTs just sound brittle and nasty when responding to those.

- Structurally and compromise to the acoustic sound - tone-wise I like bone or fossilised ivory for saddle material. I don't like Tusq. USTs work best with Tusq and can have issues with the other materials. That's game over for me right there, because my acoustics are acoustic-first-and-foremost with plugging in as an occasional necessary evil. I know that a lot of people use them differently - to the point where they even plug in when playing at home, and so this point may be moot for them.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    For those talking about the plugging in of the K&K Pure Mini I have it in one of my guitars.  I've gone direct to the PA with just an Orchid DI Box and it works fine.  Soundwise it's a lot better than the Fishman "Sonitone" undersaddle in a budget Martin I've got, and it's not as good as the Fishman Ellipse Blend in my good Martin.  It's a lot cheaper than the blender and it doesn't have all the hassle with batteries.

I've had a couple of Fishman Rare Earths in the past and I really didn't like them.  I did like a Rare Earth Blend that I tried briefly - that may be the best sounding acoustic pickup I've played.  The mic adds the top end detail that the magnetic misses, and you don't have the Piezo quack.

For me, a blender of some kind is the best sound, but they cost a lot, add a lot of weight, and you have all the hassle of batteries.  For 90% of the performance with zero hassle the K&K is the best I've found.
    edited June 2016
    That's it. I'm ordering the k&k .
    Not sure about super glueing it in myself lol..
    Great thread this!

I'm going to leave off getting a strap pin fitted. 
    However I think I'll need to get the end hole enlarged for the jack...
    Somebody may already have mentioned but it looks like the Larrivee end pin is the same size as the jack for the K&K (1/2") so no drilling required!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Give me a shout if you need professional help. I've done a couple of K&K installations before, and literally hundreds of other pickups, almost all with endpin jacks. Fitting acoustics with a simple UST or contact pickup (sometimes with an endpin-mounted preamp and a battery holder on the neck block) was a bread-and-butter job all through the 90s before Taylor took over the market, and companies like Martin started playing catch-up. Before that the best acoustics you could get with really decent electrics were Takamines.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Will do :)
    I'm waiting to see if I can get one cheap on eBay first lol.
    Larrivee themselves have suggested a Baggs icut-no mix...
    edited June 2016
    I'm still confused as to what my signal chain should look like... here's what I think it should be:

Guitar -> Pre-amp -> pedals -> PA

OR....

Guitar -> DI -> PA

I need some sort of buffer between the high o/p impedance of the pickup and the lower input impedance of the pedals... so I can either go straight to DI and PA, doing all EQ etc on the PA....
    Or... I can have some sort of pre-amp / buffer which I can do some EQ on, then go into pedals (tuner etc) and then the PA? 
    I guess the question is.... DI or pre-amp?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Ideally you need a DI even if you use a preamp - you want to send the PA a balanced (XLR/mic lead type) signal, to get the best sound and lowest noise. You *can* use a 1/4" connection if it's an old-fashioned mixer amp or a mixing desk on stage with 1/4" inputs, but its not ideal.

That means even that if you use a preamp with a DI output, and you want to use pedals as well, then ideally you still need a separate DI after the pedals - unless the preamp has an FX loop, which the Baggs Para DI and the Fishman Aura (full model) both do, for example.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

So a DI is going to be a necessity... I can simply get that £25 Orchid Electronics job:

Hoping that any PA I use will be able to supply "phantom" power to it. 

I can always tune with a headstock tuner.. and assuming any PA can give me a touch of reverb in addition to the usual EQ, I'm thinking I can get away with just this K&K pickup and that £25 DI box.. Thanks for your wisdom, as ever! 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    So a DI is going to be a necessity... I can simply get that £25 Orchid Electronics job:

Hoping that any PA I use will be able to supply "phantom" power to it. 

I can always tune with a headstock tuner.. and assuming any PA can give me a touch of reverb in addition to the usual EQ, I'm thinking I can get away with just this K&K pickup and that £25 DI box.. Thanks for your wisdom, as ever! 
    If you want to play it safe on whether a PA has phantom power get the Orchid Classic DI.  I think it's around a tenner more but you can run it off a battery if you want.

Having said that most PAs will have phantom power.
    Good shout 8)
    edited June 2016
    I note the full-blown Fishman has a compressor which must be very handy to even out the volume between fingerpicking & strumming. Costly, though. Sounds great in demos. 
    Will probably go for an inexpensive Orchid Electronics box though....

More affordable version of the Aura:

--> Just bought the Orchid Micro DI for £25.

I've been reading that guitars with X-bracing, like my Larrivee, can potentially have lower output at the high-E side when using K&K pickups, the solution being to place the transducer closer to the treble side as opposed to between the E & B strings. 

I assume nobody has really come across this...