White Little Rock

JXGJXG Frets: 18
Hello all, just picked up a White Little Rock 50 combo, made in Sunderland early 80s, the preamp is loosely based on a Mesa mark II, they managed to squeeze 50 watts out of a quad of el84. I've heard they work the 84s very hard - anyone got experience of one? Worked on one? A very long shot, but if anyone has a circuit diagram that'd be great. Only had a very quick play and peek inside - looks like it's been modded for adjustable bias, sounds biased too cold to me.
Cheers, John 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I could not get a circuit diagram for love no money, mine was a 1x12 tweed combo, nice sound, very punchy. Any pics?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    I've worked on a couple, although not recently. They are very hard on valves, yes - if I remember correctly they use very high plate voltages and need to be biased cold or they'll fry them in short order. I don't have a diagram but I don't remember them being particularly complicated.

If you're interested in warming it up you might want to look at reducing the screen voltage a bit relative to the plate voltage, which should let you warm up the bias a bit without blowing the valves. I'd probably go with something tough like JJs if you don't want to spend on NOS EL84s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JXGJXG Frets: 18
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. I've got some old Mullards to go in it, hopefully get chance to have a poke about in it soon 
    Cheers, John
  • Got any pics yet ?