Bluguitar amp1

What's Hot
Anyone tried one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    There's a couple of threads on these but try this one and I think there was/are a couple of users here:-

- http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/35334/has-the-bluguitar-amp-1-died-before-it-got-going-nah/p1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok cool!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17556
    tFB Trader
    I had one and sent it back.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Same for me - but some people seem to like them more.

I think it has to be try before you buy, I loved the footprint - but didn't enjoy the simulated output, and how it reacted with pedals so much.

Honestly - didn't feel valve enough I think is my summary, but as I said - that's just me, others like them.

I wanted to like it if that helped!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Had one and sold it (thats a bit of a rarity for me)
    Great idea but all the problems I mentioned in the threads just meant I didn't use it
    If the tone was knock out I would have forgiven the rest. The big thing that annoyed be was the drop out when you engaged the boost.

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 912
    Bought one off a fellow FB member a few months ago as a back up amp for gigs. It's very small and light so perfect for that. So far I've only used it at home and it sounds OK but the controls are a bit fiddly. Not had to use it at a gig yet but it would get me out of trouble in an emergency. I don't think I'd want to use it as my main amp though.
  • @guitarmansteve77 Really enjoying mine... Living on the Vintage channel for pretty much every use. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Watched Mr Blug demonstrating his Bluguitar amp 1 on Sunday at the N'west guitar show. I wasn't that impressed with the amp.
  • I was at that show but couldn't stick around for the demo but saw him at the fret King stall playing it and the vintage channel sounded great. Wasn't sure about the higher gain mode however.
    @Norwegian_Blue in preset mode can you adjust volumes, gain and eq for say a lead and rhythm setting on the same channel?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4758
    I was at that show but couldn't stick around for the demo but saw him at the fret King stall playing it and the vintage channel sounded great. Wasn't sure about the higher gain mode however.
    @Norwegian_Blue in preset mode can you adjust volumes, gain and eq for say a lead and rhythm setting on the same channel?
    I'm awake early and can't get back to sleep, grrr. I own an AMP1 (which I like a lot) and can answer this. 

There are several different ways of controlling the AMP1 with presets/pedals. The straight answer to your specific question is "No", you can't do what you've asked in the way you've specified it - but it might not matter...  

The AMP1 signal chain is 100% analogue with a digital reverb feed into your analogue signal at the end of the chain. There are three footswitches on the amp. The Left switch toggles between the Clean channel and whichever Overdrive channel has been selected. The Centre switch toggles the Boost on/off and the Right switch toggles the Reverb on/off. The amount of Boost is set using a custom control on the side of the amp - which is fine, as it's not a control you change a lot, and probably never at a gig. The amount of Reverb you blend in is set using a standard control on the top of the amp. 

Preset Mode: 
    This allows you to store three different combinations of channel, boost and reverb into the amp and recall them using the three footswitches. The settings on the rotary controls are not stored or recalled by this process. It's easy to program and use. I've got it set up for (L) Vintage/No Boost/No Reverb, (C) Classic/No Boost/No Reverb and (R) Vintage/Boost/Reverb. You'll notice I don't have a Clean channel programmed. That's because...

If you also plug a standard tip/ring/sleeve 2 button footswitch into the footswitch socket on the back, button 1 will toggle between the Clean channel and the currently-selected Overdrive channel and button 2 will toggle the Boost on/off. 

So, if you are happy about using a set amount of Boost to change volume/gain for one channel using two presets, that can be done, but storing EQ settings is outside the scope of Preset mode and that will be the amount of Boost you have for all your sounds. 

Change In Approach:
    I've gotten best results by using the AMP1 in the way the manual suggests. It's not what I'm used to, but I like the results.

The Vintage channel is the starting point, because it has fewest controls. Even so, it's my favourite channel. I use the Gain and Master controls to find a tone I like, with the three EQ controls set to 5. Then switch to the Clean channel. The Volume control sets the level for that and also affects the tone. There is also a Custom Control on the side to change the basic tonality of the Clean channel - it goes from a clinical-sounding clean to something more Fender-ish. 

So I basically find a balance of volume settings and tones I like between those two channels. Then I move onto the other two Overdrive channels, Classic & Modern, and use their Custom Controls to set a volume balance and tone that goes with the Vintage channel. 

So what about the EQ? Well, it works like a channel strip EQ on a mixer, not like a guitar amp tonestack. The manual suggests you use it to fine tune your sound within the context of your band mix to be heard clearly. So far, so good. 

MIDI Mode:
    Just worth mentioning that I've started messing about with MIDI with the AMP1. They sell a MIDI1 adapter which plugs into the footswitch socket so you can connect whatever MIDI controller you want. Here's what I've found so far...

You can use MIDI Program Change (PC) commands to select any combination of channel, boost on/off and reverb on/off. There is a MIDI Learn capability inside the amp, so you can teach it to use whatever PC you want. 

More interestingly (esp. in the light of the original question) is the use of Control Change (CC) commands. You can use those to control three things - the overall Master volume (power amp), the channel Gain (pre-amp) and the rather nice PowerSoak. I've only used it for the PowerSoak so far (my MIDI controller at home for testing purposes is actually a keyboard). It's really good. Turning the power down from 100W to 2W makes it easy to get decent power amp tones at low volumes. 

But, in theory, you could use a MIDI footswitch controller to press one button and change channel, boost toggle, reverb toggle, preamp gain, power amp gain and PowerSoak setting. 

REMOTE1:
    I've no experience with this controller.

So, hope this helps. Any questions, I'll be happy to respond as best I can. The AMP1 isn't the best amp in the world, nor does it have the best boutique tones in the world (Vintage is very nice to my ears, though), it isn't all-valve and it doesn't all work in an instantly familiar way. However, I think it's a fine solution for people who need more than one sound onstage and play gigs in noisy venues without putting their backline through a PA. 

Sorry for the length if you've gotten this far!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Guitarmansteve77 Sorry I missed the tag in this one until now! As our Dipper friend says, I'm pretty sure that the top EQ is always whats on the dials, rather than being able to call up EQ presets... I need to spend some time playing with that mode! 
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3740
    I've just been using mine in the studio. I took it out of sheer laziness, leaving my beloved Egnater Rebel mkii at home. The band LOVE the sound. And I must say I'm happy with it. I'm using the matching Nano cab and it's terrific.

The clean channel is totally usable. I've set up the four-cable method with a T-Rex Soulmate and think it takes the overdrive beautifully.

As it stands, it's likely to see the Egnater sold. I'm impressed.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • peteri said:
    Same for me - but some people seem to like them more.

I think it has to be try before you buy, I loved the footprint - but didn't enjoy the simulated output, and how it reacted with pedals so much.

Honestly - didn't feel valve enough I think is my summary, but as I said - that's just me, others like them.

I wanted to like it if that helped!

I was at that show but couldn't stick around for the demo but saw him at the fret King stall playing it and the vintage channel sounded great. Wasn't sure about the higher gain mode however.
    I'm awake early and can't get back to sleep, grrr. I own an AMP1 (which I like a lot) and can answer this. 

There are several different ways of controlling the AMP1 with presets/pedals. The straight answer to your specific question is "No", you can't do what you've asked in the way you've specified it - but it might not matter...  

The AMP1 signal chain is 100% analogue with a digital reverb feed into your analogue signal at the end of the chain. There are three footswitches on the amp. The Left switch toggles between the Clean channel and whichever Overdrive channel has been selected. The Centre switch toggles the Boost on/off and the Right switch toggles the Reverb on/off. The amount of Boost is set using a custom control on the side of the amp - which is fine, as it's not a control you change a lot, and probably never at a gig. The amount of Reverb you blend in is set using a standard control on the top of the amp. 

Preset Mode: 
    This allows you to store three different combinations of channel, boost and reverb into the amp and recall them using the three footswitches. The settings on the rotary controls are not stored or recalled by this process. It's easy to program and use. I've got it set up for (L) Vintage/No Boost/No Reverb, (C) Classic/No Boost/No Reverb and (R) Vintage/Boost/Reverb. You'll notice I don't have a Clean channel programmed. That's because...

If you also plug a standard tip/ring/sleeve 2 button footswitch into the footswitch socket on the back, button 1 will toggle between the Clean channel and the currently-selected Overdrive channel and button 2 will toggle the Boost on/off. 

So, if you are happy about using a set amount of Boost to change volume/gain for one channel using two presets, that can be done, but storing EQ settings is outside the scope of Preset mode and that will be the amount of Boost you have for all your sounds. 

Change In Approach:
    I've gotten best results by using the AMP1 in the way the manual suggests. It's not what I'm used to, but I like the results.

The Vintage channel is the starting point, because it has fewest controls. Even so, it's my favourite channel. I use the Gain and Master controls to find a tone I like, with the three EQ controls set to 5. Then switch to the Clean channel. The Volume control sets the level for that and also affects the tone. There is also a Custom Control on the side to change the basic tonality of the Clean channel - it goes from a clinical-sounding clean to something more Fender-ish. 

So I basically find a balance of volume settings and tones I like between those two channels. Then I move onto the other two Overdrive channels, Classic & Modern, and use their Custom Controls to set a volume balance and tone that goes with the Vintage channel. 

So what about the EQ? Well, it works like a channel strip EQ on a mixer, not like a guitar amp tonestack. The manual suggests you use it to fine tune your sound within the context of your band mix to be heard clearly. So far, so good. 

MIDI Mode:
    Just worth mentioning that I've started messing about with MIDI with the AMP1. They sell a MIDI1 adapter which plugs into the footswitch socket so you can connect whatever MIDI controller you want. Here's what I've found so far...

You can use MIDI Program Change (PC) commands to select any combination of channel, boost on/off and reverb on/off. There is a MIDI Learn capability inside the amp, so you can teach it to use whatever PC you want. 

More interestingly (esp. in the light of the original question) is the use of Control Change (CC) commands. You can use those to control three things - the overall Master volume (power amp), the channel Gain (pre-amp) and the rather nice PowerSoak. I've only used it for the PowerSoak so far (my MIDI controller at home for testing purposes is actually a keyboard). It's really good. Turning the power down from 100W to 2W makes it easy to get decent power amp tones at low volumes. 

But, in theory, you could use a MIDI footswitch controller to press one button and change channel, boost toggle, reverb toggle, preamp gain, power amp gain and PowerSoak setting. 

REMOTE1:
    I've no experience with this controller.

So, hope this helps. Any questions, I'll be happy to respond as best I can. The AMP1 isn't the best amp in the world, nor does it have the best boutique tones in the world (Vintage is very nice to my ears, though), it isn't all-valve and it doesn't all work in an instantly familiar way. However, I think it's a fine solution for people who need more than one sound onstage and play gigs in noisy venues without putting their backline through a PA. 

Sorry for the length if you've gotten this far!

Hey man, thanks for the excellent review on the Amp1.  I read it a few months ago and it was a big part of the reason why I recently bought one for myself.  I've been having real issues getting the 'midi learn' function to work - as in, it doesn't work at all.  I'm also unable to assign PC changes to switch through the channel/boost/reverb combinations as well.  The midi capable controller I'm using is the Boss ES-8 and it's working fine with my other midi and analogue pedals.  If there's a trick or something you may have discovered that you can share with me to help get my midi controller switching the Amp1 channels, I would be MOST obliged.  Cheers, Steve

• @thailand_steve my mate has been trying to fathom some of it. He exchanged messages with Mr Blug but they stopped abruptly after a few MIDI questions. Odd. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    You probably have an early version of the Amp 1 before they incorporated the Midi learn function. There's a guide on the website that sets out the Midi program change numbers that are locked into the early units. You can program your footswitch to send those PC's and switch channels, boost and reverb.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4758
    edited February 2017
    drwiddly said:
    You probably have an early version of the Amp 1 before they incorporated the Midi learn function. There's a guide on the website that sets out the Midi program change numbers that are locked into the early units. You can program your footswitch to send those PC's and switch channels, boost and reverb.
    This, possibly. If you press & hold the Boost foot switch until the Reverb foot switch starts blinking, then you have "MIDI learn". (Like me). If not, you don't have it and the preprogrammed codes should work. You might even have support for the functions that toggle one thing on or off. You can't "MIDI learn" those. 

@thailand_steve  We started talking on that YouTube clip, too. I'm going to drop that and continue here now you've started on this thread. N. 
  • @drwiddly nice to see you here.  Since I do seem to be able to get into 'MIDI learn' and the preprogrammed codes don't work, I guess it's clear which unit we have.  I've made a bit of progress since yesterday, in that I can save a patch that might recall once or twice before going all squirrely - specifically switching to channels that hadn't even been programmed yet or in most cases doing nothing at all.  @imalrightjack ;Not surprising to hear that Mr. Blug doesn't want to talk about this MIDI issue.  It's a major pain in the ass for all involved, I'm sure.
    Oh well, it was worth a shot. Seems you may have a fault with the Midi in your unit. Sounds like it might be a pain getting it sorted too.  :/

When I bought my Amp 1 from a forum member, I didn't realise it was an early model and had similar issues. Once I realised, I programmed my board accordingly and it all works fine. I did contact BluGuitar via email but never received a response!
  • Especially considering I live in China and had the unit shipped here from the states :-(

• @drwiddly so the units with MIDI learn are the older or new models?